79 Puch Maxi ll auto shift barn find

Found this in a barn. Literally. A big metal barn in riverside California.

Haven't messed with it yet besides hosing off an inch of dust. Almost couldn't tell what it was.

IMG_20200910_142215.jpg
IMG_20200910_142234.jpg

my

Also picked up this Famous James Comet frame and fork, just because its neat-o.

IMG_20200910_141538.jpg

Re: 79 Puch Maxi ll auto shift barn find

Love that frame and fork.

Not sure why the PO would install the coil where it is and cut the side cover—and then add super long spark plug wire. Why?

> Steven Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Not sure why the PO would install the coil where it is and cut the side

> cover—and then add super long spark plug wire. Why?

p sure that’s where it sits stock on ZA50 maxi

Jeremy Homser /

That is the stock coil location for 2 speed maxi's

Interesting how the Austrians thought, "let's cover up this steel frame to protect it, but make sure you cut a hole for the sensitive electrical parts..."

And, "hey, let's put this petcock right here in the open so it's easy to reach. If we make it obvious, no one will kick it and break it..."

And another guy says "are you sure people will know it's a Puch? Maybe we need to mold it into every part. And add more stickers, so there's no doubt." (edited)

In Europe people tend not to kick the petcocks off people's mopeds.

And as far as the coil goes, just cutting a hole in an already existing side cover is probably a lot cheaper than developing a new side cover. They hardly changed Maxis for over 30 years, so i doubt they had a big R&D department.

Just looked up the James Comet bike. Now that's super cool. 98cc originally. Did the same owner have the frame and the maxi?

Pushrod Fifty /

The James is awesome, you could piece it together with extra parts lying around.

The za50 was designed originally intended for the Swiss market, it was a fan cooled unit with the ht coil mounted internally around the primary ignition coil. I’m guessing that they were trying to standardize the assembly process and use as many of the same parts on all USA puchs to avoid having cross over problems.

Every ZA50 I've ever seen was either American or Spanish. In Switzerland they used the Z50.

Another great idea is to mount the center stand to the engine. Brilliant. Makes pulling a motor so much easier when you have to lean it against the wall, and only work from one side.

You find the best stuff. I have had a few of these and wish I had kept at least one of them.

That old pick-up behind the first pic is so cool, your's? I would be in trouble living where cars don't rot out, all the good stuff is still around! :)

It's my buddy's. It's in almost every pic because it rarely moves. It runs fine, he just never drives it.

Imagine it drives like an oxcart, what with leaf springs and a solid front axle, but damn its solid! Always wanted to start a business bringing survivor cars like that to MN for resale, maybe a retirement business? Or something fun to do if I win the lottery. :)

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> In Europe people tend not to kick the petcocks off people's mopeds.

I meant the rider kicking it, or stomping on it when they get on the bike.

Has that ever happened? I've never seen or heard of that happening

> baird co Wrote:

> > Bas Autowas Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > In Europe people tend not to kick the petcocks off people's mopeds.

>

> I meant the rider kicking it, or stomping on it when they get on the

> bike.

I thankully have never kicked one of my petcocks on accident. Or on purpose. But I agree that most stick out pretty silly.

I don't know if it happens a lot, but mine looks like it got stepped on.

Done and for sale

IMG_20200919_115610.jpg
IMG_20200919_115804.jpg

Cleaned up very nicely, good job!

Overpriced Parts /

Looks good, puffy seat a good touch, Pedal chain tensioner missing a nut and is not tight, chain will pop/come off

You mean a back up nut on the axle end? There's only one on it now. Or is there something else for the actual chain tensioner arm? Because that's just sloppy.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

nah, the ZA50 is more popular on stock mopeds around here, the Z50's go for stupid amounts nowadays.

Never knew you guys had ZA50's in Switzerland, what's the average price for a ZA50 bottom end in Switzerland?

Chöschi21 C.K. /

anywhere between 100 and 300 is normal for one that hasnt been rebuilt, we actually got a couple of special versions that no other countrys had, like the Fan Cooled ZA50:

Herunterladen1.jpg

or the Super Maxi ZA50, wich had a Needle Bearing Crank and the Supermaxi Cylinders, Type 18 Carb and Cat-Exhausts:

Herunterladen.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account