Ciao piston 64cc recommendations

I've got a 1977 Ciao with a scratched up piston and cylinder. Looking to get a upgrade 64cc kit from Treatland. Anyone have any recommendations or experiences? Malossi, polini, Olympia? Not looking to mod/port the the engine. Just looking to install and ride.

IMG_1549.JPG

Re: Ciao piston 64cc recommendations

I got a DR kit for mine. Comes with a head too. Bolted it on with the stock pipe and gained 8mph. It's 125.00 so very affordable compared to the malossi,

Another good point is it's cast iron with a 2 ring set up so very forgiving to newb mistakes.

Dr kit is my fave too! Just be sure to upjet and do a leak down test once installed!

Overpriced Parts /

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I got a DR kit for mine. Comes with a head too. Bolted it on with the

> stock pipe and gained 8mph. It's 125.00 so very affordable compared to

> the malossi,

>

> So it goes 28mph now?

> Joe Runkle Wrote:

> I've got a 1977 Ciao with a scratched up piston and cylinder. Looking to

> get a upgrade 64cc kit from Treatland. Anyone have any recommendations

> or experiences? Malossi, polini, Olympia? Not looking to mod/port the

> the engine. Just looking to install and ride.

That is more than a scratch bro!!. I would do a full rebuild. Not worth spending the cash on a kit and not doing bearings and seals

Yeah I you are probably right. Its a nice bike and I've put a lot into it. I haven't done a full engine rebuild yet, but I'm confident I can take it apart and put it back together its the identifying problems, correct parts and figuring out the timing is where I'm lacking skills.

CP6D8531.5.jpg

What causes a piston to chunk out like this? Running it with no oil?

> Joe Runkle Wrote:

> What causes a piston to chunk out like this? Running it with no oil?

Air leaks. Leaky decomp, head leak seal leak or base gasket leak. Expands piston the soft seized. Could be lots of other reasons too, but usually air leaks.

If you don’t rebuild the bottom end I would a get a seal for it. Easy to pop out the old one and press a new one in. I can’t remember the size but I think 1/2” pvc pipe works great as a seal press for vespa. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > cheetahchrome . Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I got a DR kit for mine. Comes with a head too. Bolted it on with the

>

> > stock pipe and gained 8mph. It's 125.00 so very affordable compared

> to

>

> > the malossi,

>

> >

>

> > So it goes 28mph now?

Good ole Can't Roff is still perpetuating this myth lol. My ciao does 45 mph and literally picks the front end up in corners.

In your case, go Olympia.

Olympia. I've done two kits . I'm no mechanic, but if you follow instructions. Download manuals , be patient ,you'll get it right the first time. 8)

Even if I wasn't going to case match I would do a Mallossi instead of the Olympia, quality is sooooo much better.

These are very easy motors to rebuild, definitely worth doing if its a bike you are going to keep around.

vespa is definitely one of the hardest for cross compatibility, with the case induction and 3 stud pattern each manufacturer got pretty creative with piston ports and boosts that don't come close to lining up between brands. You can't really just replace a piston, do a whole kit

Sweet bike

Ok I've got it all apart and going to rebuild it. Just checking I want the 12 pin version (12mm) not the 10 pin.

IMG_E2219.JPG
IMG_E2221.JPG

Ok I'm going with the 64cc Olympia. Can I use my stock Ciao head or do I need to buy a new head cylinder with the kit?

I would buy the matching head. Try to get one that has the Decomp valve installed. If your going with the olympia 43 12 pin, it comes with a matching head

Dirty30 Dillon /

You should replace the crank while it's all out, tbh. The brass bushings in these do not respond well to higher power and especially not well to RPM's

Also Joe, not that it matters. The kit comes without instructions. As a rookie I just read old threads , to make sure the arrow on the piston as a point downward to exhaust. Have fun.

I see treatland has a few 12 pin cranks. Got a recommendation?

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=ciao+crank

Dirty30 Dillon /

For standard builds, these are great .

ok it in the basket too. dose it matter the kit comes with a 12mm pin and the crank comes with a needle bearing?

You want the needle bearing and 12 mm pin. That is the point of replacing the crank. The brass bushing on the old crank is inferior to the roller bearing crank that you're upgrading to. (edited)

ah ok I get it. Everything is ordered.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account