Maxi vs. Pinto

Hi Guys

I've narrowed my search and found some Maxis that meet my needs (great condition, low mileage, etc.) but in the process have found some JC Penny Pintos which I believe also use the Puch E50 engine. The Pintos look like they have a beefier frame than the Maxi and appear to be well made. The Pintos I found are minty and a little less expensive than the Maxis. Any opinions on the Pintos?

-MKL

Re: Maxi vs. Pinto

Pintos are great. Just like the Maxi they can have an e50 or the 2 speed motor.

Pintos have removable gas tanks and are more rare than the maxi I think...

They are both good choices. Good luck.

Swingers and Pintos all had E50's (single speed) in the states.

So I know E50 parts are no problem - do I need to be worried about other Pinto-specific parts, or is it all basically the same bunch of suppliers and you just "engineer" things to fit as necessary? The Pintos I see are low mileage (under 1200 miles) and look very clean and new.

-MKL

pintos generally use maxi stuff but yeah, engineer something to fit. I put a K10 fork and MLM swingarm on one to fit a bigger rear tire. That raised the bike enough to need a magnum length kickstand. It's all just change something then change something else. haha

IMG_9717.jpg

Love my Pinto! The removable gas tank is a huge plus.

up shits creek /

Pinto gas tank bigger Than maxi?

RZ Namllow /

Pinto is better. Its tube frame. Carburetor is also more accessible on tube frame. (edited)

Both are good but on looks alone the pinto all the way.

I'd take a pinto over a maxi any day

The Freespirit is the piece of shit of the three.

Either is great but I would take a ratty maxi over a ratty pinto if we are only considering aesthetics.

Overpriced Parts /

> Nile Muti Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The Freespirit is the piece of shit of the three.

How is that so? Freespirit has better forks/suspension, better seat

aesthetically speaking Roffman, the Freespirit is just as ugly as that AMF

In this case, everything I'm looking at is very minty. Seems to me that the Pinto is a beefier machine, though not quite as pretty to my eyes as the Maxi. Perhaps due to nostalgia.

-MKL

My first bike was a pinto. She went thru a lot of changes over the years I had her running. I do miss that bike. Just a style preference really. Both are great bikes. It is about the e50 engine really.

20140204_134905.jpg

They can be made to look way cool.

RZ Namllow /

A free spirit is basically a step-thru magnum. Same sized frame.

20200722_200627.jpg

up shits creek /

Pinto and swinger are uglier than a free spirit. *hides*

RZ Namllow /

Oh ya. A free spirit ain't bad looking. I prefer over pinto any day.

1978-mean-spirit-moped_1977-mopeds_1.jpg

RZ Namllow /

You can fit 2.75 michelin gazelles on a free spirit front and back and they don't rub.

Beat that with a stick

Emil Kniemel /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Nile Muti Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The Freespirit is the piece of shit of the three.

>

> How is that so? Freespirit has better forks/suspension, better seat

Also longer (magnum length) swing arm.

As stated, and in general, Puch drivetrain components all came from the same parts bins so mechanically they range from similar to the same.

The forks and suspension of the two are exactly the same but Pintos have a lot of advantages over Maxis In that the frames are far stronger, much easier to access the carb & wiring. The Pinto is an open platform that offers far less restrictions to modifications.

That said, the Free Spirit is far better moped than either of those two. It’s a bigger, more comfortable moped. The forks and swing arms are longer, beefier, perform better and withstand far more abuse than the Pinto/Maxi. Also, the rack mount structure on the Pinto frame is prone to splitting if it isn’t shored up enough - I’ve seen that on quite a few of them.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so you decide what is more pleasing to look at but I tend to avoid Maxis, get Pintos to fix and flip, and the Free Spirits tend to stick around here longer.

Good info there, thanks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account