Moped keys

Michael Shogren /

Just bought a Cimatti City Bike and I’m curious on how the key in the forks work. To replace it I’ll have to drill the old key out.

Re: Moped keys

> Michael Shogren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just bought a Cimatti City Bike and I’m curious on how the key in the

> forks work. To replace it I’ll have to drill the old key out.

Or find a good locksmith and get one made for $5-10. Fork locks don't really help prevent theft though.

They work by locking the forks fully to the left or right. So a thief can't ride it.

But they can ya know, just carry it

Half of the bikes stolen in Columbus this summer have been chained to something with the forks locked. Cut the lock and carry it away is how it's done, I had a motorcycle stolen with the forks locked and mopeds are much easier to carry/load into a van

Jesus I was looking into moving to Columbus. Hmmm

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> Jesus I was looking into moving to Columbus. Hmmm

Nah Columbus is an awesome place to live, we have a great moped scene and it's culturally a cool city.

I got my KE100 stolen cause I parked it on a main road in the same place uncovered not chained to anything for 10 months straight. People who get their peds stolen are usually using really shitty bicycle cable locks (dude got a custom powdercoated hobbit stolen cause he had it locked to his back porch with a $10 cable lock and his kryptonite lock still on the luggage rack. When we recovered it the thief had tried to cut the kryptonite off the luggage rack to no avail). My girlfriend's roommate got her MINT oil injection Grande stolen out of her garage cause she didn't lock the man door. Theft is never the fault of the owner but there's almost always just a little more effort that could have been done to prevent it. I could have put my Kryptonite disc lock on my KE that night but was too tired to spend the 30 seconds doing it and walked inside my apartment instead. (edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Way back in 1980, the fork lock was the only thing that stopped a dirtbag kid from stealing my 1978 Garelli GS LTD. My bike had a cheap cable lock on it that the thief cut with a pair of dykes, but he couldn’t ride away with it because I had locked the front fork. When my friends and I spotted him attempting to steal it, we ran after the SOB but he got away.

Times have changed since 1980 and thieves have become more sophisticated in their thefts, but that fork lock was the only thing keeping my bike from being stolen. My point is...if you’ve got a working lock, use it! (edited)

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> Times have changed since 1980 and thieves have become more sophisticated

> in their thefts, but that fork lock was the only thing keeping my bike

> from being stolen. My point is...if you’ve got a working lock, use it!

Definitely, a fork lock saved my DT50 for the same reason, I saw them trying to carry it away down an alley way. But if I had a disc lock on the rear sprocket it would have never gotten that far in the first place. People get a false sense of security from fork locks so I try to preach that they're only ever so slightly better than no lock at all.

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> Way back in 1980, the fork lock was the only thing that stopped a

> dirtbag kid from stealing my 1978 Garelli GS LTD. My bike had a cheap

> cable lock on it that the thief cut with a pair of dykes,...

Clearly, they were butch dykes and not lipstick lesbians.

Isn't is so much easier to use a fork lock if your going to 711 for a couple minutes. Do you really think someone is going to throw your moped in a van in that time and drive off. We all know that chains are good but fork locks serve a purpose too. I haven't heard of a moped stolen from a rally eithor but a fork lock would be a good idea for rally's too.

Fork locks are great . But , if I have to stick my key in another hole every time I get off ...

I make sure all my bike locks work as they should , even though a lock may never or rarely get used , like a fork or helmet lock .

If a lock even looks freshly used it can deter miscreants . ;)

Bad Cadillac™ /

If no keys, the locks must be drilled. Good luck getting a locksmith to make a key.

I took a vintage padlock to my locksmith before and he said he can't make a key

He then showed me his cabinet full of locks without keys...

Drill it out and replace with new, that what I did to my three.

I always us the fork lock and lock them to something. The more locks the better!

> Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> The more locks the better!

Or , live where those^ aren't needed . ;)

> Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> If no keys, the locks must be drilled. Good luck getting a locksmith to

> make a key.

>

> I took a vintage padlock to my locksmith before and he said he can't

> make a key

>

> He then showed me his cabinet full of locks without keys...

That's funny, I have a friend who knows a locksmith who makes him any key he needs. Fork lock, gas tank, anything without issue and he says the dude only charges like $8/key

Bad Cadillac™ /

Yeah, it is funny.

> Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> Yeah, it is funny.

Funny that he's allowed to call himself a locksmith when he can't undo a lock . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account