Broken rocker arms stopping flywheel?

My moped broke down one day and after I opened it i found out that my flywheel/ variator don’t move when I try to turn it so I thought it was something to do with my crankshaft but I just seen this and it made me curious as to if this was the problem

image.jpg

Re: Broken rocker arms stopping flywheel?

Oh no!

Well I have to ask the obvious question... did you degrease this area before the picture or is this what it looked like when you opened it.

Screenshot111.png

Looks like you didn't have any oil in this thing. Also this is a vintage 2 stroke pedal moped forum and you've got a modern 4 stroke scooter.

I just opened it and that’s what it looked like, Is that what is causing my flywheel not to move freely?

Probably.

I hate to say it but yes this is a 4 Stroke engine and should have had an oil level in it.

Your engine is a boat anchor now. Very sorry. Seriously no way to rebuild it.

Now if you did have oil in the Crankcase, which I think you did not, then it is a factory failure of the oil pump.

Either way you are shit out of luck.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Come on now guys, that looks like there might be a slight hint or suggestion that oil might have been on the valve spring head at one point.

Sorry dude, that motor is roached.

Can you explain the whole oil thing to me, this is my first vehicle that I’ve bought and I bought it brand new, I’ve rode it for all most 4000 miles, is there supposed to be a more significant amount of oil there?

If you bought it brand new... did you read the manual? There would have been a maintenance section in there. Not to be an asshat but it is very important to read this and understand it.

A 4 Stroke is basically a small version of a car engine it requires oil in the engine to lubricate the whole engine. Just like a car you need to check the oil. I certainly hope you check the oil level in your car if you have one.

Now if you ran this for 4000 miles it must have had some oil in it. An engine like this with no oil it it will last minutes. As it runs there will be some losses and the oil level will drop. Since you did not check the level and it ran dry. A very expensive lesson for you.

These are cheaply made motors and they will burn oil due to crappy quality control. So again the maintenance required to check the oil level and ad the right amount of oil required is an absolute necessity if you want it to run a long a fruitful life. Also after a certain set of miles as stated in the manual you need to change the oil.

FYI if you get another you better read the manual and understand the maintenance required of you as the rider and owner. or you will be wasting a lot of money.

Sorry again, I feel for you but this thing is Junk... if you buy another just like it you can keep this for parts? The engine is junk but other parts are still good.

Step one: Go to a scooter form.

Steph two: they will tell you the same thing, motor is toast.

Steph 3 buy a new motor on eBay those things are a dime a dozen.

And not trying to be rude but the is a vintage moped forum not a Chinese scooter forum.

> EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Step one: Go to a scooter form.

>

> Steph two: they will tell you the same thing, motor is toast.

>

> Steph 3 buy a new motor on eBay those things are a dime a dozen.

>

> And not trying to be rude but the is a vintage moped forum not a

> Chinese scooter forum.

Got to say at least it’s gas and not electric. No ones giving the ebike dudes any guff for posting wtb Onyx every week........

Also your engine is done like everyone is saying, but hey ya got a fun 4000 miles out of it!!

> Jackerz ! Wrote:

> Got to say at least it’s gas and not electric. No ones giving the ebike

> dudes any guff for posting wtb Onyx every week........

>

I mean an onyx is a moped in the sense it has an electric mofor and pedals, this looks like a scooter motor to me. And there are people like me who are knowledgeable about electric moped and motorcycle powertrains on this forum

I got the oil changed at 300, 1200, 2600 and I changed it myself not to long ago, I put 750 mls of the right oil and I thought that was all I had to do, I might’ve rubbed some off with my finger while inspecting it, is there a possibility that whatever is broken can be replaced with a new part and that will fix it, I was thinking of just buying a big bore kit bc they come with all the parts. Sorry I posted on the wrong forums this is my first time reaching out like this

The damage is done but you can try and fix it. You could buy part after part but it might just save you time and money to just get a new one. I really liked my kymko like200 for a bit, never had any failure like this happen but if I did I’d prob just get a new engine instead of trying to figure out what failed.

Also like Eric said this is a two stroke site but ebike are allowed? Nah man, no way. If this guy put pedals on is scoot would you feel more comfortable? Y’all ridiculous..

Try 49ccScoot they are the site you need

> Jackerz ! Wrote:

> Also like Eric said this is a two stroke site but ebike are allowed? Nah

> man, no way. If this guy put pedals on is scoot would you feel more

> comfortable? Y’all ridiculous..

I stand by my point, the original idea behind mopeds is that you sit on it like a bicycle and use motor power. Same is true for bikes with electric motors, throttles and pedals like the onyx. How many people have put electric powertrains on traditional moped frames and it's turned out rad as fuck? A good number

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> > Jackerz ! Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Also like Eric said this is a two stroke site but ebike are allowed?

> Nah

>

> > man, no way. If this guy put pedals on is scoot would you feel more

>

> > comfortable? Y’all ridiculous..

>

> I stand by my point, the original idea behind mopeds is that you sit on

> it like a bicycle and use motor power. Same is true for bikes with

> electric motors, throttles and pedals like the onyx. How many people

> have put electric powertrains on traditional moped frames and it's

> turned out rad as fuck? A good number

Vintage two stroke forum dingus.... a ebike is neither, case and point.

> Jackerz ! Wrote:

> > Nick Haber Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Jackerz ! Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Also like Eric said this is a two stroke site but ebike are allowed?

>

> > Nah

>

> >

>

> > > man, no way. If this guy put pedals on is scoot would you feel more

>

> >

>

> > > comfortable? Y’all ridiculous..

>

> >

>

> > I stand by my point, the original idea behind mopeds is that you sit

> on

>

> > it like a bicycle and use motor power. Same is true for bikes with

>

> > electric motors, throttles and pedals like the onyx. How many people

>

> > have put electric powertrains on traditional moped frames and it's

>

> > turned out rad as fuck? A good number

>

> Vintage two stroke forum dingus.... a ebike is neither, case and point.

It's a moped forum. I have vintage 2 strokes and I post them on the off-topic forum cause my RZ350 isn't a moped.

Edit: new Tomos were made til like 2019, not vintage by any means. Does that mean they don't belong on this forum? (edited)

When mopeds were made in the 70s they were not electric right?? This is a vintage two stroke forum, not a e bike forum. People get shit on when they post the cheap tweaker bikes up on here all the time but for some reason the ebikes slide. Fuck that. Also you just got your rz so quit acting like your a hot dog, you haven’t even had time to wreck it yet. I’ve had 2t 500cc bikes for years, who gives a fuck. Ur a dingus.

> > EH FCC of the QCB Wrote:

> Also your engine is done like everyone is saying,

> but hey ya got a fun 4000 miles out of it!!

========================================

My 1982 Yamaha Towny has 4709 miles. When does the fun start?

DSCN4169.JPG

^ The fun is that you can put another 4k on it! :)

Overpriced Parts /

> Jackerz ! Wrote:

> When mopeds were made in the 70s they were not electric right?? This is

> a vintage two stroke forum, not a e bike forum. People get shit on when

> they post the cheap tweaker bikes up on here all the time but for some

> reason the ebikes slide. Fuck that. Also you just got your rz so quit

> acting like your a hot dog, you haven’t even had time to wreck it yet.

> I’ve had 2t 500cc bikes for years, who gives a fuck. Ur a dingus.

500cc Kawasaki Mach III‘s ?

Can you post some pictures, love doubles and triples 2t motorcycles

I hear you like 2-Stroke triples. For your viewing pleasure my 1974 Kawasaki H2 with Denco 120KC engine and Tracy Body. It has been on hold for a few years as I buy the required parts to finish it. Plus other projects have pushed it aside for way too long. I hope to get moving on it this summer. After 2 other projects are finished. LOL!

P1010002.jpeg

Ethan Docimo... Purchasing the parts required to repair the engine is going to be way more than a new motor or even a new scooter. Sure there are parts available and you could remove the engine and start a rebuild but the list of bad parts will be insanely high. Crank, bearings, new Head, Camshaft, Gaskets, seals and do not get me going on the parts in the trans that are most certainly bad. Identifying each part looking for them and then hoping you got everything right... it is not going to happen. Hell I have rebuilt a number of engines and would not even think of doing this one.

Someone said look on eBay for a new engine, this is your best chance at getting it going. It is probably the cheapest other than a new scooter.

I have no idea what oil you were changing or when. Bottom line here is that engine had little to no oil in it when it died.

Again I feel for you as it sucks but this is the way it is. A hard lesson learned.

One last thought for you... you say you can not turn the variator. I assume this is on the crankshaft. Can you rock it a little back and forth? If so remove the timing chain and see if the camshaft is frozen and maybe the bottom end is ok and the top end is shot. But I feel this is still a waste of time as the engine will still have shit tons wrong with it.

Pushrod Fifty /

I brought a 1985 Evinrude outboard on CL. Pretty mint condition, lightly used, just needed a fuel pump rebuild. The post showed it on a boat and the guy used it on a lake. I went to change the lower unit oil in it and nothing came out. No evidence that oil was ever in it, looked just like the OP's, bone dry. I pumped oil into it and out of the top hole into a rag, no metal particles. I have used it on a long run about 15 miles round trip and no issues. Shifts fine and no noise or loose shaft. Baffling.

Did everyone else notice the massive crack in the photo? I don't know 4 strokes well but depending on that location it may have leaked out the oil?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^good catch. That’s a big f’n crack.

thats the cam journal, your rocker arm looks fine. engine is not a boat anchor. worst case scenario it needs a new head, but it looks like you can just replace the cam journals. The cams also might be damaged under that. Agreed with what everyone else said, it looks dry as a bone in there. I would probably check the oil pump and the oil channels for blockage. (edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account