California moped reg with no bill of sale

Carl Johnson /

In the wiki here it says California doesn't check the "from" name/signature on moped transfer paperwork so you can just put anyone and have them sign. In my case this is on a moped that already had a California plate.

This is wrong. DMV sent me a letter that now I need a bill of sale to show the proper chain of custody. But at least now I have the seller's name.

I don't have bill of sale because my dad found this moped at a garage sale for cheap and the seller was a super-flake. Might be able to still track him down I guess.

Any advice here? I guess I'll update the wiki.

Re: California moped reg with no bill of sale

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

"Sell" it to someone and have them "sell" it back to you ;)

Carl Johnson /

I can't. I don't "own" it yet.

Fill out section 1,2 and five on reg 230 and send it in with a check for $23 and get a plate and a title. No bos needed bruh

Carl Johnson /

Yeah I guess I can try pretending it doesn't have a plate. That's probably where I went wrong.

That is if I don't just put the old owner's name on the updated paperwork. Gee, I would never, ever think of doing that.... DMV already cashed my $23...

My carabela registration came back saying it was already registered in California. It came with a statement of facts sheet. I told them I bought it from an estate sale with no paperwork, and sent in a pic of the bike in the disassembled, rusty basket case condition I got it in.

They sent me the new paperwork, but no plate. The registration has an old plate listed with a BO prefix, which would be a blue plate.

Sent them another letter about that, and they're sending me a new plate with an updated registration paper.

It's been two months so far, but at least the bike's legally mine.

From now on, I'm sending in a bill of sale (a real one, of course. I would never... Cough cough... Send them a fake one) and a pic of the basket cases when I apply.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

> Carl Johnson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I can't. I don't "own" it yet.

Michigan laws are a little different. If a bike hasn't been registered in X amount of time it they don't care about chain of custody as long as the vin comes back clean. I have bought and sold many bikes from and to friends of mine over the years.

when the moped dept sends u the name, its a given, just think.... u dont even have to guess, knickles. re read the wiki fill it all out with the proper owners name on the bill of sale, and send another 23 for the info, etc.

My carabela registration came back saying it was already registered in California. It came with a statement of facts sheet. I told them I bought it from an estate sale with no paperwork, and sent in a pic of the bike in the disassembled, rusty basket case condition I got it in.

Going through the same thing. Filed as new registration and got back letter requiring BOS from unknown current owner. They also sent a DMV issue check for the fees I sent.

Basket case bike. I sent them back pics of the disassembled frame and closeups of the vin. explaining where I got it and have know way of knowing the current owners name. It's been over two months and nothing .

I explained that the phone number they provided on the letter will not answer even after I tried 15 times over 5 days.

I really think they are not going to help me on this one.

Been ridding the now restored bike with fake plate.

Fake plates can get you into big trouble. Although you're probably less likely to be pulled over, if you are, you can get your bike impounded, charged with theft, falsifying documents, and all sorts of nasty stuff.

It's better to keep a copy of the registration form you filled out with you, and tell the cops you're waiting for the plate.

I was told by the DMV that it's legal to ride a bike while waiting on the registration, just like a car waiting for new stickers.

campeona del mundo /

just don't register it. 49cc motorized bicycle no license required

Carl Johnson /

Registration and license are two different things. But anyway, it depends if this model was/is rated for 20mph max or 30mph max. The former you are correct. The latter does need registration by law.

https://www.motorizedbicyclehq.com/motorized-bicycle-laws-california/

Wrong. 406b is for electric bikes, no license required.

406a is for gas bikes, license, registration, m2, dot helmet, headlight, taillight, brake light, left mirror and horn required.

No insurance or turn signals required.

The same thing happen to me here in California. I bought a Ciao off Jeff Johnson who use to own CHOKE Moped shop in LA. I sent the registration in and filled in his name as seller. DMV sent it back saying it was register to someone other than Jeff and wanted a bill of sale from previous owner and bill of sale from him to me (which I had but did not originally send in with paper work. No problem, I just contacted Jeff who had forgot he hadn't changed over the registration. He told me the name of the previous owner and I asked if it was ok to "produce" a bill of sale from him to Jeff and did. Try and contact the previous owner and let him know your problem and try and find out the owners name he bought it from. send in both bill of sales and you should be fine.

> campeona del mundo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> just don't register it. 49cc motorized bicycle no license required

Also DUI ok!

Fake plates can get you into big trouble

Well actually the plate I am using is from another bike that is registered to me so I figured I could play dumb with the cop and say I must have mixed up the two plates when doing some restoration work on the two bikes.

Just move to another state...problem solved

Just got off the phone with the DMV to find out if the Puch and the Cuyuna Scorpion I'm selling are clean.

Nope.

Puch is still in the system, even though the guy I got it from had it at least 15 years.

DMV told me I'd have to file a lien on it, claiming its been abandoned on my property. He also told me it would take a long time to settle it.

The Cuyuna Vin number is registered and current. But not to the Cuyuna. Or to an NVT. Basically, someone else is either using my Vin, or has the same Vin on their bike.

To fix that I have to get it inspected and verified.

I checked my Ducati Piuma 48 and it's clean. So that's good news.

Also, the two Moby's I got are also in the system. So that sucks. I have a pile of mopeds that don't legally belong to me.

Time to get creative.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account