Anyone ever attempt to register an emoped as motorcycle?

Chris Hendrickson /

I’ve been eyeing up the Onyx RCR and the black tea.

However, I’m also considering the Huck cycles stinger 3000w motorcycle for the sake of easy registration. But, I am leaning towards the black tea because it can do some off-road shit (and frankly, seems more off-road capable than the Onyx) and you can expand the battery pack. The onyx is just sexy, and I can still go off-roading with it, but it doesn’t come with a VIN.

I live in a rural area, and want to navigate these country roads 15 miles to work. When I lived in a city, I would commute by moped and miss it. I also want to get into commuting by battery, and electric cars are substantially more expensive. My problem is, I don’t want a legal grey area, and I want to use the moped to it’s absolute Limit. Living where I do, having the capacity to go over 40mph is awesome, and to have something under 5k that will allow me to do that is sweet. Also, I can cut my commute down by navigating some atv trails, making the black tea a fun way to commute to work, making the black tea more awesome.

The black Tea’s website states that it has to be registered as a moped only. In my state of Pennsylvania, it meets most of the requirements to be street legal(even though, I’m not sure the tires have the DOT stamp). So I wonder if it would be similar to registering a dirt bike as a street legal motorcycle?

Does anyone have any experience registering a higher powered moped to allow you to go vroom vroom legally? Could use some insight.

Thanks y’all. (edited)

Re: Anyone ever attempt to register an emoped as motorcycle?

Terbo Speghetti /

You should ask this on a website that's not for vintage mopeds.

Yeah, some of us play with electric stuff, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree. At best, this belongs in the "off topic" section

Chris Hendrickson /

My apologies,

I’ll remove it.

Nah you're good it's a valid question

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nah you're good it's a valid question

No it’s not ya dingus

Terbo Speghetti /

> Nick Haber Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nah you're good it's a valid question

You should just move everything you post to off-topic

My coworker has a shyte electric scooter, no license or tags or insurance needed in this part of CanadaLand, he is about 40km from work so just under a hour commute. He has it modified for better than the legal prescribed 50km/h, dont know what he did but anyhow it moves quite decently. He parks it in the back at the shipping dock indoors and plugs in while he works because the overspeed draws hard on the batteries apparently.

Getting him to hook me up, cost him like 300$ for the shyte scooter because it needed batteries, all his phoquing around and batteries and such he said he could build me one for 900$.

^rambling story just to get to the point of suggesting to check with electric scooter folks and get one second (third forth whatever) hand and save some $

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account