Re: E-trike Build

> Gator San Juan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> The purpose of the electric motor is what Graham originally brought up,

> low end torque for take off. I don't plan on using it for more than

> that. This is a neighborhood cruiser. If you have ever ridden one of

> these, you don want more than 30 mph any way. Anything above that they

> get sketchy.

If you're using the electric motor for low end torque only then why didn't you use a much larger sprocket like the 60 tooth one? The trike accelerates like a banshee even with thie ICE motor:

Trike with 60 tooth rear sprocket

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Yah I agree get whatever comes along to get you hooked but if you have a fancy controller you can start salvaging motors out of shop equipment and such..

But yah little motor like that or a Squirrel Cage motor would be good for a trike

I am having so much fun with this. The dual motor thing should be fun. Left hand electric, right hand gas. The current thumb throttle I have on the left wont work with the on off switch there. It's an awkward reach. I have ordered several other thumb throttles to try out. There are some limiting factors with regard to the e-throttle here: (1) the starter clutch cable gets in the way; (2) on the right side, the throttle cable gets in the way. I have ideas to make it work but I need to work them out. I am also adding a little rocker switch to be able to go in reverse. That seems sketchy but why not?

IMG_2476.jpeg

Yeah I think for a lot of people myself included coming from buying a non runner for 150 then adding 300 bucks of parts to have a solid 45 mph bike .... Dropping 2200 on the parts to 'do it right' and taking a leap of blind faith into totally new tech is pretty intimidating. I already have enough unfinished ~$500 projects laying around...

Yeah - that's exactly where I am at Graham.

Got the battery mounted and used a locking mechanism so battery cannot be removed without the key. It slides in to place and can then be locked. Made charging port and USB port accessible as well.

IMG_2480.jpeg
IMG_2483.jpeg
IMG_2481.jpeg

wow i love it!

the fact that you can hide it all on the trike makes it so worth it.

Got the throttles figured out by reversing the ebike throttle switch and voltage display. You push forward on the left thumb. I also went with the integrated switch that I converted to a forward and reverse switch instead of on and off. I can control on and off through the battery lock. The right side is regular gas throttle and the 3 stage power switch for the emotor. Next up is wiring the controller and tucking it under the frame. Lastly, I plan on building some type of enclosure for this so you wont see any of it. I am thinking almost like a bench seat style that the bottom opens up - similar to a VW "Z-Bed"

IMG_2484.jpeg
IMG_2485.jpeg

cool cool, yeah i had a similar thought on the Cranks trike to use pole barn tin over a wood frame and kinda give it that corrugated look like a Cushman Truckster or the VW/military thing. Light weight, cheap, and you can paint it whatever color because its steel.

Controller on and a piece of light sheet metal to protect it from grease slinging up from chain.

IMG_2487.jpeg

Then on to wiring.

IMG_2488.jpeg

scroll through this dude’s insta posts about electric trikes. He did a good job hiding most of the electronics under a false basket/trunk https://instagram.com/inspireoahu?igshid=1dwi13hiz1ny5

A bit of aluminum flashing could have that chain pretty well encased , in short order .

A couple screws to secure it and for easy removal , when needed .

There's nothing sad about any of this...this is brilliant stuff here where someone with a cool idea and ambition is doing the best they can with what they got for as cheap as possible essentially as a proof of concept. Granted, that proof of concept is going to be ridden until it breaks and modified and ridden until that breaks and so on, which gets at the only real issue with any of this; safety. Who gives a shit what your welds look like so long as they hold under load? Maybe give everything a real proper shimmy and shake once it's together before riding to test that? Or hell, what part of the country are you in? If in the northeast, just come to my shop and practice and learn. Regardless, you're doing an awesome thing here and forget everyone saying otherwise...

What capacity battery is that?

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words. You are right, I am just working through the idea of electrifying a Pryor trike. I rode it yesterday and it works! Today, I am going to mess with starting via electric and then hitting the gas motor. We will see. Hope to have a video soon.

Let me go on record as being against hacking up a really nice trike which is kinda rare. But I wouldn't be against leaving the gas drive train and adding a hub motor on the front wheel, effectively having a hybrid.

Hey Dave - you are mistaken. Not one thing has been cut on this bike. All I have done is add reinforcement for the e-motor. That can all be ground off anyway. I have not removed the gas motor but instead added another rear sprocket (again not cutting anything but using the existing bolts that go through the differential). So yes, this is a hybrid. Take a look at the earlier pics and you will see what I am talking about.

Thanks.

Just rode it. Here are my impressions and they are pretty close to what WillD describes, just on a trike. Take off is great on a combination of electric and gas - it will move but just electric is not that great. Climbing hills is amazing! Also, a little gas and electric can be VERY complimentary to each other. The top speed is beyond anything I am willing to do on a trike. Maybe I need a Buzzard to test it for me. :-)

Let me go on record by saying that it's just a stupid moped, so who cares, chop it all you want.

And

All these trikes are basically garage hack jobs anyhow, made out of angle iron and riding lawnmower parts. Most important thing is to ride it. I think all of this is tasteful as hell and only makes it better.

Great work! Let's see some videos!

3 motors, 1 for each wheel or go the fuck home!

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Run the gas motor at optimal RPM and charge the batteries with it

Here you go - you will never get this time back in life...

Nothing like making stupid videos on a Sunday morning. That thing is a blast to ride. Definitely impressed.

Ha . 8 minutes was worth the grin .

Looks like a bunch of fun . :)

Loved the video. It hurts me how much I miss big swoop shop hangs and it thoroughly reminded me of that. Cant wait to see you two playboys.

This is awesome, inspiring me to do something similar on my Tr-ped. Hills are a pain when I am loaded up with people, it would be great to have a bit of a boost.

Do it! It's pretty easy! I can easily carry other people on it.

Lol the video is great! Miss you guys!

Haha oh man finally caught the video that's awesome. You can hear just from how quick the rpm of the motor picks up that it's scootin'

Thanks for the shout out glad I could help you take stupid trike tech to the NXT LVL.

you're gonna need a leopard print double seat for all the honeys you're gonna be hauling on that thing.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account