Re: The worst moped i've ever bought

Captain Janeway /

A brand new Tomos Targa. Smoked like I was trailing one of those old mosquito spray trucks. Dealer couldn't figure it out and at that point I didn't know what I know now. Dumped it for basically nothing

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Motomatic Nate taught me the trick for Batavus that should work for Solo:

Attach fixed pulley to output shaft, use clutch pulley

Pretty sure it even says that on treats now too

Someone saw this post and took pity on me, I was able to snag this lil guy for $175 this morning and got in running good before my wife noticed I was home.

IMG_20201017_110754.jpg

I'm gonna run the other one over with my truck, cut it in half, and throw it back in the lake.

Just kidding... I actually might do an electric build sometime this winter. As for the 'good' v1 motor, I've got something really stellar planned.

I'd buy those snowflakes from ya.

Nice for the price!

Be careful. Motrons breed easily. I have 3 green, 3 yellow, 2 red, a black, and a silver, plus I had snagged a $25 red parts bike with a welded frame.

The green is my favorite, partly because it was my first, and also because of the stainless steel fenders and the little book rack on the gas tank.

FYI, that seat probably isn't original, and there should be a black plastic piece covering the back, although it's strictly cosmetic.

What's the mileage?

Haha yeah, seat definitely not OEM, I have a clean motron seat in the barn so I'll pop that on.

Is got 3500 on the clock, but nice and greasy, everything moves and turns smooth. Needs a rear tire before I can ride it but I'll be tearing it down for this other project ASAP, I already ordered bearings so it's getting a rebuild then maybe I'll put it back to stock and just port it.

Yeah I'm goofin around about it but I really do like these bikes, I have 3 of them now, I guess? In various levels of decay. I hate that the crummy chrome on these italian rims is always shot so I'll try to save the mags to go on the green one, it's a pretty cool colour. One thing I always like about v1 is you can get them going 35 really easy and sell them to someone who doesn't know anything about mopeds and like 3 years later see the guy at a bar and he's still riding the thing

Motron is possibly my favorite moped and V1 is possibly my favorite moped engine. If your cases are fucked, I have 2 leftside NOS cases here if you were to need one. No right sides, sorry. Pretty sure this bike may have been a cast off from Laser last year BTW

Forgot to mention, worst moped I ever bought was a Derbi from Bill at Michiana Mopeds. Not sue there was a usable part on it

Now i didn't buy this , it doesn't make a good moped and doesnt make a good motorcycle

(edited)

moped-army-5fb49a3ec4ca9c4fce4fbde3ae57b8ce.jpg

Found this Hercules with a Sachs 505D on Craigslist back in 2014 from a guy that was getting evicted from what looked like a crack house. I offered him $25 and loaded it up. Had no idea what I was getting into until I got it home and looked up these motors. Ended up selling it to BlkBlk Shawn who was going to throw on an 80cc top end. Not sure if he ever finished that project.

Hercules.jpg

Probably get somebody pissed, but this FZ50 has been such a POS money pit. Pretty good quality of construction and fun when it runs, but I guess years of neglect for a noped mean way more grief trying to get it back to reliable, if ever. Nopeds are plentiful and so tempting when the real things aren’t popping up for sale or the competition is snapping up all the deals. Hope I’ve scratched that itch.

97DC4FB7-82F6-4B5C-AA12-B0AA4F177DF4.jpeg

Graham I believe I know your project idea and I hope you do do (hehe) that. It would be such a fun thing to rip around.

> Garrett The Kid Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Graham I believe I know your project idea and I hope you do do (hehe)

> that. It would be such a fun thing to rip around.

Haha I'm gonna build that with the frame you gave me but this is actually another stupid project I'm working on...

Wolf Wizard /

I love those green Morton’s those and the yellow sprints are my favorite, the sprint always comes with the 30mph v1 which is rad.

I don't know if the Sprints intrinsically came with a 30 mph motor, but if you put an 11 tooth front sprocket on a v1, they usually go 30. Sprints were actually the cheaper model because they didn't come with a Speedo or rear olastic.

Wolf Wizard /

Every one I’ve encountered has so far, could be luck though I’m just assuming from experience! I’ve seen quite a few Motrons with that good old 9mm intake though haha.

Checked myrons website, seems like the only thing is indeed the lack of certain items! I just assumed because “sprint” and “fast” and my experience with em! But seems like any motor could come on any model and the trims are just feature levels like mags and such

718F41CC-3D19-4A0D-B452-7B59524A68BD.jpeg

(edited)

Check the diameter on the intake cylinder port. V1'S have three sizes, which correlates to their speed and hp rating.

Can't remember them offhand, but you can look them up.

Wolf Wizard /

I thought there was only two! Weird I just give em the pinky test, if it goes to my first knuckle it’s a good one. If it can’t go that deep it’s the baby 9mm

If you notice in the motron chart both 25 and 30 are marked as 1.9hp. So I’d assume the ports would be the same. Just looks to be geared a tiny bit taller (edited)

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

You can also tell one of them apart because it has like 2x the vertical fins of the normal ones

Idk what version that is tho. But yeah Minarelli just sold motors, they never sold a frame + motor together AFAIK

I know there's three intake manifold sizes, 9, 10, and 12mm.

The wiki says there's three cylinders.

I know I saw them listed in a Minarelli manual somewheres, but can't find it now.

I remember because my first V1 was the 19mph version, and it made me sad.

Wolf Wizard /

I think those three sizes are in the photos, 38.mm for the small guy,

38.8 for medium and fast dudes

Then 1979 and later the medium and fast guys Because 38.7mm

Dirty30 Dillon /

I can't be the only one, but Motron's have like my least favorite ergonomics of any bike I've ridden.

I hate riding with my knees tucked up high.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> I hate riding with my knees tucked up high.

Me , too . Makes me feel like I'm about to get an enema . :(

The foot rests are a joke. I'd never put my feet on them. I just keep mine on the pedals. The weld on my brackets actually broke, and that was just from vibration, so I wouldn't put any weight on them. They are strictly cosmetic, in my opinion.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> The foot rests are a joke. I'd never put my feet on them. I just keep

> mine on the pedals. The weld on my brackets actually broke, and that

> was just from vibration, so I wouldn't put any weight on them. They are

> strictly cosmetic, in my opinion.

I'm talking about the pedals, not the footrests. They're just too high on the V1 powered bikes.

I’ve seen 2 motron’s split in half with my own eyes. They rust on the inside and get weak right at the start of the bend apparently.

My $25 parts bike had been welded at that location, too.

Yeah for all the talk about mopeds snapping in the middle and frame braces and dumb stuff, the only time I've actually seen a Moped snap was at a WizBiz and it was either a motron or cimatti or yankee peddler that someone jumped. And it also broke right there.

I think that break is on video somewhere, I remember seeing that. Dude got some big air on an Italian bike coming out of the quarry and straight folded that bike.

Probably one of the worst mopeds I got (not purchased but donated as a challenge) was this little Motobecane M1PRTS Cady I got in Ottawa CanadaLand from one of the Variators members...

Still a single speed but swapped out the Isodyne motor for a AV7 - dimoby single speed, ported and piped. Pretty spirited ride but not a hill climber...

CadyBeforeAfter.JPG

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account