1985 Garelli Monza GT

After a series of owners - this now belongs to me. Tomahawk Mopeds in LA tuned it up and got it riding like a gem. Put Z bars on it instead of the break your back cafe racer bars. Can’t wait to learn more about this bike.

046C1534-3241-45C9-8820-4C453812F181.jpeg

Re: 1985 Garelli Monza GT

Super sexi bike! This is definitely my jealous face.

Malcolm Browne /

nice monza! feel like ive seen this one on pipe burn or something. I had one a for a couple years and unfortunately had to sell it. id say the worst part about these bikes is the rubber clutch. if you can track down an aftermarket one it will definitely wake it up.

IMG_4653.jpg

Whoa - this is a rad bike, I love the all black. Luckily this bike was fully restored, so everything is up to par. All I need is a new set of points and a condenser to really get it running top notch. The parts are on Treatland just not sure how to install them. Once back in LA, Tomahawk can take a look.

The size of the bike is also ideal - fits standing up in the back of my Honda Fit!

Thanks! Definitely stoked about it.

Oohhhh it's the pink one! There was a thread here about this bike last year.

Hey! I’m so stoked that’s back on the road. Back maybe 10 years ago I drove out on a 2 hour road trip in the middle of the night to pick that thing up in the desert. Tank was rotted so I had to have the tank fixed (I’m sure the shitty welds are shown as they were so gunky we tried to smooth them out on the lowest part of the left or right bottom side of tank!!)

Here it is first day I got it running

A0F80F2F-4E34-4EFB-914D-3B4A2566E9C3.jpeg

This exact bike? That’s epic. Tomahawk got it running great - I just need to swap in the points and the condenser (like $30-$40 total on Treatland) to make it fun even better, but I don’t have the slightest clue how to do that so I’ll have to wait till I’m back in LA.

The saga of this bike haha, I’m loving the history!

If it's running why are you putting in new points and condenser?

Here's the tread from a few years ago with some more back story.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?2,4187302 (edited)

It's back!

yeah, whats wrong with it that Tomahawk couldnt fix?

only reason i ask is that the 1spd monza verticals are rare and not something you really wanna jump into and start tearing apart like an e50.

Hey hey! I already read that thread and have been in touch with Anthony for a couple months (previous owner). It runs good - I want it to run great! So new points and condensers are what’s gonna do that. Cheap available parts, not a prob.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, it's kinda sus that "the" LA moped shop couldn't replace points and condensor?

It’s fixed - not tearing it apart in any way, just a couple tiny replacement parts to get running even better.

He totally could! I was just leaving town and wanted to take the bike. He sent me the exact part links and was super helpful. I ordered the parts and he’ll be able to swap them in when I get back. Tomahawk is legit the best. So wrong analysis there dude haha. (edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

This is a real roller coaster of a story we got going here.

Nah - just chatting about a bike. (edited)

im here, im there, it runs, it needs a condensor, they fixed it, not yet, but im gonna fix it, until i get back then they will...im just joking around, but seriously

PLEASE dont tear this thing apart trying to pry out a stock condensor. inline it up under the plastic or something and dont buy the screw top ones Treats has either.

go to NAPA, ask for a condensor for a rando year VW, like a '73 Bug and they're like 5 bucks. Ground it on the the hinged seat mount or anywhere not painted.

No one is tearing anything apart. Everyone can relax and be kind haha - peace!

awww were just messing around, man

but from experience just be gentle on it

I hear you for sure - not about to try and make this thing a 2020 Prius, just seeing where it needs some love and what the best options are.

On another note - I attempted to find a rear rack for it and gave up. Beer in the backpack I guess.

Saddle bags ?

Let me translate...your engine is hens teeth. No parts. It's a one off engine based on the vip but with totally different internals and bore/stroke. If you strip your crank threads to fix something that isn't broken it's not gonna be a good day. You let an impact look at that thing and it'll strip.

If it's running good, now points and condenser isn't going to change a damn thing. Replacing those parts would at best remove a bit of resistance from your spark circuit....and your spark plug doesn't care.

On the other hand, you CAN swap in a complete garelli/avanti vip two speed engine of that happens so I dunno.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Let me translate...your engine is hens teeth. No parts. It's a one off

> engine based on the vip but with totally different internals and

> bore/stroke. If you strip your crank threads to fix something that isn't

> broken it's not gonna be a good day. You let an impact look at that

> thing and it'll strip.

>

> If it's running good, now points and condenser isn't going to change a

> damn thing. Replacing those parts would at best remove a bit of

> resistance from your spark circuit....and your spark plug doesn't care.

>

> On the other hand, you CAN swap in a complete garelli/avanti vip two

> speed engine of that happens so I dunno.

are the vip 2 speeds a direct bolt on swap? Or you have to get creative

This thread gave me some incentive yesterday to bust through my pile of monza garbage

20201019_082320.jpg

i rolled this out and started having a peek at what needs to be sussed and replaced.

20201019_081721.jpg

wasnt long before i popped off the gila head for the first time, rubbed some blue cream on it and found it chipped up from a previous piston ring 'splosion

20201019_083406.jpg

Not only that, but whatever did explode in their has also chipped the cylinder, making TONS more work (if its even possible to salvage)

my long drawn out point is this;

If this breaks.

You're gonna have a bad time.

That seems to be the concensus but ive never actually tried popping a VIP in there.

(i remember Brett Epp gettin' nutty with his Monza swaps but he's on a whole other level, making crazy H²0 cooled Baja enduro kinda stuff.)

Aside from the stroke, the engine dimensions are so close to each other that I wouldn't be surprised if it worked though.

Then again..."italian moped" means it probably doesn't.

They bolt right up, but there's no mount on the head like a monza has. So I used a monza head and cut the squish a-la the baseball method. I'm thinking I may have made a spacer that kinda looked like an old mopar leaf spring riser...big ol master link. possible I bent pedals as well.

I'm fairly certain I had to get bendy with the exhaust too.

it was a neat bike. I found a brand new avanti for free! A local mason bought it for his teenage son who immediately turned the front wheel into a brick wall detector, frame was broken up front and the wheel looked like pac man.

I can believe it that had to be 15 years ago : (

yeah, im sitting here staring at this shit and the desire to fuck with it is rapidly decreasing by the second

which sucks because i love those frames and tanks. they handle really well and topping out at 37-38 in the city (for me at least) was perfect

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account