regstering moped in mass during covid question

if i under stand it right i drop the form and cover letter off , they will email me and i pay and it will be mailed to me. what i confused about is what do i do about lack of vin. bike has a 7 digit serial?

ive had a issue with a vin on 1980 rx7 due to it being not to the standard that started in 81?

the moped is 1980 fantic pepi sport

Re: regstering moped in mass during covid question

I haven’t had to do it this year, but I’ve registered a couple of 1970s mopeds in Mass using the 6- or 7-digit serial number as the VIN without any problem.

If your concerned add zeros to the beginning...that serial number you mention is your vin.

i havent had to (or bothered to) in awhile.

Let us know if we are, in fact, switching to moped plates

ill drop off the paper work tomorrow and report back what happens.

Jeremy Davenport /

I registered my moped in Mass a couple months ago it was easy. I would suggest making an appointment on the dmv website, that way you don’t need to drop off paperwork and then return another day to pick everything up.....you can just get it all done that day. When you go you need the bill of sale, the moped registration form filled out (you can print it off the dmv website) and I think you needed your license and also $40. They give you a moped license plate to mount on the back, no more sticker like in the past and a registration certificate. The VIN shouldn’t be an issue because my 1980 Sachs just has a short number, nothing like a modern bike or car has and they had no issue with it.

how do the plates look?

Jeremy Davenport /

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> how do the plates look?

The plate is the same size as a motorcycle plate, has a white background with black embossed numbers, says Mass at the top and Moped at the bottom in black text. There is a sticker with the expiration date at the top right like the car plates have. It’s kinda dull looking like every other Massachusetts license plate...too plain.

> Jeremy Davenport Wrote:

> I registered my moped in Mass a couple months ago it was easy. I would

> suggest making an appointment on the dmv website, that way you don’t

> need to drop off paperwork and then return another day to pick

> everything up.....you can just get it all done that day. When you go

> you need the bill of sale, the moped registration form filled out (you

> can print it off the dmv website) and I think you needed your license

> and also $40. They give you a moped license plate to mount on the back,

> no more sticker like in the past and a registration certificate. The

> VIN shouldn’t be an issue because my 1980 Sachs just has a short number,

> nothing like a modern bike or car has and they had no issue with it.

my issue is just getting a appointment, and the locations of the places just make it a bigger hassle.

Some people are just riding plateless til it blows over because for a while the RMV wasn’t doing mopeds due to restricted appointment times during Covid, but I think they’re now allowing moped appointments?

And yeah, we have plates now (no insurance still tho :) )

never registered in Mass, but I have definitely registered en masse

got my plate today.

print out form and cover letter for the dmv your going to that does drop offs. ,fill it out. go to rmv that is taking drop offs. scan qr code/send text to get ticket number. wait in car till you get text , walk in drop off paper wor. wait 4 days or so till you get a email. pay online go to the same dmv pickup plates. i went Tuesday and got the email some time early am Friday.

plate.png

> ben towle Wrote:

> got my plate today.

>

> print out form and cover letter for the dmv your going to that does drop

> offs. ,fill it out. go to rmv that is taking drop offs. scan qr

> code/send text to get ticket number. wait in car till you get text ,

> walk in drop off paper wor. wait 4 days or so till you get a email. pay

> online go to the same dmv pickup plates. i went Tuesday and got the

> email some time early am Friday.

> >

Very nice

sunday went for my first long ride to my dads, 5 miles or so. hit 25mph max according to the gps speedo i have.

my zen pipe showed up today. went for a spin to test it out. holy crap , right around 20 something it felt like the bike shifted gears and the next thing i know im doing 40 mph lol. hopefully ill be able to meet some people to ride with when it warms up again.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account