Helmets

6847BB37-D613-4183-9DB4-EB0CCBB27245.png

Do you think today’s football helmets , are as safe a motorbike helmets?

Re: Helmets

Terbo Speghetti /

No.

Just no.

Are you trying to ask are today's football helmets safer than motorcycle helmets from the '60s?

who knows, just wear a DOT helmet.

giphy-3.gif

Oh hell NO

helmets from the 60s 70s 80s aren't as good.

No! I wasn’t referring to the one pictured. Today’s helmets. I’m not using one, I’ve got a DOT helmet. Just wondering.

I doubt it, prob better than nothing, but not purpose built, no shield etc.

The shells would not take the force of your head hitting pavement or especially a curb. While I know the air bladders are in the new football helmets to help cushion hits from other players it is the outer shell that makes a helmet suitable for road use.

But hey it is just your head/face. Your choice on safety options. I always wear a full face helmet cuz my face is my money maker.

I see motorcyclists wear them all the time on I-95 it makes me so nervous I tend to look away. I'm all about maximum protection when it comes to helmets.. Full face DOT certified all day!!!

I once told a friend of mine that spent $250 for a motorcycle helmet that I thought that was way too much to spend on one and he said, " You think your head isn't worth $250." After thinking about that for a while i went out and bought an expensive full face helmet. Not too long after that I ad a spill and hit the pavement with my head at 65 MPH , got up and walked away without injury. My friend had given me life saving advice. Just how much is your head worth. P.S. I also had on a lifesaving Teflon reinforced jacket that kept me from loosing any of my skin. Now I never even ride a Moped without wearing a good helmet and jacket.

I wouldn't wear a football helmet either. Its just not comfortable and if you do you should at least wear the neck protector with the helmet. I remember the football helmets being extremely heavy. I believe my helmet cost me about 60.00 but it fits perfect and is a clone of a 700.00 helmet.

I have a DOT , I ordered a full helmet this time. But I was just wondering. No football, bike, bump helmets in my future. :)

my full face helmet stopped a car tire from crushing my skull, multiple impacts from causing a concussion, and the road from grinding my face off.

no football helmet is designed to do that. hell, nothing less than a full face can do it. (edited)

Full face only. even a cheap one will save you teeth and nose. Even if you have the hulks arms they can't physically stop you head from moving forward and impacting in a wreck.

Don't lie to yourself.

Oh yeah wear gloves because they are the first thing to touch the ground

I remember this macho clown army fella who used to hang around Knoxville, he had some giant liter rocket and like little gattling gun accessories on the pipes that'd spin. holy cheeseball shit.

he was a vet and wanted everyone to know it, super macho bs, but he'd always wear his combat helmet on his bike which is like the dumbest shit

actually you look at a lot of the causalties in the middle east, most are IED's and the helmets which were designed to stop A BULLET are NOT designed to stop impacts, and the helmet smashing your head was in many cases worse than no helmet.

But to that point, if you're going to bother wearing a helmet, wear one that works and is designed for what you're doing. Why would there be any alternative answer? I mean maybe you could justify going overkill like motorcycle helmets while riding a bike, but there's never really a reason to downgrade...

> Bill Donati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I once told a friend of mine that spent $250 for a motorcycle helmet

> that I thought that was way too much to spend on one and he said, " You

> think your head isn't worth $250." After thinking about that for a

> while i went out and bought an expensive full face helmet. Not too long

> after that I ad a spill and hit the pavement with my head at 65 MPH ,

> got up and walked away without injury. My friend had given me life

> saving advice. Just how much is your head worth. P.S. I also had on a

> lifesaving Teflon reinforced jacket that kept me from loosing any of my

> skin. Now I never even ride a Moped without wearing a good helmet and

> jacket.

Yup!^^ $50 helmet = $50 head.

My brother in law just got a motorcycle, he was asking if it was worth it to get an expensive helmet or if cheaper ones were just as good. I was like, naw get something good. (thinking like over $100 and with good ratings).

See cuz to me a cheap helmet is like $2 to $30 used trash. and $150 is a reasonable price and $300 probably overkill, especially on a moped. I mean you can get top rated SNELL helmets new in the 100-200 range. hell you can get last years' AGV or similar track/race helmets for under $300

But to him, $300 was cheap, $700 was where he settled, and the $3000 helmets were the "expensive" option

It's always kinda shocking to me how much money people spend, I have a strong distaste for expensive and "nice" things. pretty dedicated to "good enough"

HJC makes some really nice helmets for not much money. The CL17 was meeting snell last time i checked and costs about 150.

Shoei makes a couple 'budget' helmets in the 250-300 range that are also super nice but i can't say they are 2x as good as the HJC.

For Dirt i really like my ~100$ FOX V1 and even though i probably shouldn't, i usually ride my moped wearing it. Its been down a bunch of times in the dirt but its a polycarb shell so it doesn't get ruined when you crash like fiberglass or carbon fiber.

I find that the difference between a 150-300+ helmet is mostly in the visor, padding, venting, etc.

The only tech thats really next level is MIPS, the fox V3 is the cheapest helmet i know that has it, but thats where you're getting into those 4 figure plus helmets, really cool tech... if i was going to start doing trackdays or more 100+ mph type stuff these days having kids i want to see grow up, i would invest in that kit.

100% full riding gear all the time. Went for a quick ride last Saturday and wasn't wearing boots. Now I have a shattered left foot. Boots, jacket, pants, and helmet. BILT has some nice ones with Sena coms units built into the helmet. They about ~$300. The last one saved my noodle but not the foot XD.

Absolutely not. They are made for completely different things. Some head protection but no DOT or ECE testing/approval. I think you could buy a good helmet for less than a official NFL helmet any way. I can only imagine the chin guard shattering after hitting the pavement.

For moped helmets, what's the verdict? Are Biltwell Gringo's good enough for slow mopeds or should I get something better (AGV, Bell, Simpson, ECT.)? Been riding way too long without a helmet and I'm worried about my luck running out. Does any one wear gloves? Figured if you ever go down, it's usually your hands that go for the pavement first.

I found a Nitrinos I like a lot and saved $100 by getting it on Banggood. It’s the exact same one selling for $169. I spent my entire childhood horseback, bareback, no helmets and we just took off across the vast Texas or California countryside. No helmets, saddles, phones - nothin. Just little kids on horses, and we never got even mildly injured. But I would not take my bike out of my driveway without this full face major league helmet. I’m also taking this really good advice about gloves and boots and a really good jacket. I appreciate you all taking the time to advise us new riders about intelligence and safety. I’m listening.........

73FEF111-C3E0-49E7-8839-649047E9E5E7.jpeg

Yeah i rode with an old junk bell for years, hit the ground a couple times, never died, but since then I've learned that I probably got lucky.

I think the gringo, or a dirt helmet is good enough for mopeds, I've hit the ground off a Moped crash and I've hit the ground at a track day and in the latter my $300+ nolan was pretty much crunched, it's a totally different energy. I feel pretty ok with a decent lower end helmet on city streets. I rock a cheap dirt bike helmet riding around town. I'm sure there are instances where something crazy could happen but a decent basic helmet as long as it's good fitting and buckled is probably just fine for 98% of the hits you'll get on a Moped.

Going to get flamed for this, but I never wear a helmet on a moped, mine are stock, I know, I'm dumb, but made it this far without incident, had two spills in 38 yrs of riding, both on mopeds, low speed, no injury, both because I was distracted, damn pretty lady's! ;) No excuse for not wearing one, except I see stock mopeds as no more dangerous than bicycles, have never, nor will I ever wear a helmet on a f'ing bicycle. I ride crazy defensive, if crowded I pull over and let them go, I have exceptional situational awareness, and for my age, great reflexes. Might I die anyway, yes, do I care? No. When I rode full size street motorcycles, I did wear a full face helmet, it was lost 2 moves ago. But I do wear a leather jacket leftover from the mc days and steel toe shoes, and gloves, and of course eye protection, the law in MN (eye protection) but I don't wear eye protection because the law says, I do because if you get a bug in the eye at speed, it can cause a crash. Safety is as much about being totally 100% aware all the time as your gear. That said, if you are a new rider, over age 20, wear a full face. I should, but I will not. Do as I recommend, not what I choose recklessly to do. (edited)

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Going to get flamed for this, but I never wear a helmet on a moped, mine

> are stock, I know, I'm dumb, but made it this far without incident, had

> two spills in 38 yrs of riding, both on mopeds, low speed, no injury,

> both because I was distracted, damn pretty lady's! ;) No excuse for not

> wearing one, except I see stock mopeds as no more dangerous than

> bicycles, have never, nor will I ever wear a helmet on a f'ing bicycle.

> I ride crazy defensive, if crowded I pull over and let them go, I have

> exceptional situational awareness, and for my age, great reflexes. Might

> I die anyway, yes, do I care? No. When I rode full size street

> motorcycles, I did wear a full face helmet, it was lost 2 moves ago. But

> I do wear a leather jacket leftover from the mc days and steel toe

> shoes, and gloves, and of course eye protection, the law in MN (eye

> protection) but I don't wear eye protection because the law says, I do

> because if you get a bug in the eye at speed, it can cause a crash.

> Safety is as much about being totally 100% aware all the time as your

> gear. That said, if you are a new rider, over age 20, wear a full face.

> I should, but I will not. Do as I recommend, not what I choose

> recklessly to do.

Yeah I never used to wear a helmet back in the day but drivers were better then. No crazy texting crap and crazy on board computer shit in cars to distract the driver. Now I %100 wear a full face helmet and drive like I'm the only one on the road and everyone else is trying to kill me. People just suck at driving now. It's pretty scary at times.

I don't waste my breath any more trying to convince people to wear a helmet, I told my Harley riding dad that I'm gonna put his vegetable ass in the shittiest republican-defunded, deregulated nursing home if he gets in an accident and let him rot.

Just like the maskdebaters, there are always gonna be 'but muh freedum' people who don't give a shit about the harm they cause to the moto community, their family, friends and society at large by not taking personal responsibility. I hope they die quick and don't cost taxpayers and everyone else's insurance millions of dollars taking care of they ass, or escape a close call and wise up.

What sucks is when someone who is your friend or someone at a Moped rally does some dumb shit and the weekend you bought plane tickets for, planned for months, built a bike for, and missed time with your family turns into a fuckin bummer because you're in the hospital with your friend that got hurt. After Jim died, several of my friends in Minneapolis upped their helmet game, what happened to him might have saved a lot of lives, it's hard to imagine anyone would have the hole in their heart he left with me and then go 'oh yeah cool, I want to do that to other people'

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account