Mopeds/Scooters in KY

Hello,

I have never driven a car and was never taught how (parents refused to teach me). Poverty made it exceptionally difficult even for my parents to afford gas for their vehicle, so it has always been out of reach. So, given that I have no experience with cars, I was told to look into mopeds and scooters. The problem is, I have no idea what I need to obtain to legally own one and drive it, where I can even go to learn how to drive (them), which moped/scooter is best for my state and my budget (about $2000-2500) and if I can even use them to cross highways (where my work is).

Does anyone have any idea where I can start? As winter comes along, it is going to be very difficult to walk to my work, let alone impossible to use my bike.

Thank you for reading,

Re: Mopeds/Scooters in KY

A moped is defined as having: "No more than two (2) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour." KRS 189.285.

You'll need to get a moped license if you don't have one. Anything above 50cc and requires shifting is legally a motorcycle/scooter and you need a motorcycle license. With your budget I cannot emphasize enough that you should instead look for an older small Japanese motorcycle, like a Honda CB125 or Honda Rebel or something. Mopeds are not a good idea for use as sole transportation as they can be finicky.

That^ find you a small motorcycle and practice in a parking lot. It’s not hard really, we believe in you.

With that amount of money you could go to regular driving school and buy a janky car. I understand your situation as you've explained it but I just don't think a moped or motorcycle is the best solution.

Bikes are far more dangerous and infinity more complex to ride safely in most situations. For example, you spin the wheels in the rain. In a car you just let off the throttle and be on your way, on a bike if you don't know everything you need to do instinctively at that moment your going to the emergency room.

If you do decide to go two wheeled. Mopeds can be reliable. But your not gonna buy one that way and you will be the mechanic. Instead look for a newer japanese scooter. Honda yamaha etc.

Pushrod Fifty /

Mopeds are fine for a short commute, with a backup plan in case of bad weather such as public transportation, uber, or a coworker. As mentioned, you will be the mechanic because no one will work on one unless you found a vintage moped shop but they are rare. Long term plan, save up for drivers ed and buy a used Toyota, they are the most dependable and economicaly advantaged cars.

> Nick MBC Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> A moped is defined as having: "No more than two (2) brake horsepower, a

> cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an

> automatic transmission not requiring clutching or shifting by the

> operator after the drive system is engaged, and capable of a maximum

> speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour." KRS 189.285.

>

> You'll need to get a moped license if you don't have one. Anything above

> 50cc and requires shifting is legally a motorcycle/scooter and you need

> a motorcycle license. With your budget I cannot emphasize enough that

> you should instead look for an older small Japanese motorcycle, like a

> Honda CB125 or Honda Rebel or something. Mopeds are not a good idea for

> use as sole transportation as they can be finicky.

^^^None of any that matters in the bluegrass state. You need NOTHING! Its a free for all here, scooter or moped. (edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^^^None of any that matters in the bluegrass state. You need NOTHING!

Not according the state of Kentucky. You need at least a moped license to ride a moped in Kentucky. A driver's license or motorcycle license will suffice as well

https://drive.ky.gov/driver-licensing/Pages/Motorcycles-and-Mopeds.aspx

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/statutes/statute.aspx?id=6361

Hello and thank you all for the replies,

I think the closest driving educational program is in Louisville for $100 an hour + requires an existing drivers permit, but I'm several counties away from that. I needed a solution to get to eventually get to the drivers ed, but I'll do more googling for it after I'm done here.

A few more questions before I go:

Are "small motorcycles" a specific type that have other names I search up? I don't mind going for them instead, but I can't seem to find anything on them when I google them (regular motorcycles come up). If I look up the Honda CB125 though within the state, it is over 4k used. They do seem to be lower in other states, but I can't travel to get them.

Also, if I went for a Japanese scooter (Honda/Yahama scooters) instead, which would you suggest I buy new for my purposes, since the used ones are same price as new or even over? Or am I just looking on the wrong sites?

@supercub & aaronb

I am going to save for a car (tons of used cars here for pretty cheap), but I need a solution before snow comes for my job and while I save for the money to take me to a drivers ed + the money it takes to have the lessons (only one I found was in Louisville, for $100 per hour). I don't make a lot of money (about $500) so that sort of saving will take a long time to reach.

Thank you,

Pushrod Fifty /

Check with your High School, maybe they will still honor your drivers ed and you can get it free.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account