Re: God damn moped prices skyrocketing

Dirty30 Dillon /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Imho, mopeds r a niche market with inflated aftermarket product prices.

This is the most unfounded thing in this thread. Where are you seeing inflated prices? Are you upset that you can replace the crank on any moped for less than $150? What about stock top end replacements for like $100 across the board? What about the fact that you can replace both tires and tubes on a moped, for less than the cost of ONE tire on a moto...

Moped parts will only go up, just like the bikes. But for now, the parts are cheap. The BEST production Puch cylinder is like $250 with a head/reed block/intake??? OH NO, SO EXPENSIVE

I feel like parts have stayed tha same or even gotten cheaper. I feel like there are more <$100 cylinder options available now than 10yrs ago.

The bicycle analogy is dead on. The tires on my custom bicycles aren't even high end. And they cost $50+.

A few years back when I got more into mopeds, I got the awesome pirelli ml75's from a motorcycle shop for $16 each.

It blew my mind that I could get a speed rated, DOT approved, name brand quality tire for the same price as the innertubes in my bicycles.

roots to wings /

Ok. Here we go. Real life case study. What would you pay for a snow white 1977 Puch Maxi S 2hp e50 with less than 300 miles on it that is complete, all original, and unmolested?

If titled and plated between $500-750 max, and it had better be PERFECT.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If I were to price my 1985 Hercules prima 1. These are 2000 prices.

Barn frame 75. Title tag court fees 400. Chrome tank 120. Motor clutch parts 100. Seat and covers 150. 17" grimeacas 220. Exhaust slip on and hanger 100. Not including time. It's 1200. It isn't pretty. I had it 25 years couldn't sell it as a project for 600...

If the Covid shit ends then it's back to 100 projects. But no one wants to ride public transportation add urban areas are short on parking.

Batavus are primo now due to the dry clutch no puddle in the living room.

It's a MAD house a Fucking Mad house look what they did the Damn dirty apes...

Well if it makes you feel better I will always undersell my bikes and work, so if you still want cheap bikes just hit me up. I sold my last clean built free spirit thing for $300, and I didn't even lose much on it.

Pascal Conroy /

thank God for you. I almost went for a busted Jawa with no headlamp or magneto. Also pretty sure the engine didn't compress

I don't have less than a grand in any of my collection. Everything tweakable has been tweaked. Why would I put $1200 or 2k into a creation ( yes not counting my time and labor) and sell it for less? Do I "owe" it to the community to subsidize? Well maybe if I know you or see that you are worthy to.care for one correctly. I have at least 4 bikes that maybe I should sell just because I found it's only possible to ride one at a time. But if I post it in buy sell here all I would get is hate and ridicule.

Example..2011 tomos st..paid 1100 for it ...upgraded stuff...hardly any wear. Am I supposed to sell it for less ?? Why ???

Overpriced Parts /

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> I don't have less than a grand in any of my collection. Everything

> tweakable has been tweaked. Why would I put $1200 or 2k into a creation

> ( yes not counting my time and labor) and sell it for less? Do I "owe"

> it to the community to subsidize? Well maybe if I know you or see that

> you are worthy to.care for one correctly. I have at least 4 bikes that

> maybe I should sell just because I found it's only possible to ride one

> at a time. But if I post it in buy sell here all I would get is hate

> and ridicule.

>

> Example..2011 tomos st..paid 1100 for it ...upgraded stuff...hardly any

> wear. Am I supposed to sell it for less ?? Why ???

No but if you take a stock vehicle and turn it into something that not a stock vehicle most times you’re not gonna get more for it,

But you kept a clean stock vehicle you can get your 1,100 bucks for it and Maybe then some But since you customized It for you it’s not customized for someone else.

So in my opinion you customized/your so called upgraded bike is worth less than a stock bike with all its original parts Unless all the parts were saved and nothing was modified so it could all be put back to stock,

Well it's "customized " with a biturbo,a uni air filter, three Jets, oh a kevlar and not cork clutches, buddy pegs. smaller rear sprocket as I recall. That hardly would be extreme mods.

roots to wings /

So the sum of the parts is greater than the whole after all (edited)

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Oh yeah if you could sell each part for 80 % oem replacement value the moped is less than the sum of the parts. I have bought mopeds just for the rims.

My simple point is that established mods that are routinely applied be it a 43 malossi jug on a vespa , a Gila on a puch done right , a hpi rectified regulated , correct led lights , mag rims ..you name it dont diminish value they enhance it...to expect otherwise is beyond silly. If u want to rescue a rust bucket and still have a rusty pos that you put speed mods on but a tank with pinholes temporarily ok then I can agree. And of you are coastal( like me ) if you want a $100 moped ya betta get motoring towards the middle of the USA.

Mopeds have crossed from just being "old", to full on antique status, and are now being priced accordingly, sad but true.

roots to wings /

$500 is too low. Folks are getting $950 for these in New England, but you might find one for quite a bit less if in a barn or if someone doesn't know what they have. I wouldn't pay that because I know I am going to put at least $300-$400 into it get it to be what I want. I think the blacked out 5 star-ish looking kitted peds (if done right) are worth over $1200 which compares to a mid-range mountain bike and is half the price of a decent e-bike. The days of the $500 runners available on FB, CL, et al are numbered if not gone already. Case in point...http://garage.1977mopeds.com/build/77+Yellow+Maxi

Glad I bought when I did, with the exception of my first bike in around '83 I have never paid more than $200.00 for runners.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-08-at-8.40.35-PM.jpg

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /
2.jpg

I just bought this for $350 100% original mint 788 miles perfect in every way. I sold it next day for $750 and the person was stoked. Yes I know I could have gotten way more, but karma has a way.

roots to wings /

I'll remember that if I ever by a moped from you ;). Just kidding Dave

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> I have bought mopeds just for

> the rims.

Same. I mean when the roller is only $150 and the rims would go for at least that by themselves then it looks like I'm ending up with an extra frame and goodies.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account