You ever had stuff stolen off your moped?

Simon Belmont /

About few weeks ago someone stole electronic bicycle computer speedometer off my Tomos, the thing is they can't use it because it needs the wiring & magnet which they didn't take,

So I spent $30 plus tax and ordered another one on Amazon, this time I build a shield cage from a computer side panel using metal scissors, added a window to it and secured it onto speedometer with hard to reach bolts.

2 days ago someone stole flat bungee cables off my bike rack which were very useful for carrying packages and other things, I'm thinking about adding replacement and securing one end to the rack with multiple thick fence wires so it can't simply be pulled off.

Oh and before I added small lock & loop-holes to the bottom of my moped cover bastards used to steal the cover at least once a month.

Have you ever had anything stolen off your moped?

Re: You ever had stuff stolen off your moped?

Shit homie your bike better be locked down tight. I've had a few bikes stolen but I would have rather them just steal the phone holder than the whole bike lol

I had one of those $10 strap anywhere bags on treatland on my cobra, with a single multi wrench tool inside and a spark plug. Bike was in my apartment parking garage. We had a break in (peoples cars had been rummaged through) and they stole that little bag off my bike.

Never had anything stolen off a ped, the only time its really vulnerable is out front of a supermarket, I do sketch knowing its just sitting outside, I forget about reading labels, i just get what i need and book it back outside. Im thankful and grateful to live in a neighborhood where i can forget about leaving mopeds out front on the driveway, and not get punished immediately for it.

no, but i've had a moped stolen. Its pretty area specific plus population numbers plus rampant drug use plus mental condition plus economic conditions. If you walk down the street and see everything barred up so not even a hand can get anywhere close to entering a building, turning a knob, breaking a window, etc then u know theres been a long history of thieverie, tenpered glass covering the sidewalks, etc.(like san fran or brooklyn)

I always lock my ped, and cover my stuff up no matter where especially in high crime areas.

So, im in stockton right now, last of the wild wilfd west. This place is nuts, population of thieves-high, drugs-rampant, everything has to be locked down and hidden cuz your stuff will be broken into and brazenly stolen and sold.

On the other hand, if your in Pittsburgh and go to Kennywood (amusement park) you can pack a cooler and leave it at the picnic tables with thousands of others and not worry if anyone gonna ransack it, a total trip.

Someone had attempted to cut thru one of my snowflake rims where my lock was holding the bike while I was at work. Thankfully they didnt get very far into it before someone scared them off.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah man, you can't leave anything on the bike that isn't bolted down.

There was a dude who had the fucking motor stolen off his magnum.

Wow, never had a bike stolen or anything stolen off of one....I do throw a u-lock through the swing-arm and tire and cover them at home, can only ride one at a time right? I lock them at the grocery or anywhere I can't see them for more than about a half hr...but really don't sweat theft much, most people in my city don't know what a moped is, if I were to ride into Mpls proper I would for sure lock it up, but will not be heading in there any time soon. Not real safe, if I do go down there I take the bus, I will not even drive into the city anymore, not due to fear theft but out of convenience, and being too cheap to pay to park! :)

Curious, why stay in an area rife with junkies and theft? What is so good that it balances out having to to chain everything down and worry all the time? There must be something, right? I lived in downtown once, it was "ok" but when some jack-ass stole the coils and spark-plugs off of my roommates cb-400f I decided it was time to go...and I was not at all well off at the time. (edited)

When I lived in Seattle I had some stuff stolen off of my bike. I used to lock the bike up to a pole that supported an outdoor staircase behind our apartment. I had a cheap plastic tarp over the bike to keep the rain off.

One day I noticed the tarp was gone. Someone had stolen it, the little toolkit I had with the bike, and my spark plug. Thankfully they didn't mess with the bike otherwise.

I live in a college town and when the students come downtown rip-roarin, they like to fuck shit up. Over the last few years I've had my bike pushed over on it's side 3 times, my seat knifed all the way down the middle, and a gas cap stolen (I drained the tank and refilled just to be safe.)

I used to use these led lights as a rear light on my puch, they got stolen pretty much every time i left them on when i parked somewhere.

Probably Fred /

> pat splat Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> no, but i've had a moped stolen. Its pretty area specific plus

> population numbers plus rampant drug use plus mental condition plus

> economic conditions. If you walk down the street and see everything

> barred up so not even a hand can get anywhere close to entering a

> building, turning a knob, breaking a window, etc then u know theres been

> a long history of thieverie, tenpered glass covering the sidewalks,

> etc.(like san fran or brooklyn)

>

> I always lock my ped, and cover my stuff up no matter where especially

> in high crime areas.

>

> So, im in stockton right now, last of the wild wilfd west. This place

> is nuts, population of thieves-high, drugs-rampant, everything has to be

> locked down and hidden cuz your stuff will be broken into and brazenly

> stolen and sold.

>

> On the other hand, if your in Pittsburgh and go to Kennywood (amusement

> park) you can pack a cooler and leave it at the picnic tables with

> thousands of others and not worry if anyone gonna ransack it, a total

> trip.

Love Kennywood Park, I’ve been there several times over the years (its got 3 good wooden roller coasters), it was the same at Cedar point coaster park and it was like that too at Geauga Lake and sea world Parks by me that are now closed/gone

No one messed with anything and if you forgot or lost something most times it turned up in the lost and found section in the park,

The neighborhood is still great with exception of Walmart shopping center lot across the street from the old parks, I don’t trust going there with a bike, some jealous SOB sliced up my magnum seat when cabled to the closest shopping cart rack a few years ago, so only go there with a car,

Otherwise you just need a flimsy cable lock to hold bikes against something at parks, pools and stores here just to keep young kids from knockIng them over, I caught small kids playing with my bikes going “Vroom vroom“ while parents just looked at their phones,

I know about crime though, I’ve worked in many cities/inner cities hospitals and HUD projects for 25 years, Saw wrong end of a gun before and had work vans shot at, had them broken into, attempted break in or stole attempts,

Almost every work van I had I put hidden kill switches in and used Steering locks, put metal panels over most windows and chained some of the doors from the inside bit still had tools stolen and vehicle damage, it only takes a few minutes, your stuff is gone, no one sees nothing

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Curious, why stay in an area rife with junkies and theft? What is so

> good that it balances out having to to chain everything down and worry

> all the time? There must be something, right?

What's the draw of living in NYC? That's a fairly hard thing to answer. Incredible opportunity; innumerous sources of artistic and creative inspiration; the center of fashion, art, and business in this hemisphere; family, friends, and loved ones?

People (including myself) don't live in New York for the crime. But also a lot of people can't get out of the city even if they wanted to.

^ Interesting, I do understand that NYC is the center of a lot of things, but are there not some area's where crime is not so crazy? ( I've never been) My sister lives there but she and her husband do not own vehicles, so they don't have that to deal with. Why can't people leave even if they want to? Money? I moved out of Mpls propper when I was about as poor as I ever was. Is it because so many people there do not drive, it would be hard to move without a car.... Or are they just used to it and don't know there are safer area's? I also did not mean to target NYC, but rather any area where crime is rampant....I would not care if my friends/family lived there, I will not tolerate that level of BS. I don't live in a shiny gated community by any means, there is crime in my town, but nothing like what is being described here.

Had a cool little fanny pack stolen off the back of a Grande that was in front of my house. Just had a few tools in it, but they took a flathead screwdriver I'd had for like a decade.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ Interesting, I do understand that NYC is the center of a lot of

> things, but are there not some area's where crime is not so crazy? (

> I've never been) My sister lives there but she and her husband do not

> own vehicles, so they don't have that to deal with. Why can't people

> leave even if they want to? Money? I moved out of Mpls propper when I

> was about as poor as I ever was. Is it because so many people there do

> not drive, it would be hard to move without a car.... Or are they just

> used to it and don't know there are safer area's? I also did not mean to

> target NYC, but rather any area where crime is rampant....I would not

> care if my friends/family lived there, I will not tolerate that level of

> BS. I don't live in a shiny gated community by any means, there is crime

> in my town, but nothing like what is being described here.

Because they work and have established their careers and lives in the city, so even if it's in a bad neighborhood, it's hard to leave.

It's also true that the vast majority of NYC's population don't own a vehicle or drivers license, which is definitely a deterrent when considering mobility outside of the city.

I think the biggest thing is this is where the work is. I am actively trying to find work outside the city to move, and it's hard given that the past 4 years I have in my field are adjacent to the film/broadway industry, so trying to move that outside of the city is very hard.

Likewise, I used to work nights as a barback where I would bring home 200-250 a night... you aren't making that kind of money as a barback anywhere outside of a major city.

^Thanks for the insights, furthest east I have been is DC, and was not impressed, once you got away from the monuments it was really pretty ghetto. I have always wanted to see NYC, just for the reputation it has, and some of the museums etc, but the older I get the less likely I feel that I will make the trip. Mpls is enough city for me, when I think back to that apt I lived in I just shudder, such a shitty area, I would not leave my car out of my sight there now, let alone live there, but was young and less nervous about things, had the invincibility thing going on. I do envy you guys the street foods from around the world, that would be so cool to see and try, and honestly, the older I get owning cars is a real pita...so having the degree of public transit avail that you do would be awesome, our bus system is pretty good, but most is not 24hr etc, we are getting light rail though, super stoked for that. It would be SO weird to go your whole life and never drive. But I love the idea of everything being walkable in your neighborhood, I have that to a degree in my city and love it. Thanks again for the perspective, it's hard to wrap one's head around if you have never been there. (edited)

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> I used to use these led lights as a rear light on my puch, they got

> stolen pretty much every time i left them on when i parked somewhere.

>

> https://hwimages.beslist.net/beslist-images/26gq8dwLKd2VeZJbqMQoRbSCZHV5/394/F300/dc282095c169e6d8087e386810236edf/Fietsverlichting/Dresco-achterlicht-3-led-batterijen-rood-zwart.jpg

Prob because everyone over there has bicycles and can use them, I have had them stolen from my bicycles too. Fix your taillight! ;D

♣Slew Foot♣ /

1. Bike is insured w accessories included extra for low deductible.

Or

2. Bike is done up like a voodoo temple replete with shrines and OCD likeorder to the chaos...

Or 3 shear cult factor

Had a Magnum stolen back in 1994. Been keeping my shit hidden/covered up and locked ever since. No issues with theft since then

had my QT50 taken on a "joyride" about 2 months ago while I was out shopping for groceries

keep in mind, by the ignition switch doesn't work, always stay on.

Ended up finding it later that day dumped near a local skate park, it had a flat tire (guessing they jumped the thing until it gave out)

well, still have it, rides good, a solid FUCK YOU to the assholes that took it

never had a problem now that I have a hidden killswitch on it. (edited)

crummy.

When I had gotten nice bike lights I would take em with me

Someone stole a carb off my friends magnum, that really kinda sucked cuz it wound up ruining the crank cuz it got all wet in there.

We’ve had more than one gas cap stolen over the years

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account