picked up a vespa grande

Carl Johnson /

Just picked up my second moped to upgrade from my 12/77 Bravo. This is a 2/78 Grande in quite nice original condition. 492 miles. Original tires, seat, side covers, even the toolkit. I think I got a good deal - $500.

Seller says it was running but no longer. Will be cleaning out the fuel system and carb. And trying to get some of the light surface rust off eventually.

I took off the variator side cover to look for the 25/30/35 mph version sticker but can't find anything. Is there another way to tell what "speed model" it is?

PXL_20210110_190554051.jpg
PXL_20210110_190910074.jpg

Re: picked up a vespa grande

Terbo Speghetti /

Fix it and blast. Your top speed is your top speed.

But also I dunno if grandes did the same speed thing as ciao. I thought they were all 30mph but I'm often wrong about those kinds of things

Ľ̷̝̽͒i̶̛̼͑͠ȁ̸̧̛̽m̵̻̟̯̀̅ ̷͎̙̽̊F̶̲̺͑̓ F /

If you want to, take off the front variator and see how much material is on one of sides. This is a speed limiter. Also, I’m not sure for grandes, but check the intake. If it’s square it’s slow. But I think all Grandes had a larger intake

Terbo Speghetti /

That's not gonna tell you much. The speed rating is determined by the ratios in the final reduction gearbox.

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Fix it and blast. Your top speed is your top speed.

>

> But also I dunno if grandes did the same speed thing as ciao. I thought

> they were all 30mph but I'm often wrong about those kinds of things

nope, there were 20, 25, and 30 grandes

https://myronsmopeds.com/2020/12/vespa-speed-versions/

so from what i can cross reference, appears 20 mph had tiny carb 10 sha. 25 n 30 had 12 sha both with 49 main.

Everthing elese the same except thme exhaust pipe. read the numbers and check... Or get her running and test ride. I would never buy a non runner for 500 because a running moped is priceless. Dont get me wrong but i have paid 500 for non runners but tyet were something special.

Carl Johnson /

Thank you, that doc is just what I was wondering about.

Prices are high here in SoCal. Not sure why. Under 500 miles on this thing with original toolkit and oil cup. Plus I'm almost 6'5"... I need grande size.

You'll be fine. Pretty easy to rebuild too! Which you need to do. Research Vespa intake patches and opening up the intake(put a hose clamp on!!!)

Vespa crank seals have led me down some wild carb tuning paths. Seriously just replace them before anything else you'll think it's a ton of different things before you replace them...Easy to do as your gonna wanna open that intake and have to split the cases for that sooooo.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Terbo Speghetti Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That's not gonna tell you much. The speed rating is determined by the

> ratios in the final reduction gearbox.

Yeah, that's not true.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account