I drove two hours and paid $350 for this rust bucket

I know in Ohio this probably would have gone for $100, and some of you old school Guys would never in a million years pay what I did, but

So. Cali market is a bit different. There are no non running Puchs I know for sale anywhere in So Cali. It’s a rust bucket for sure, but it does have good spark and snowflakes, it’s totally complete and unmolested, (just by rust), and will be fun to get running and make a couple hundred. I also never owned a MK2 Sport with these type of handlebars. Still has measuring cup under gas cap and 11776 miles on odometer, yikes 😳

84B95253-8575-42C5-ABEE-F04169466554.jpeg
9B4D319D-9C3A-470E-9F43-CF047007EDFB.jpeg
DBF00358-8FC9-4E8B-AEAF-977FA95C6BA0.jpeg

Re: I drove two hours and paid $350 for this rust bucket

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I live in Ohio and I would have considered that bike for $350. Few $100 bikes left these days and while that one is rusty it's atleast complete and has snowflakes. Good score! Enjoy!

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I live in Ohio and I would have considered that bike for $350. Few $100

> bikes left these days and while that one is rusty it's atleast complete

> and has snowflakes. Good score! Enjoy!

Thanks! Also the guy was not into mopeds and didnt have a problem with parting it out. A complete Mk2 being parted out is criminal in my book. His asking price was firm and then he asked me what my intention was, I told him to get it running and on the road to enjoy, after that he, countered my offer and we agreed on 350.

I'm still blown away how a moped can sit outside in the elements for over 30 years and still have a good chance at running with a little work. A true testament to the quality of these machines.

Overpriced Parts /

The important part is the inside of the tank down below which is part of the frame, that’s what be can’t be rusted bad and the snowflake mag hubs are not replaceable like 5 star mags so they can’t have real bad rust either

Hopefully When you’re done it will look like this one my son and I did this summer, we used a nice silver frame and 5 star wheels because the green MKII frame and the hubs in the snowflake rims were rusted too bad to use,

We used NOS and nice used Maxi sport MKII parts to build it to MKII specs

F6C8F504-0E60-46B9-A138-ECCB9A9602F2.jpeg

It’s a shame when people leave bikes sitting out uncovered for so long

Hell yeah, the OG Roffman taking some time to comment! Your kids Puch looks wet! I remember you telling me about this project your working on earlier this year, the frame had been buried away for years or something. Looks super good now.

The gas tank, yeah it's crusty, over 30 years of marinating in the California Sun. I had mentioned to my buddy that i should maybe go to a carwash and high pressure wash the tank, but he didnt think it was a good idea since towards the bottom of the tank where it bends straight into the frame, he said the metal weakens there or is the weak spot of the frame and the pressure could cause it to fail or leak since the sun could have made it brittle, so my next suggestion was to caswell the tank. I've only heard good things about that stuff. The mags look super clean and I didnt see any rust near the hubs. The rust is so thick on parts of the handle bars and turn signal, and on the chrome rack in the rear, its like a thick beard, gnarly.

With that many miles on it I was surprised to find an original German Bosch plug, still sparking after 43 years. I would think the pucks have been replaced but even if they were, it wouldnt matter since its been sitting 30 years. Tomorrow will check what the trans oil looks like. It's a tetanus shot on 2 wheels for sure.

I have that same pipe on a maxi with a 64cc Reed Polini and not case matched or anything, just slapped on with a 15:15, its a good pipe, just a little lag on take off, but good all around, just loud af!

roots to wings /

Picked this up for $125 this summer and bartered it to some kids on the street. They put 30 percent vinegar in it and left it too long and it ate right thru the frame so the frame is roached. I offered to get them a frame but they are bound an determined to try to weld it. I kept the five stars.

48B285A1-F7D9-432E-AD0C-F0CF38C77F70.jpeg

Are those palm trees reflecting in the chrome in the first pic? We don't have those or $100 mopeds here in Ohio.

Best of luck with your find!

Yeah I don't ever get bummed about paying too much, you make more money every day, the only reason to have money is to buy dumb shit like this

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> Yeah I don't ever get bummed about paying too much, you make more money

> every day, the only reason to have money is to buy dumb shit like this

This should be the official moped army slogan.

2, 10, or 50 years from now sitting on your death bed you're not gonna be like 'damn I really wish I hadn't paid 350 for that Moped' .... You'll be like 'remember that awesome Moped I fixed up and that one perfect summer ride I had'

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> 2, 10, or 50 years from now sitting on your death bed you're not gonna

> be like 'damn I really wish I hadn't paid 350 for that Moped' ....

> You'll be like 'remember that awesome Moped I fixed up and that one

> perfect summer ride I had'

Ha . Something like that^ .

I'm not on my death bed , but , I recall , like it was yesterday , the day I first rode my 15 dollar Simplex . That was 56 years ago . ;)

I might be paying 380 for one in a little rougher shape than that. But the snowflakes and the za50 makes it worth it to me. The wife would be sad about another project right now tho.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account