R.I.P. Jan de Vries

Two time 50CC World Champion Jan de Vries died last week at the age of 77.

He won the 50CC World Title for the Kreidler-Van Veen team in 1971 and 1973 in his time he won 14 races and stood on the podium 23 times.

He unfortunately never won the race on the TT circuit in Assen. After he quit racing he became a mechanic for his rival Angel Nieto and helped him win the world title in 1975.

Every time i saw him at exhibitions or on TV he always seemed like a really nice guy. May he rest in peace.

Here's some old timey footage of him winning a race in 1971

Re: R.I.P. Jan de Vries

Oh man that's so sad.

One of if not the greatest 2t tuner ever

He shared so much of his knowledge on mac dizzy and elsewhere I'm sure, even posted in english a lot. So many tuners and racers keep secrets, he might have had secrets but he shared more than most people can ever learn.

He will be missed.

Yeah, Jan wasn't keeping any secrets. In loads of articles in "De Bromfiets" magazine he shared every bit of knowledge he had, he was also active on many forums and Facebook, helping wherever he could. I never had anything to ask him but every time i saw him he was talking to people about 2 stroke tuning or 50CC racing and he looked very happy to do so.

Just this summer he did an honorary lap for the 95th anniversary of the track, he still fits in his old suit.

Oh man those 50cc bikes sound like race cars for sure. Unless they added some extra engine sounds to that video.

daan SJAARLOOS /

Rip jan. Tuning legend

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account