1979 Honda hobbit

Trisha Davidson /

I have never done any type of mechanic work and know nothing about it but my moped is having issues and I’d like to try to fix it. I was riding it the other day when all of a sudden I hear a loud pop and it slowly starts dying. It hadn’t made any weird sounds prior to this and when I got home I found I was low on gas so I filled it up thinking maybe that was the problem and went back out it was running fine for a bit until like 30 minutes later it popped and slowly died again I had tryed to start it again and this time it would pop a few times and not start. I know my stepdad had put a new carburetor in it a year or 2 ago. If anyone could help I honestly don’t know what any parts or anything is called but I’d like to try and learn.

09F08CCE-1D74-47BC-BAC6-92FF14CD93AA.jpeg

Re: 1979 Honda hobbit

Sounds like a timing issue. As in the spark is happening at the wrong time. This is controlled by the points on the engine, on the side opposite the belt. It's a switch that opens every revolution. You can research it here in the moped wiki to understand what needs to be done.

It could also be a dirty carb issue. In which case you need to unbolt the shocks and lever the bike up to remove the carb to clean it thoroughly. Every passage and the jet

From the looks of your bike with the polished tank somebody has been into it before.

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like a timing issue. As in the spark is happening at the wrong

> time. This is controlled by the points on the engine, on the side

> opposite the belt. It's a switch that opens every revolution. You can

> research it here in the moped wiki to understand what needs to be done.

>

> It could also be a dirty carb issue. In which case you need to unbolt

> the shocks and lever the bike up to remove the carb to clean it

> thoroughly. Every passage and the jet

>

> From the looks of your bike with the polished tank somebody has been

> into it before.

It would be extremely unlikely for it to be a timing issue, as there is no adjustment on the timing on points Hobbits except for the point gap. It is probably a carb issue, a lean backfire. Clean the carb, follow to article on the wiki. I like to just loosen the rear shocks, remove the front motor mount bolt and put the front wheel of the bike on a milkcrate or something, which raises the frame up enough to access the carb. Make sure you use a JIS screwdriver bit on the intake or you will strip the screws out and have a really bad time

Well there ya go! Lol

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account