Determining a mopeds worth ( emotionally )

Chloe Feldman /

I got 3 days to kill off of work for covid vaccination shit so fuck it.. decided it might be a good time to crack open pandora's box on MA.

How do you go about determining what moped means the most to you?

I'm not talkin' like.. " Oh my derbi is 1400 bucks for sure!!! ". I mean like.. which moped could you never live without and how did you get there?

Granted, I feel like there's a couple classic themes involved here. How rare the moped is.. How long you've had the moped.. How many times the moped has burned you ( shoutout motobecane ).. How fast it is.. How much moolah you've put into it.. Blah blah blah, you get the idea.

Just curious how you guys go about this. Like when you know it's time to slim the fleet down, where do you start?

When I first got into mopeds, it was a big outlet for my bipolar mania. All the little parts.. seein how fast I could go.. how janky it could get.. AWWW the good times!! ? But now at age 28, it has taken more a shift into " what mopeds do I truly enjoy " Like who cares about how precise my ZA50 shimming is.. What bike am I staring at with lust when moped night rolls around? Like yeah the sicko mode clutch pulley peugeot is tight but I have wayyyy more fun doin' 43 mph on my stock variator build.

I know this is kinda a clunky topic but fuck it. I wanna hear from y'all. Tell me about your favorite mopeds you own and how / why they mean so much to you.

Yay, I'm excited.

XOXO

Re: Determining a mopeds worth ( emotionally )

Rippers have their place when you’re feeling rippy and need a thrill. Moderate stock modded builds are my local errand bikes, as generally I get in less trouble with them (breakdown and split second decisions)

My stock modded bikes get more miles generally. 45mph is plenty fast enough to get you into trouble.

Nothing lasts forever. Possessions are temporary.

Experience is where it’s at.

Have a fling with a favorite model. Build it up, ride it, have fun. Don’t be afraid to part ways. You get to experience something new and so does someone else.

I feel like being overly attached to things is dangerous. Live for the good times.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My favorite moped is my black 1978 Garelli Gran Sport LTD. Its identical to the bike I bought brand new in 1978 and gave away in 1993. I won’t even put a price on it.

Overpriced Parts /

I like rippers and stock modded bikes so what I did for our personal bikes is to combined them both to make a bike that can go between 55-60mph yet still be a grocery getter which they are used for sometimes,

I did this by necessity because around 15 years ago there was really nowhere halfway far out here you could go without going on 45 to 55 mph roads first, if you don’t go five mph over the speed limit you’ll get mowed down so high speed with fast takeoff was needed,

I try to keep as much factory look, feel, parts and reliability as possible

Now there is so many housing developments they dropped the speed limit down to 35 some to 25mph on many rds so a 40mph bike works 3 of the 4 directions so I really don’t need to build like that anymore

But my favorite bike still is a Magnum frame bike, gila or polini reed kit, Puch za50 engine but with a mild pipe, mild timing and higher gearing that allows for good temperatures, lower rpm which increases engine life,

I replace tires more than I rebuild engines

campeona del mundo /

stock tomos a35 w/ pipe sell all other bikes.

Tweaker trash /

Ripping stock junky mopeds in the winter on country roads with snow suit gear is mad fun

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The dreaded one's Targa 95 ttlx 3 accidents once it was held and threatened as scrap for ins cost of repair 1,100 for what they would give me totalled 800. I took 4 and the bike. No moped salvage titles it would be crushed.

I will die with it or on it.

Fish tits Krauthamer /

I am all over the place with this. I have sold probably 3 bikes that I swore at some time that I would be buried with. I dont miss them. I want bikes to be in people's hands that will enjoy them more than I am trying to get over on them. I get that people see their mopeds as an investment, but that aspect is nothing compared to having fun riding with friends.

Tweaker trash /

Give me moped and I give you freedom

I can't see myself ever getting rid of my first Motron Medalist. I saved up my lawn mowing and parachute packing money, paid cash, was hit by a drunk driver, replaced the entire back end, had chronic back pain for 40 plus years, moved it to 4 different places, rebuilt the top end twice, and was told that one of my kids is willing to take it for a ride at some point. Too many memories to get rid of this bike.

Everyone needs 2 mopeds that they love and won't part with. I have about 5 that I wouldn't ever sell.

> Fish tits Krauthamer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>having fun riding with friends.

I miss that, a lot..

Fuckin' power went out. I guess it would have to be the maxi I have now. It was the first moped I got in Richmond and I waited a while to eventually find one. Had some offers on a hobbit, and a tomos, but I just wanted a maxi. Got to ride it a bit before I started the rebuild while I was there, and never really finished it. Still today it's not even done, just still sitting in pieces, but It'll get there eventually.

I get emotionally attached to whatever oddball piece of junk I've resurrected from the dead, but the feeling fades when I get another basket case.

When I got my rusty Carabela running, I loved it. Reliable, semi-rare, beautiful in that ugly way, mostly stock and a 43mph rider.

Then I got the Cimatti Gran Prix XL, and sold the Carabela for a profit.

I love the Cimatti. Another rare, reliable, fast bike, and at the moment, think I'll never sell it. But who knows what will come along next?

And then there's the Ducati Piuma 48. I put a lot of time and money into making it perfect. I love staring at it. But it's not that fun to ride. It's slow (35) and it shifts funky with the handshifter. If the motor blows, which it will, eventually, if I ride it a lot, it's not an easy replacement. It's really far from being an easy fix. It's searching eBay Italy all over again. So it's a garage queen. With a cover on it. And will inevitably be sold, hopefully for a premium price at a big fancy auction...

I'm not a collector, I'm more like the hospital, where I bring them back from the dead, then send them on their way to enjoy the rest of their lives.

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

Bikes come and go. The only time I've ever regretted selling a bike is when I sold a clean rare bike to someone that beat the shit out of it. Even then, I didn't regret selling it, just selling it to that person.

You can't ride them all. Storing them sucks. The more bikes you have, the harder maintenance becomes on all of them, and the more likely it is that you're harming some bikes through neglect.

That being said, I have a bike or two I'll never sell. I think there are exactly two types of bikes in terms of emotional value; never selling and everything else. You know the bikes you'll never sell, if you're debating it at all its probably a seller.

When slimming down I usually start with bikes I have had for the least amount of time and have done the least with. Those are usually bikes I bought for cheap and thought would be a fun project.

The value you put on them doesn't really mean anything when even competitively priced bikes sit on cl/offerup for months at a time. Eventually you'll realize how much you care about a bike when you drop the price to $350 just to get it the fuck out.

I think at this stage I can comfortably say I've had 150 mopeds go through my hands, I've been trying to lighten my load from almost 40 down to 5, currently at 9. I've sold 1 bike I said I'd never sell being my first mb5 so someone could enjoy it and flex their city hard as fuck, I have 2 bikes I think I'll have forever or until a stupid number gets offered of my tomos (lowmos) chopper and my NS50. I genuinely feel if you haven't rode the bike in 3 months then you're ready to sell to someone that will ride it. We're not all adam moyer or chad burke that can keep 200+ bikes at all times. Pass the obsession onto someone new

daan SJAARLOOS /

I have various mopeds in states of disrepair but my orange puch mv 50 (Sears all state) I won't sell. Too many good times on that bike. Rode it to Switzerland and back once from Holland. Best holiday ever. Not a valuable bike at all, nor in beautiful condition but I like it a lot for that actually. You don't have to worry about scratching te paint or keeping it mint and stuff like that. I have a few other mopeds that I would love to own but I would probably still love this one the most.

Pete Puczasaurus /

I miss my 77 Vespa Ciao. Bought it with the engine in a box, filled with sand and completely neglected. Loved messing around with that rotary valve engine. Such a simple bike. Regret selling that one.

roots to wings /

I'll probably never part with my 77 maxi, new to me in 79. Rode it hard for 5 years and mothballed it after a buddy crashed it in college. Sat untouched for over 30 years before I decided to resurrect it during covid. It was a great moment when that thing fired up again and it was a great moment when it started up last week after my first bottom end rebuild. It's part of the antiquity of my life that I don't think I could part with. Nobody rides Dad's moped!...so I had to get a couple more for the kids.

As a sort of OG moped rider, my getting back into this (3rd time) was nostalgia and a love of wrenching. Doubt I’d ever sell my ‘77 Maxi, first bike I got in the modern era. Reminds me of what it was like having a moped back in 1977 every time I ride it.

Captain Janeway /

I'm starting to let go of mine since my back is trashed. One can hit over 50 and was fun when I can hit a good flat, but is so loud I never made a real connection with it. One I just won't get rid of. I love it's look and the way it rode. The previous owner took such good care of it that you can see your reflection in the gas tank lol. Lots of miles on it and it's the one I took to my first rallies.

I'll probably let go of the red one too. Beautiful bike and runs great. She's so purdy in red. It just makes me sad that I can't ride them so I may need to just let go.

I just can't let go of the one yet.

I’ve had many a “I will never sell this bike” bikes that I’ve always sold after a couple years. The only bike still in the garage is my wife’s first bike, Batavus Regency, because it’s beautiful, peppy, fun as hell, reliable and was the first motorized 2 wheeler I ever rode. It has too many memories attached to it. It was also mike rafters first moped and there at the dawn of the landsquids gang, so we would never let it leave the squid family if it did leave our garage.

My gold maxi has that place in my heart. It’s the moped that got me back into mopeds and has helped save me from depression and anxiety.

I quit mopeds 7 or 8 years ago. I had a lot of fun with my first maxi, rode that fucker everywhere for a few years. It was stock as fuck, but I always dreamed of kitting it and doing big things. My sisters tomos ate a transmission, so we stole the top end and bolted it to the maxi. Had fun until I got port happy and bricked it. Got a magnum in a trade at some point. Was told it was some sort of rare model, but that didn’t mean much to me at the time. My goals for that we’re bigger. It had the Za50, which was intriguing. After some research though, all the naysaying and misunderstanding of the Za50 scared me away from building it. Not until recently did I know that under a can of red spray paint(previous owner) there was a ups magnum.

After a while, the scene just wasn’t around me(that I knew of), and I had other things going on so I gave up on mopeds altogether and sold the maxi and magnum. Fast forward to the end of 2019, beginning of 2020 and I started talking about a moped again. This time I had a goal set. To find a moped relatively cheap and build what I always wanted, a kitted moped. My preference being a puch or tomos. High on my list was a Za50 powered maxi. One, because my first moped was a maxi and two, because I never gave the first za50 the love that it needed. I searched and searched for a few months until I came across my gold maxi. A 1979 maxi ii. Crusty, rusty, and the Za50 in desperate need of rebuilding.

I picked it up when covid was on the rise, things were starting to shut down and everyone was hunkering down. I had suspicions of problems in my relationship before and covid really put a magnifying glass on that. She wouldn’t see me in person, even if outside, wearing masks, and socially distanced. I had a feeling she was using covid as an advantage to push me away. My breaking point was being on a video chat and seeing her drinking a Dunkin’ Donuts iced coffee, while telling me she never leaves the house and doesn’t touch outside things in fear of covid.

At one point I jokingly said “this moped will be on the road before I see her”... well it is, has been and I still haven’t seen her. I do wish her the best, but I also wish never to see her again.

It was a daunting task to take on. I’ve been working on cars for years, but I’d never rebuilt a moped before, let alone a Za50 engine. My initial goals were mild, but after a bunch of research, I set myself a big goal and started buying parts immediately. With covid driving a wedge in the world and me dealing with a break up, I was distressed and depressed. Building the moped kept me sane. It kept me busy and kept my mind working, it still does every day.

Mopeds, that one specifically, saved my life this past year. If it weren’t for that I don’t know where I would be today. I’ve always struggled with depression and anxiety. Having something to keep me busy and keep me thinking has always helped, but nothing as much as mopeds has. With everything else I’ve ever tinkered on, there’s always a “best way” to do things and everything is so uniform. It gets boring an monotonous. With mopeds there really is no right or wrong way to do something. There’s soo many different directions you can go and so many different mopeds to build in different ways. There is no “best way” to do things no matter which route you go and there’s always room for improvement.

Mopeds in general mean a lot to me, but this gold maxi holds a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Saving her from an ugly unknown future, saved me from the same and set me on a path to do the same for others when I can(Mopeds and humans). I cherish her for that.

You guys remind me of why I love this shit so much. Blasting is fun, casual rides on a lightly modded stocker is fun too. I love wrenching on my bikes, it makes for a rewarding hobby. It's fun to tinker with these bikes from time to time and then get to hop on them and blast. My favorite bike? My 45mph kitted Tomos A3. Its a straight up blast machine. My other favorite is my mostly stock-ish Puch Newport e50. That bike is good for casual 30 to 35mph rides in the Metroparks

Matt,

I read your story. It touched me. Sorry for the hard times, but happy for the good times.

You are right. Mopeds, as we do them here, have no hard rules. It is as much art as it is any form of mechanical tuning or whatever.

There is freedom in that. Freedom that unleashes creativity which produces a unique artform.

I posted earlier that no moped (or possession) holds such value that I couldn’t let it go eventually. I hope your machine keeps a place in your heart and garage and brings good feels for a long time.

My favorite bike is my next bike, gotta keep it moving.

fun game. what about the bike you got such a good deal on that you're just silly for selling.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Jason Thompson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> fun game. what about the bike you got such a good deal on that you're

> just silly for selling.

My MB5. Bought it for $400, trimmed the plug wire and preceded to ride it for 6k miles, with no failures.

Sold it to fund a garage, but the buyer had it impounded in 2 weeks and it now is sitting in an impound lot, rotting in the navy yard.

I'll never sell a personal bike again.

Well said, ive got about 20 now.

My first one stayes.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account