Re: 1963 Batavus Bilonet Super Sport

That bike sounds peppy! Probably the most fun sounding Bat if seen.

Pushrod Fifty /

Such a cool bike, I like the sheetmetal work, the tank is awesome.

Agreed...that front fender and the engine scoop make the bike. Is that engine ducting effective? Wonder why more bikes didn't have that unless it made idle temp an issue.

I sent a friend from the Netherlands (an older Bat expert with lots of connections) this thread. I'm interested to see what he says about that model and the options. When the last Bilonet popped up on B/S, he could tell what was original, what wasn't, etc.

My friend got back to me. His comments below...and a few photos. Funky pattern on that seat!

"i did have a look at it and must say that it is an interesting story that goes with this Batavus TS50 Superport. It looks like an original bike with the wrong headlight. Over here in the Netherlands they are not hard to find (headlight i mean).

The engine is a much looked for item but the second gear most of the time is bad. Replacement parts for this second gear are not nearly (hard) to find as are the TS50 JLO engines in general."

He also sent me some screenshots of the engine diagrams that I can send to you if you're interested.

BatavusTS50motor.JPG
TS50SSR.JPG

You should make sure to get a leopard print seat! That’s cool the bike has driven clutch instead of a drive clutch.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

Have you ever tried boiled linseed oil instead of wd40?

^^ on that point I use ACF 50 (contains a rust killer) instead of WD-40, honestly I wish I'd found ACF 50 years ago. After it's all cleaned and oiled I use Morris's Anchor Wax which can be buffed up and keeps the water out, there must be an equivalent in the states.

That is a serious beautiful moped there, love the art deco nods. As with all your builds I'll be checking in on this one👍

I just use WD-40 because it's easy, and I always have a few cans laying around. I don't know where they come from, but I can't remember ever buying a can in my life.

Myron's Mopeds came through with a headlight. Called Shawn to see if he knew if there were any other models that used them, and he goes, "I got one..."

Man, i love that guy.

IMG_20210223_133023.jpg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Naval jelly?

Enough about the patina. It is what it is. Save your secrets for counting cars or gas monkey.

Now I can't get it to shift right. It's either first and second, just second, just first, or only third.

New cable, cleaned the discs, adjusted it every way possible. Something just isn't engaging.

And I really don't want to tear the damn motor apart ...

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> And I really don't want to tear the damn motor apart ...

That's probably what it's gonna take .

Something maybe bent like a shift fork or maybe a worn fork ?

Yeah, I'm gonna pull it apart today. I'm not looking forward to it, as all I have is a blurry exploded view from a pdf and all the text is in dutch, and I can't copy and paste it into google translate.

But worse than that, is I'm afraid of what I'll find. If something is bent or broken beyond a simple repair, parts for these are not easy to find.

Especially when you look up "JLO TS50" and google asks you if you meant "JLO twerking" and gives you hundreds of results for Jennifer Lopez.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If that works like a combo of Sachs and batavus clutches. God help you you poor soul....

Interior pressure plates hanging up on central cogthingy. Worn friction disks collapsed wavy thingies or spring washer.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You have a blow out of clutch?

If it's the cog thingy hanging I have a trick.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

You can try before tearing in

> baird co Wrote:

> Especially when you look up "JLO TS50" and google asks you if you meant

> "JLO twerking" and gives you hundreds of results for Jennifer Lopez.

Oh man, that is more of a bonus!

> baird co Wrote:

> Yeah, I'm gonna pull it apart today. I'm not looking forward to it, as

> all I have is a blurry exploded view from a pdf and all the text is in

> dutch, and I can't copy and paste it into google translate.

>

If you need anything translated just let me know.

Is the bike a hand clutch or does it have some weird door semi auto clutch like an old Honda? Plastic bags and sharpies make reassembly of stuff like this way smoother. It may be a pain now but it’ll be a blessing later. You could try completely removing the clutch first to see if you still have the problem, that would leave one less thing to cause the problem.

It's got a regular wet plate clutch. 5 friction discs. Foot shift.

Pulled it apart, everything looks great, nothing missing, nothing broken, nothing stripped. reassembled according to the diagram. Came apart easy, went back together easy.

Only have second gear. Sometimes first.

Seems like clutch isn't releasing enough to engage, and it seems like the clutch is releasing too much to engage.

It's a fucken mystery to me.

Screenshot_20210224-162540.png
Blok ILO TS50 2.JPG

Do you have second every time? And is it more chunky clunky than before? Wondering if your problem is shift drum related. Sounds like it could be a bent shift fork or maybe the spring that returns the shift drum to center is stretched and doesn’t get the shift fork out of one trac before going into another. The pins that go into the shift drum could also be worn.

Is the place the clutch cable pulls on the arm on the same side of the engine as the clutch? From the diagram it looks like the way it works is the whole shaft gets pulled when you disengage the clutch. That mechanism could be worn too. Sorry to say that your best bet is gonna be splitting the cases. May the moped gods take pity upon your soul.

Mind you this is all spitballing from wrenching on Hondas. You’re probably more qualified in this department than me 😬

Already split 'em and put them back together.

Fork is fine. Springs are springy. Only wear is on the shaft where the second gear moves up and down. Smoothed it out so the gear moves freely. Nothing is binding.

Looks like low mileage on everything.

Clutch discs look perfect.

Lever on engine is tight, but moves freely. Tight because it's not worn out.

Only gear I can find is second. It'll click in and out smooth from neutral. If I kick up and hold it, first gear will engage.

Third is nowhere to be found.

Everything reassembled the way it's supposed to be, according to the exploded view. All shims, gears, etc in the proper place, double and triple checked.

Tried adjusting the lock screw on the clutch plates, and the cable tension.

Nothing works.

It's the same clutch disc set-up as the Minarelli P4 and 6, so I'm familiar with adjusting the clutch tension, how the plates stack, etc.

Plates move when clutch is pulled. When in second, pulling the clutch neutralizes it. Nothing seems to be binding.

Gonna keep fucking with it tomorrow.

Sorry about the gear woes. I’m super jealous of this find. Nice score

Not to beat a dead horse but any chance you have the fork upside-down or the drum rotated 180? Not trying to say ur dumb, just want to see you get this thing back on the road... again.

It only goes in one way. So, no. But, without actual rebuild instructions and just going off an exploded diagram, there's something I missed.

So today, I'm going to tear this MF'er apart again and figure it out.

And if I can't, I may swap a Minarelli P6 or P4 into it.

Parts for the JLO engine are nigh impossible to come by, so the engine may get shelved, but this bike will run again, no matter what.

I got it to shift. All three gears work. The problem, which in hindsight, should have been obvious, is the shift fork needs to be in the right gear when it's put together.

It has detent balls in it that follow grooves, and it needs to be in the first gear groove, if the shift fork is in first, etc.

It's pretty simple and it's pretty simple to overlook, because it all fits together no matter what position the grooves are.

There's also a shim in the wrong place in the exploded view. If you put one there, the kick starter won't engage.

I need to adjust the clutch pack, 'cause the clutch slips too much, but I'm giving up for today.

It also needs rings and seals. It smokes like a spyhunter smoke screen. Like, there's a trail of white smoke for 5-6 blocks. Seriously.

Also found where they hide the front wheel lock. Now i just need a key made...

IMG_20210225_162435.jpg
IMG_20210225_162430.jpg

Gonna work on the pacer for awhile. Gotta get that going for Sunday parking lot racing.

Man that's great what a great feeling, transmissions are always so fidgy and peculiar but they are like little clocks and so predictable

That Batavus though......My HS50 aint got shit on that

So, the JLO motor is fucked. I've rebuilt it 4 times. Trying to get the second gear to engage.

It appears to be binding on the shaft instead of...

Why am I bothering to explain. None of you will know what I'm talking about unless you worked on one.

And to really piss me off, the kickstart spring broke.

Fuck this piece of shit. no wonder the germans lost WWII.

So I'll have to figure out a different motor, or sell the whole bike for a bar display.

Dang. That stinks. I think those engines are pretty hard to find in the US. Could you maybe sub in a Sachs 50S or something?

Dirty30 Dillon /

Honestly, I would keep it whole and off-load it.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account