Re: 1963 Batavus Bilonet Super Sport

Oh come on, find a spring and make it go. One more try, Just take a few days off.

It's not the spring, that I can fix. It's the gears.

The engines are impossible to find anywhere. All of them have been snatched up already for the second gear shaft. Everyone in the UK hates these motors, and they've all been junked or stripped for parts.

There is a Sachs model, but it's slower.

I have a Minarelli P4 and two P6's, and I think I can make one fit by just drilling another hole for the motor mount.

The chain is on the other side on the Minarellis, but I can flip flop the wheel, weld a brake tab, and redo the rear foot brake.

In my head it seems pretty easy, but I won't know till I try to mock it up.

As far as unloading it onto someone else, I want it, and it can't be fixed without new gears and a shaft, so unless someone can machine gears, or has a hidden stockpile of obscure JLO motors, it's useless.

Ah well... I get it. The last time I looked into that type of machine work it gets prohibitively expensive very fast. I'm sure you'll find an engine that would be an appropriate swap. It's just too cool to be relegated to wall art. I enjoyed the updates on this.

I know a guy who'll give me more than I paid for it right now, cash money, just to put it in on display in his shop as "art."

Turned him down repeatedly. Yesterday, though, after the fourth engine rebuild and the ten thousandth clutch adjustment, I was tempted to call him.

But I had a smoke, closed the garage, and made a sandwich instead.

It'll run again, soon...

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ...I was tempted to call

> him.

>

> But I had a smoke, closed the garage, and made a sandwich instead.

>

> It'll run again, soon...

That’s the spirit!!!!

Keep an eye out on ebay, I've seen jlo engines on there from time to time. I got rid of one a few years ago, but it was pretty crusty, not much hope for the internals.

Whats the status, of that sick ass, Batavus?

Not good. Needs a new engine. The parts I need for the transmission don't exist anymore. It's on the back burner for now.

you should put some leather conditioner on that saddle, bring out the black it in and help with bringing the leather back to life

> Ian Morin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> you should put some leather conditioner on that saddle, bring out the

> black it in and help with bringing the leather back to life

It's maroon. And having a nice seat doesn't do any good without an engine that works.

It's like being homeless, but you found a nice couch to sleep on.

IMG_20210222_163421.jpg

I got this thing to shift, finally.

So, for the sake of anyone with a fucked up JLO TS50 motor who stumbles upon this thread, I'll tell you how.

The second gear slides up and down a shaft, constantly spinning on the shaft when in 1st and third, and locks into tapered splines on the shaft when shifted into second.

As it gets old and and the splines wear, it binds up and jams, and won't slide over them anymore.

So I grinded down the splines on the shaft to make it all sloppy and rounded, so the sliding gear wouldn't catch. So instead of looking like a wedge, it looks like a hump.

I only test rode it around the block 1 1/2 times (because I forgot I drained the tank) but it shifted through all three gears without binding.

How long will it last before total failure? Who knows. But if the second gear fails completely, at least it'll have 1st and 3rd. Probably.

Also, if anyone needs any help rebuilding a JLO TS50, I can do it almost blindfolded now. I think that's the fifth time I've rebuilt it.

And the bike might be going up for sale soon. Not cheap.

Rode by an old locksmith today on the Batavus that had a sign in the window that read "antique motorcycle keys made here."

So I stopped and we very carefully pried the lock out of the handlebars, and he cut me two keys for 25 bucks.

Now ya gotta drag it away if you want to steal it...

IMG_20210505_145223.jpg
IMG_20210505_145306.jpg
IMG_20210505_145205.jpg

I like it . :)

Won bike of the month at the OC vintage bike show today. Beat out a super clean velocette and a restored triumph. And a bunch of other crappy bikes.

IMG_20210509_161757.jpg

The more car shows, bike shows and other wheeled events I attend, I really most appreciate things you don't see many of. Even if they are overly robust with patina.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

You deserve it!

Sponsored by Jack in the box

Congrats! Also that wheel lock is hilarious, I love it.

Friends I have this think rode dirt bikes treat me like I'm five what do I have what's it worth and what do I need to do to ride it legally in ohio

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1620840856364_6798299287214578867.jpeg

First thing to do is start your own thread or it'll get lost here.

Then take some better pictures and post up some more information.

Nevermind.... I see you've figured it out... (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account