Best Puch gas tank cleaning method

I’ve tried White vinegar once Before , Shaking it around often and letting it sit over night. Not sure if there is a better method. Thanks

Re: Best Puch gas tank cleaning method

What I did to a puch maxi 77.

1) Took to car wash, utilized the power washer.

2) home depot -> 1 gallon "metal rescue"

3) follow directions (can add large size nuts and bolts to shake around and knock crud off)

4) re-power wash.

5) I skipped this by you can use POR15 or other similar gas tank sealer kit at your own discretion.

I opted to just keep it topped off with 2 stroke at all times. Rust reappearance has been minimal in 2 years. (edited)

In evaporust we trust.

Seriously, it's magical stuff. I've used it on several tanks and a bunch of other random parts. Degrease the tank before pouring it in.

> Quattro Audi Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What I did to a puch maxi 77.

>

> 1) Took to car wash, utilized the power washer.

>

> 2) home depot -> 1 gallon "metal rescue"

>

> 3) follow directions (can add large size nuts and bolts to shake around

> and knock crud off)

>

> 4) re-power wash.

>

> 5) I skipped this by you can use POR15 or other similar gas tank sealer

> kit at your own discretion.

>

> I opted to just keep it topped off with 2 stroke at all times. Rust

> reappearance has been minimal in 2 years.

Caswell is the only good take sealer, the rest suck really bad

Jesse Nordlander /

U can do electrolysis, stick a steel probe inside not touching tank wall to act as the anode.

^^ What Brian said....cleaned 5 tanks with it. This last tank I bought the whole Por 15 kit because it looked terrible and had a small hole. I soldered the whole and evaporust and it’s clean metal now and no sealer needed. I never thought that tank could get that clean.

roots to wings /

Search moped army.

I agree with Evaporust. It's easy, magical, harmless to your skin/paint, and works really really well.

Mark Younggren /

Evoporust for the win.

Need to leave it over night or longer though. So don’t rush the process.

Whatever has ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid in it will work fine.. (most rust removers)..

2 of my magnum tanks were encrusted with rust. white vinegar worked great for me. filled to to the top, let it sit for 2-4 days, flushed out & done.

Thank you for all the great options! I’ve learned so much from all you wise moped peeps. I wasn’t getting spark but learned from one of these threads how to test the condenser and that I could buy an old vw beetle Condenser at auto store and plug and play, I’m now getting spark!

Myrons Mopeds, "How to Clean Gas Tanks"

https://myronsmopeds.com/2008/08/carburetor-service/

As Jesse said earlier, Ive done 2 maxi's with the electrolysis method. The first time I did it I first used the Evaporust overnite and could not believe how much more rust came out of the tank after the electrolysis method.There are several videos on Youtube on how to do it so I wont explain it all here, but here is a link to one...

Johnny Braaapp /

Umm... how about the wiki? I thought that was kinda the reason we have the wiki in the first place.....

Matt Grantonic /

Wow, that blows my mind. I did drywall screws and shook it around for probably and hour total then pressure washed it using a 90 degree wand...like 8 bucks on Amazon and handy for other things too. It worked pretty well, then I POR15 tank sealed it. Time will tell but I sure wish I saw this video 3 months ago. Let us know how it goes.

In the olden days I used to fill a rusty tank with cheap cola. Leave it sitting for a day or two and thoroughly rinse afterwards. That didn't work half bad. There are better ways, but this is a cheap and easy one.

campeona del mundo /

i por15'd a swinger tank about 12 years ago and it's still doing fine. and that's with CA gas which is like 15% ethanol.

Agree about the Evaporust. You have to know that something as friendly to your hands, paint, and (supposedly) the environment is not super strong. For super rusty tanks, muriatic acid. Moderate rust, Oxalic acid. Surface rust is fine for Evaporust. All of the above have to done correctly and with plenty of rinsing followed by alcohol. Also, you must coat the tank afterward. I use old, filtered premix since it has to be flushed out anyway. BTW--what's with this trend of people not using the Wiki? Oh, wait. That's nothing new...

If you decide to use any tank liner, make sure you follow the directions exactly.

I've had good luck with red kote.

I use The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Cheap and works great.

Jesse Nordlander /

Although I am a big fan of electrolysis, I will be trying evaporust next time due to above comments.

Evaporust is the best

Tweaker trash /

> Quattro Audi Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What I did to a puch maxi 77.

>

> 1) Took to car wash, utilized the power washer.

>

> 2) home depot -> 1 gallon "metal rescue"

>

> 3) follow directions (can add large size nuts and bolts to shake around

> and knock crud off)

>

> 4) re-power wash.

>

> 5) I skipped this by you can use POR15 or other similar gas tank sealer

> kit at your own discretion.

>

> I opted to just keep it topped off with 2 stroke at all times. Rust

> reappearance has been minimal in 2 years.

Yea the power washer is the bees knees!

I power washer

Then fill with vinger and salt for 2-3days

Empty

Re power washer

Comes out like new, like someone bead blasted the inside.

Wear a grinder face mask unless u like rusty water in your eyes

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account