Columbia commuter tank conversion

This old rusty commuter runs so good i.just can't.stand to part it ..the tank has more rust than i want to deal with so in looking around found this tank on ebay for $39.99.with free shipping and decided to convert to top tank ..comes with petcock,locking cap and has really decent paint job... have to say i was impressed on the tank at such low price..it is a bit larger ( 2.4 gal) than i really wanted but can deal with that for the price..forgot to say they are new tanks (edited)

20210412_125149.jpg

Re: Columbia commuter tank conversion

Yea I've used those tanks, they're so cheap people try to put em on mopeds but they're too big for most anything except like a magnum or a street mate

Same with the matching seats (also like 30 bucks), they're cheap and too big haha, but it almost works

That frames gonna snap

Well will it might look a little big my friend but it is mounted and in use..frame is stronger now than before Aaron ..it has a square tubing brace under the tank that it didn't have before and the tank is not rusted with holes,just surface rust i guess you could call it....

Gotcha man. I've had bad experience with rusted step through bikes folding with a couple pinholes.

Then again, never had a commuter tho. I do like the frame style alot tho.

I don't really know what direction i want to go with it...might make a bobber or might see what left over parts i can mount just to make it different...just playing.. (edited)

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

That tank looks like it'd fit on a Laguna, looks very similar in shape and size

I think it said honda 125 replica but not sure...i might swap to a smaller tank in the future if i find something i like or might just leave that one..it's serving the purpose

Tried a few things today for a different look..

20210413_190906.jpg

I dont know why... but I like that ^^^^^^

I appreciate the comment .i was hoping for some ideas or feedback ...i like it in a way but still not sure what i want....thinking of doing a long flat seat without the rack and fatter tires...i think i have decided to stay with those bars for now..

I am leaning toward ordering this seat to try and do away with the rack

$_3.jpeg.jpg

It looks like when you try on those guaranteed 1 million laughs glasses or a giant foam cowboy hat. It looks out of scale and ridiculous and nothing can help that.

I’m sure it functions well but it looks like almost every Moto tank on a moped, too big and goof city

Just paint that tank camo . no one will be able to see it . LOL

Well thats your opinion and you sure are entitled to it..i said to start i would rather it was smaller but will deal with it until something better comes along..it functions fine as it is.i will work.on other aspects until i find something i like better or might end up leaving that one

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just paint that tank camo . no one will be able to see it . LOL

Thats an idea PD.... or i guess i could rub it down with vanishing cream also?

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Just paint that tank camo . no one will be able to see it . LOL

>

> Thats an idea PD.... or i guess i could rub it down with vanishing cream

> also?

Man , I haven't seen that stuff in such a long time .

Must be they use the cream on the label . ;)

i picked up a Benelli on here that had a welded on cross-bar and the previous owner used the same tank that you have. Like you said, it's functional and all, but it didn't look right with the proportions of the frame.

I tried a bunch of tanks I had on hand...magnum, minibike, Garelli SSXL and Rally Sport and of all of those, oddly enough, the Garelli Rally Sport tank seemed to look the best. Similar contours and about the right size. I can send you pics of that if you want just for your reference.

The important thing is that you still get to ride the bike without fuel leaking everywhere.

Thanks for the garelli.info..i looked on ebay and seems they are selling in the $200 range...i bought the ped for $35 for parts and not that i'm a cheapo i just hate to put as much in a tank as it probably worth when finished lol...

Still tinkering adding a few things...waiting on a front tire and stuck the short one on to roll it around now thinking about leaving it that way...it is different...getting close to taking back apart and putting a little lip stick on it

20210413_191246.jpg

Ooopps posted the wrong pic..this is it

20210420_132749.jpg

I have that seat on my cb125. The tank you have is close to the cb125 tank size. if you put that seat on a ped or will be very long (edited)

20190719_194403.jpg

I have a tank like that one I got from ebay for cheap. It is actually supposed to be a fit for a cg125 honda. If you need aomenpics of the combo tank and seat on a ped let me know.

I think measurements were 16 inches long on the seat....i forget how wide.. seems 9 inches or so...to use the rack i guess i mught stay with the express seat.. thinking of boxing in the rack for a storage bin....i think the tank said honda 125 replica.

Yea those tank seat combos are cheap as hell, its wild how much cheaper they are than used even. I can barely even ship a seat for the price those cost delivered to my door. Bananas.

I used the pair on a budget build nighthawk 250 last year, I liked how it turned out, I only had less than 600 in that build, and it was a huge transformation. They fit together well, the insane cheap seats and insane cheap tanks, since they were made for the same bike, they almost just clip together, mix and match a few seat and tank colors and variations, pop out generic mototrendy Cafe or scrambler tracker thing.

Still i agree they wind up looking oversized on a lot of moped stuff, but function over form here, you've got a working bike and it's not terrible, it looks better than a motorized bicycle tank for sure.

IMG_20200425_151931_937.jpg

I need some ideas for exaust for it.. haven't done any mods at all on any so in the dark on what might work for better performance and a little noise from exaust...

It is making it look totally different..i might call it the reverse Jenner

20191217_173105.jpg
20210420_132749.jpg

Reverse jenner?

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Reverse jenner?

Started out as what in bicycles would be. a female version and changed.to.what wouid be considered a males ...think about it ..

I thought that was it.

god damn I really hoped i was wrong, but nah, you couldnt help yourself posting some controversial transphobic bullshit

WHY?

why? I know why because you are a thin skinned weakling and you couldnt handle that people thught your clearly oversized and poorly mounted tank looked like shit. and rather than consider your garbage is actually just ugly ass trash because you barely quarter-assed an effort to replace the tank with the cheapest made-in-china option your "patriotic" ass could afford, instead of making a decent effort to fit the tank well, you decided to double-down and be a fucking generic asshole so you could pretend, yet again, that you're the victim of everyone ganging up on you, and you could ignore their criticisms rather than have to admit to yourself you're actually just trash at mopeds and trash at being a decent human being.

you really fucking suck sometimes dude, you absolutely knew that would piss people off, and rightfully. you didnt post that to be funny, you 100% just put up that shit like "well if you don't like my tank, fuck you i'll make some ignorant asshole comment just to piss yall off". this had no reason for you to bring any of that bullshit in. the tank looks terrible, i don't care - I actually like how goofy it is. but man, you couldn't just let it be about mopeds, couldnt refrain from reminding everyone what a backwards fool insist on being

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account