GPS Speedometer Recommendations?

Anyone have one they really like? Quality and price seems to vary quite a bit.

Ideally, I’d like one that’s bar-mounted and that I can take off when it’s parked somewhere or if I want to move it from one moped to another. Battery or solar, whatever works.

I have one I’m currently riding with no speedo and one with a broken speedo I was thinking I might just remove instead of fixing if I can find a solution that works for both mopeds.

Re: GPS Speedometer Recommendations?

Just use your phone, DigiHUD is what I use on my Android.

I have a cheap 8 year old Garmin relagated to speedo duty. Still up to date if I need maps too. But otherwise on the speed/elevation screen...think it was like $15 used in fleabay

Probably Fred /

If you have a puch the VDO speedometers can be very accurate if you get a new, nos or even a good used 40 mph one that the needle doesn’t rub on the glass.

A Good cable and drive are needed too then go by roadside radar to see how accurate it is!

All my 40 and 60mph vdo speedos are within a mile or so at 40 miles an hour but sometimes I got a bad one/bad set up but like all things Moped related you have to tune/blueprint systems.

I have these on a couple of my bikes; they work well and are quite accurate:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9I9F3/

> Brian F Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I have these on a couple of my bikes; they work well and are quite

> accurate:

>

I had one of those on my GPR, I liked it. A PO had wired it straight to the battery which would kill it, you need to tie it into the key or have some switch for it in line. If you're putting it on a moped you'll need 12v from your stator and to have a regulator and a rectifier on it. Otherwise you could just run it off a small 12v battery

Nice - couple of good items to check into here. Ideally I’ll be able to move it easily from one moped to the other, which is why I was looking into this rather than replacing with a NOS or used speedo.

Considered using a phone-based one too, but I don’t know if I trust a mounting bracket on the handlebars. Would rather a $60 GPS falls off than a phone, haha. (edited)

I run it from a 12v lighting coil -> fuse -> rectifier -> regulator. No battery.

Moving this one from bike to bike would be annoying, but possible.

What size fuse do you run? 5A (assuming 16g wire)

> Brian F Wrote:

> I have these on a couple of my bikes; they work well and are quite

> accurate:

>

I was looking at these. Plus they are 60mm so it is the size of the bullet headlight drop out.

> Jay Rivett Wrote:

> > Brian F Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I have these on a couple of my bikes; they work well and are quite

>

> > accurate:

>

> >

>

>

> I was looking at these. Plus they are 60mm so it is the size of the

> bullet headlight drop out.

Yep. They fit right in on my Peugeot 103 and Puch Maxi.

> ~ chul ~ Wrote:

> What size fuse do you run? 5A (assuming 16g wire)

I use a 15A fuse. I'm not worried about the wiring failing, it's more to protect the electronics. It's probably not necessary, but it's there because it's what Trail Tech recommends.

Cool thanks. I burned one of these out running 6v AC because it worked for a while. And because I was lazy and dumb.

I've seen friends use the dial ones, like needle style. works very well (honestly better than the actual analog speedos...)

I usually just assume i'm at either 0, 35 or trying as fast as possible to get from one to the other. If I need it, a phone mount with GPS app

I used to use one called Speed Logger on android, you could record speed and output to an excel sheet which was awesome for comparing tuning. but the latest android updates made the buttons shift off-screen and now it's not usable

anyone know a good GPS (unit or app) that can export speed data?

I'm NOT looking for route trackers, which winds up conflating all my searches. I just wanna make excel plots and overlay acceleration and top speeds as I change tuning

So, I ended up going with a relatively inexpensive bike computer. Cost about $25 on amazon and I bought two handlebar mounts. Snaps in and lifts out like a charm. So for $40, I’ve got a speedo for two different bikes that required next to no effort, haha.

This was the model I went with - compared with a car speedo and accurate within 1 mph:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QLWSMF/

6984F3B2-230A-47A2-951D-8F62A89BAFA3.jpeg

i have 2 meh solutions:

1) i accidentally bought the TrailTech tachometer. calculated my final drive ratio so i know how fast im going.

2) bicycle speedos with the magnet and allow you to input tire OD are effective, but update rather slow. under acceleration, the speed listed is slower than you are going.

GPS would def work better than both of these

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> I've seen friends use the dial ones, like needle style. works very well

> (honestly better than the actual analog speedos...)

>

> I usually just assume i'm at either 0, 35 or trying as fast as possible

> to get from one to the other. If I need it, a phone mount with GPS app

>

> I used to use one called Speed Logger on android, you could record speed

> and output to an excel sheet which was awesome for comparing tuning. but

> the latest android updates made the buttons shift off-screen and now

> it's not usable

>

> anyone know a good GPS (unit or app) that can export speed data?

>

> I'm NOT looking for route trackers, which winds up conflating all my

> searches. I just wanna make excel plots and overlay acceleration and top

> speeds as I change tuning

I have one called GPS Hud Spedometer. By AscendApps

It is pretty accurate and lots of functions even on the free version. Only $3 for ad free tho.

It saves rides with lots of details and you can download the info. Not sure if it will dump things to excel for you but it does export it in a nice easy file.

There are also multiple display styles including reversed so you can reflect it off a windshield for real HUD action.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account