Help me

I’ve changed bicycle tires but never had this hard of a time, the front tire went on. I don’t have the right tools. Anyone got any tips? This is the rear wheel of an NC50 it has a tube.

148A43A4-3365-47C4-B768-9238FFA21643.jpeg

Re: Help me

I used small box end wrenches before I bought proper tire irons, and heat helps too. set it out in the sun or lean the tire against an oil radiator space heater for a few minutes.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Smear Dish detergent around the bead of the tire. Use tire irons!

Push the tire down in the groove on the bottom and where you already have the tire on will give you some slack (edited)

Windex helps a lot.

I just mounted an Nr77 on my QT50 a couple of days ago and they are very stiff. Windex didn’t do a thing for me, I’m glad it works for others. I got it on, not quite as far as you have, left in the sun for a little while and then it went on with tire irons. I suggest getting tire irons, there’s less chance of pinching the tube.

Mark Younggren /

Look up the zip tie method and a kitchen butter knife

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

> Will Harrington Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone got any tips?

git gud. just muscle it over

Probably Fred /

> Mark Younggren Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Look up the zip tie method and a kitchen butter knife

Yep zip tie method

You got the bead on one side fully installed right? Then go back to the place where you started and pinch the beads together, then work your way around so that the beads are in the center of the rim, then work towards the last part.

I just mounted some 18x2.50 Heidenau K40R race tires on shouldered 18x1.60 Akront replica rims. First time I had to use the zip tie method.

Also used wd40, tire irons, big orange mallet, gloves, knees, the sun, swore at it, walked away and smoked some cigarettes...

Finally got them on. Never had that much trouble with any of the 30-40 other tires I've mounted.

IMG_20210501_142703.jpg

Ziptie all day long. Get the valve side in first and then work round. First I put the tyres in front of a fan heater for 30 mins. I then used 12 zipties, set out like the hours on a clock. Sprayed a heavy dish soap mix and just got at it. It was quick and only had to get tough on the last part of a wider 17 inch rear.

Will,

Mounting a tire is under rated for the level of mechanic it makes you.

Like, someone could rebuild an entire engine and I would be like: “So. But can you mount a tire?”

It takes strength, precision , and personal resilience.

A lesson that took me a while to learn was that rubber (tire kind) takes a while to deform. So, it gets to the point in your picture above and thats the first time it is actually fighting you.

When I mount a tire by hand, I do all the warming it up and lubing with something too. But, when it gets to that last bead going that last 8” just be patient. Put strong pressure with the palm of your hand right where you want it to advance and just wait.

Sing a song, recite poetry, whatever. Just lean on it and wait a while. It WILL stretch and start to go; even if it is at tectonic speed.

Not all wheels and tires are the same. But Moped tires are (believe it or not) not that bad. They are so small that tools can work but also very easy to pop tubes. Which is expensive and a pain in the ass.

All the other wisdom shared is good too. I am only trying to add to that.

I got it on... but it’s leaking air somewhere in the tube. Learned my 10 dollar lesson. Get the right fucking tools.

with beam cream & proper technique, like 95% of the “moped” tires treats sells can be mounted by hand.

With zip ties 100% of the tires Treats sells can be mounted effortlessly.

Dish soap .

You only have to visit your kitchen . ;)

there's also the trash bag method, worked well with michelin city pros

I've done it without removing the wheel..

20160625_121948.jpg

(edited)

I like the five gallon bucket. The wheel sits on it real nice and you can get some good pressure down on it. Helps to leave the tire in the sun for a bit to warm it up and make it a little softer. No zip ties or tools needed on this one.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account