O/T Honda passport c70 restoration

So bella just picked one of these up for FREE!!! on free craigslist. It doesn't run but the motor is free, the gears seem to work, and the tank is clean.

So is the maintenance on something like this just like a moped, we plan to take her on this sunday and try and get her started.

Any who for anyone who has one of these how do ya like it? anything to check and make sure to replace asap?

I think with a new batt. plug, fluids, clean filters and carb she should start right up yeah!?

Re: O/T Honda passport c70 restoration

Check the points first thing, for realz!

These are awesome machines I want one bad...you were lucky to get it...for free no less!(jealous) anyway they are kind of like mopeds but of course 4 stroke....it may be considered a motorcycle in most areas though requiring a liscence, ins and plates, that said it is a great machine check www.midwestmotorsports.com for parts if you need them or even your local Honda dealer. You will not be sorry you got this bike, and if you are sell it to me!

i hear they are great running I have one that if it was 2 stroke would run (stupid valves) check points check compression if u have 0 compression u get to mess with your valves thats about the only difference to a moped i have seen

Dude nothing wrong with valves especially Honda valves, but some good oil in crank case and it will run forever

not mine :( it won't even run

best bike ever built

im just about dont rebuilding mine i even changed the grearset from 3 speed all down shifting to 4 speed 1 down 3 up

ill i need now is a new piston and rings and it will be running

sell it to me I will make her go!

Good on you man! I would be happy with a 3spd runner!

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

I just got a C100 a few days ago, I'm itching to get it running! I need an ignition key for it, apparently Honda dealers can cut new keys based on a code on the tumbler. Going to give that a try and see what happens.

They can, so can a locksmith as long as you provide proof of ownership

Matt Scout The Scouting Dcon /

Hmmm...all I have is a lined paper bill of sale...well, the worst they can do is say no :-P

a honda dealer can make a key all you have to do is give them the VIN number

right

lee's anus is leefungchowOG /

sweet

but be advised these are motorcycles in most states, getting a title may be lots of work

yeah its like a motor cycle registration wise but i know some motor bike guys around here who deal with no title bikes all the time so I hope it won't be too hard to get her on the road. I had a 72 CB 450 a year ago that was a breeze to get thru the dmv, and only $100 insurance a yr.

so check the points and cross my fingers I she lives!!

there is no key but I was reading the service manual and should be able to hardwire it on red to black bam done. I already ordered a new ignition and key.

lol i just walked in paid up and got an ugly orange sticker for my c70

so i have one of these ugly bitches in my garage (its my neighbors bike and its damn near mint) and since bret had mentioned points, maybe i can figure out why this piece of lame shit in my garage won't start. i seriosly rebuilt the carb on this thing and it has fuel flow, but no action, its a honda passport, you should be able to put pepsi in the gas tank it should run but not for me, im sooooo pissed at this thing, i hate it and don't even want to work on it it sucks so bad. fuck honda imo.

On that note...

I had one of these given to me as well, along with an express 2. The c70 runs like a clock, but has transmission issues. She goes into 1st nicely, but won't shift out and is hard as hell to get back into neutral. I looks like the pedal shaft was bent on one of many hard dumps.

Any advice on c70 transmissions?

c70 tranny is simple you can replace the gearset with any other honda 50-70 gearset

mine would shift but wouldnt go so i tore it down and found a couple broken gears so i used the gearset from an SL70 dirtbike and it works fine

O/T Honda passport c70 restoration

How does someone get a free bike in San Fran? All the free shit must be there. Good luck with it. www.dratv.com is a great source for parts

Any idea where I could find a set of gears? I've looked around the internets and have yet to stumble on a store that has them. Dealer part? Or should I start junk yard hunting?

creature cub scouts ftw!

dratv.com has a lot of parts

also e, i have the haynes guide if you want to check it out

i loves my passport for realz

c70 aka honda cub

you got yourself the best motorbike ever made there are many variations of the honda cub it is the oldest motorbike still in production also the most sold ever (over 50 million)....been made since the late 50's or early 60's and the cub has gone thru many updates but is more or less the same bike. It broke the US market and got honda where they are today..remember the old commercial "you meet the nicest people on a honda"

It is technically a scooter not a motorcycle...I guess legally speaking in CA it is a motordriven cycle.

If you have problems with it call Battlescooter in Sunnyvale. They are the ones that specializes in Japanese scooter and more specifically Honda scooters and motorcycles. Can get you parts for it if you need as well.

Re: c70 aka honda cub

lol @ taking it to a mechanic, we creatures over here

I have a service manual and the original owners manual for these bikes in PDF form. Included are simple adjustment instructions for the clutch. I can e-mail the files to you if you like. The clutch does need adjustment occasionally, and it can take a few tries to get it right.

-Sean

Oh ya- just to let everyone know, I paid sum total $300 for my Hondas. The yellow one was given to me by a friend in SF and I bought the blue one from some folks in Napa. Both run very well.

1210725051_both1.jpg

These look eerily similar to this 1966 Yamaha Newport that I have had an impossible time tracking down info on, Ya think they may be similar engine wise since they are both Japanese?

well wen I got into the carb it was a mess, everything was clogged so I went ahead and ordered a new one after spending 3 hours trying to clean the original pilot jet, Even a single strand of brake cable was too think to fit thru a 35 jet argh!!

I felt like I was cleaning my 1st gurtner all over again but getting even worse results haha. I can't believe this think has a 13mm carb!

Well it had spark even with a dead corroded battery, still waiting on the batt. to come in and now a carb. at least they are only like $45.

does anyone know if this bike will start w/o a batt? Some rando cruzed by on a dirt bike offering to buy it from me while I was working on it and said he worked on alot of them and they won't start w/o a good batt. But it did have spark so It confuses me.

Just going on the picture, the motors don't look similar at all. maybe post some close-ups of the motor and carb...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account