No Country For Old Men-Style...

You know how in old cop shows they always hide a tracking device on the dude's car or whatever? Well I was thinking about getting something like that for my moped and then it hit me:

I'm not sure that's a real thing. Has anyone here witnessed first-hand the use of some such homing beacon that beeps faster or louder the nearer you get to the device?

I live in a relatively small town but idiots still jack your shit all the time, if i could just cruise around town for an hour with some little beeping box I know i'd be able to track down a would-be thief.

If the cops in my town don't even bother looking for a theif when someone breaks into the cafe where I work and steals a cash register full of money, I SERIOUSLY doubt any cops anywhere would be putting out an APB for a Puch Maxi. That fact in conjunction with the fact that most recovered moped stories include some relish in having taken the law into one's own hands, I don't get why nobody suggests this whenever the whole "sign-up-for-another-cell-phone-contract-and-hide-a-gps-enabled-handset- somewhere-on-your-ped-and-then-have-the-cops-track-it-for-you" pipe dream gets posted.

Anyway, i've got this cheap iTrip style FM transmitter, and the gears are turning... It's got a range of 20 or 30 feet, powerful enough i could pick it up from the street, weak enough to pinpoint a specific house. I'm gonna do some research and expiriments and post more when I have a breakthrough.

Re: No Country For Old Men-Style...

Perfekt Timing Angel /

http://lojack.com/low-jack.html

It would be awesome if someone put this on their moped.

Most folks would agree, that's a bit of overkill (not that overkill modifications aren't popular in the moped community) because of the monthly fees and high power consumption.

my friend has a fancy snowboarding jacket that has some kind of passive radio beacon sewn into the sleeve, in case you get buried in an avalanche or whatever. It's about the size of a usb flash drive, if you could figure out a way to track that thing yourself, you could just drop it into the tube frame and no thief would suspect a thing.

well in that case avalanche beacons find eachother. They are not cheap but if you could condense one of them to hide on your bike you could use the other to locate the hidden beacon.

okay i think i'm on to something...

i really should be going to bed but now I'm obsessed with a cost-effective, DIY, "leave the cops out of it" solution.

I've found some model rocketry websites that have plans for building low-power radio beacons for tracking down wayward rockets. apparently it can be built from Radio Shack stock and costs under $20.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

I thought you were just going to kill people with an air compressor until they told you where your ped is...but yeah, a gps beepy thing will work too.

GPS? Galileo Positioning System? GLONASS? COMPASS navigation system? IRNSS?

The beeping technology of the 1970's is not in any way effective compared to the Global Navigation Satellite Systems.

Edward Richardson /

The GPS Navigation system in the Limo I drive requires that it be outdoors for a position lock, which could be an issue to consider.

the

'rocket hunter' is a simple little radio transmitter that sends out a peroidic beeping on a certain RF band, you wander around and listen as it gets louder. they dont really work over a mile though, and they would probably get smoked by buildings and crap in the city.

i've put some thought into this too,. and up untill recently i just rode shitty peds nobody in their right mind would steal. i'm getting a little more freaked about it now.

This could get exciting. Let us know what you do.

I really think that the avalanche beacon would work. Of course you would have to somehow minimize it. You would have limited time with just battery power, could you somehow wire it to the magneto? But then you could only find it if it were running. All you electrical guys here is a project for you. Could make you some loot.

Huh? That's museum type stuff. The simple answer is to not let your moped get stolen in the first place, and all that takes is some common sense, which is free.

So if you do all you can and your ped still gets booted you wouldn't want a way to find it? I think we are on to something here. We just need an electrical mastermind to figure out how to do it. I am telling you this is the ticket.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

How much are you willing to spend to safe guard a moped that may be worth several hundred dollars? Jim

it needs to have a self contained kinetic powered battery. It needs to be water proof. It could be mounted underneath the fenders (rear or front). It bouncing around charges the battery. You need to set it up so it can send AND receive signal. Use the chrome fender as the antenna (good coverage area really). Have it so it detects a very, very long signal like from a phone on a certain frequency, and when it hears that signal, it begins sending out it's beacon signal. Have it send on 3 different frequencies. One frequency sends for like 7- 15 mile distance, that will let you know if you are getting close. once you flip to the other frequency and hear it, you know your within 3-6 miles of it. and if you can hear it on the last frequency, you are within 1 mile of it. This could work! The only thing is with a kinetic battery system, you would HAVE to ride your bike atlest once a week for it to charge. The battery should be good for about 1-2 weeks fully charged with ought transmitting. I think this type of system could work.

Vimy Ridgeway /

Cyber, what about a dual-power system, solar, with backup from a 1.5 volt button battery, like they have in those calculators. Cheap, light, long-lasting. Could you not set it up to transmit to a GPS unit? You could then always leave it on, and the solar would usually be running it. If the ped was stolen, couldn't you track it on map softrware, either on a handheld GPS or one your computer? Some transportation companies use them to time tractor trailer shipments more efficiently, and to find the trailers if they get highjacked.

So I think we can all agree on some basic principles behind this project:

- most police don't take moped owners seriously, and telling them you've installed a high-tech tracking device on a moped would probably only make things worse, so any kind of tracking device should be something you could track yourself.

- GPS or any other sattelite system is too expensive to make it worth putting on anything less than a collector's item.

- the homing device should have it's own power source, since the primary use for this is for vehicles to small/simple to have onboard power (although possibly using the magneto to charge the power source)

- problems with rf trackers would include interference from buildings as well as other radio signals, and a limited range of operation (although the limited speed at which one could steal a bicycle or moped would make them idea for radio tracking as opposed to more powerful GPS)

- unlike lojack or onstar, what bike owners need is a simple concealable device that would afford us a modest window of time in which we could track down our bike and get it back, either by reporting to the police, or more likely, just taking it back.

I had the idea to build a tampon-sized rocket radio that ran on a AA or AAA battery, and you could hide it in the tubes of your handlebars, take it out and replace the batteries ever few weeks or so, or have some way of discreetly switching it on when you park.

$80 for a 600' range. loc8or break>

most anything more powerful probably needs an fcc approval.

oh snap! has anyone actually used this product? I'm thinking you could disable the beeping on the homing device (since that would be the thief's cue to smash the little beeping thing), and it looks small enough you could drop it down into the tube frame or bury it in the seat cushion... I don't know about anyone else's experiences, but all of my theft experiences ain't exactly Ocean's Eleven caliber heists, if you find your property it's like down the block in some punk kid's garage. I'd guess 600 ft. is plenty operating range for the size my neigborhood.

Vimy Ridgeway /

Yeah, as preventive medicine, it might work. As soon as the bike is moved ten feet, the buzzer inside the handlebars goes off. Might be enough to discourage the would-be thief.

as far as preventative measures, you could just get one of those motion-sensing doorknob sirens and lock it to your handlebars.

I like the idea of putting it in the handle bars. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to wire something from the magneto for chargeable power. Just dril a hole in the lowest part of the neck and take the wire down the underside of the frame. Keep going guys we will figure this out.

what about a nice looking sticker that says "GPS Locater on this bike" - as a theft deterrent. If i was a thief i'd be sketched out if i saw that. most thieves aren't smart and look for the easy targets. i dunno im tired.

They make alot of this kind of thing for training field dogs.

Tracker makes a radio system for $499 that is good for up to 12 miles.

<url>http://www.gundogsupply.com/trclsulicobi.html<url>;

Innotek does a similar one that is good for about 7 miles.

$599 with two transmitters that work on 4 different channels.

http://uniquedistributors.com/premtracsys.html:url

Garmin makes a GPS unit that is a transmitter and hand held GPS unit/ reciever. $599 for the combo and $199 for the transmitter if you already have a GPS unit that would work.

http://uniquedistributors.com/gagpsas220co.html:url

I say, just badly hurt anyone that touchs a moped that doesn't belong to them. If mopeders get a reputation as a group of fucking whack jobs that will put you in the hospital for a 300 dollar item, they might just go steal from wal-mart instead.

Jim had a solid sounding point in here somewhere:

_How much are you willing to spend to safe guard a moped that may be worth several hundred dollars?_

Well, not much. But, how much would you be willing to pay to locate the person who stole your moped after all of your other security precautions failed?

I don't want to say that information is priceless, but I think it's probably worth a good bit more than even a particularly-favored, used moped.

Oh, and one other thing too off-topic to be made up: the Native American tribes found by colonists had occasional cross-gender members (men or women who considered themselves both men and women).

Often, these individuals were warriors, and one of them had the greatest "Indian name" ever, a lyrical sound that I can't pronounce that translates to "It finds them and it kills them."

Today, his or her name could have been: "It uses a radio beacon to locate them and it kills them."

"_Jim had a solid sounding point in here somewhere:

How much are you willing to spend to safe guard a moped that may be worth several hundred dollars?

Well, not much. But, how much would you be willing to pay to locate the person who stole your moped after all of your other security precautions failed?

I don

... i also like the idea of just killing people with an air compressor. Does anyone know where I could get a decent Prince Valiant wig?

This is a bit fanciful but how about a small bomb inside the seat that if you don't deactivate with a key upon starting it goes off.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account