Is this a good magnum setup? help me tweak!

Hows this setup sound?

New 50 cc kit with bigger ports

high comp head

19 mm dellorto PHBG carb (should i get spigot style or clamp on?)

Malossi air filter

What exhaust will fit a magnum without modification? Or is the modification worth it/how hard is it?

And this is all bolted up to a ZA50 2 speed bottom end.

Anything else you can suggest, other than a bigger kit :p ?

Re: Is this a good magnum setup? help me tweak!

yeah, i guess a bigger kit

what kinda kit are you going to get thats a 50cc that you couldnt spot for the 70cc tccd?

your style of carb will depend on your manifiold.

Im not saying it wont work, but thats allotta carb for a 50cc.

There are exprerienced tuners out there that could make that setup work, but i bet it would be easier for you and i to use a tccd 70cc kit and the 21mm intake

also, any performance exhuast will fit a magnum once you take off the slant port head and put your kit on.

Thats kinda whats got me wondering. A magnum cylinder is a pretty good head. With a little porting i dont see it being to far off from the tccd 50cc ( maybe you found a source of 50cc kits but all i know of is the tccd ones im sure there are otheres in europe )

well, this is the kit i was wanting.

"link text" :http://www.1977mopeds.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_28&products_id=170

im wanting to keep it 50cc just for symbolic purposes and i also want to take it easy on the 2 speed gearbox. i want to make something very reliable that i can ride long distances.

so should i go for the 18 mm PHGB?

"link text" :http://www.dellortodirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_1_13&products_id=93

what kind of intake should i get for that and where can i get it?

i guess i might get a proma gp, then.

anyone else have any idea to add?

thanks alot guys. im really looking forward to setting this up!

sorry im playin around till i fig how to link text lol

http://www.1977mopeds.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_28&products_id=170

that always works

lol.

so, should i do the 18?

that looks pretty close to a magnum top end performance wise, but i cannot see it and hold it and compare.

if i was gonna run that id run a delorto 16mm carb, def enought for that little guy.

the advantages to that are, its a new cylinder, its made by puch, and its got the flat exhuast ports so you can run a reg pipe.

I still think for a first time tuner a 19.5 is to big

the 16mm is a simpler setup as well.

Yeah, alright then. I guess i'll get a 16.16 for it. those only have a main jet right? i know the PHGB's have 3 jets, but im not sure about the sha's.

so, will i need a different intake for that to fit the engine?

also, i know what port matching is, and what its for, but what exactly would i be opening up? i know you have to match it to the head gasket, etc, or something like that. please xplain, i want to learn.

thanks!

If you really want to use this kit. Then I suggest you get the cylinder first. Then measure the intake port window, where it exits on the piston side, not where the manifold bolts on. Calculate its area. And just see what carb would be 85% of that area. Round up to an easily gotten carb size. Then buy your carb and intake.

Ok, i'll try that. do you guys recomment opening the intake port? or is that probably a bad idea?

I would port match it to your manifold. But wouldn't suggest that you mess with the port window itself.

So, how exactly would i do that then? where would i be removing material from?

Well its not clear if you need to do it until you have the manifold. But basically your just matching the gasket to your intake manifold, and then matching the opening of the port on the cylinder to match the gasket and hence the manifold.

ok, i knew that people matched the case to a cyylinder kit.

like this

so, just like that , except on the intake port. just widening it at the opening so it lets air in more smoothly?

also, ive read that you should smooth out the intake port, then roughen it with sandpaper. then you should smooth and polish the exhaust port. is that true?

dont kit a za50. it will eat itself alive.

Please, lets not start a ZA50 debate today. There are plenty of kitted ZA50's out there without problems.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account