can you put a moped on a roof mounted bike rack???

I was wondering how unrealistic the Idea of putting my Tomos Targa lx on a roof rack for a bike, on my car. or does something exist for attaching a moped to a car other then "throw it in the back" because it does not fit into my car. but I would like to bring it to car shows (and my bike will match my car). and be able to drive it around. I was wondering if it would be possible to attach it to a bike rack that goes on the roof. or see what some of you guys have done for transporting your mopeds. if someone has found a brand of roof rack that can take the weight then I would love to know. thanks guys.

car in question:

Re: can you put a moped on a roof mounted bike rac

oops

-Unholysmokers - Chad Ferguson /

You're joking, right?

Have you ever eaten paint chips?

this has you're doing it wrong written all over it.

ok jeeze..... thats why I'm asking. I've never owned a bike rack before.I know nothing about them. so I figured I'd ask. I know I see people all the time with at least 4 bikes on them. so why would it be so crazy? I know my moped is not as heavy as 4 full sized bikes. and I understand that its one piece. so its different when the weight is spread between 4 objects. but the moped is less weight then most passengers. Just trying to get some ideas of how to transport this thing. thanks for the help...I guess.

Can you get a hitch put on that car? Then you could use one of the hitch shelves. I've seen Corvettes with hitches - why not yours?

Let's just pretend these were mountain bikes....I would guess a standard road bike weights less than 20 pounds. Even at 100 pounds they weigh less than your moped. And you are right, it is different when the weight is spread out.

Basically, it is just a ridiculous idea. ESPECIALLY with that car. Why the hell would you even consider it with a car like that. Maybe if you had a station wagon or something....MAYBE. It would still be totally ridiculous and dangerous though.

You can always get a hitch for your car and get one of these http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcycle-carrier-sale.htm

I have no idea if that is a good brand, it's just the first thing that popped up on google.

Wow, the first line of what I said got all messed up. I mean to say road bike first...and weighs. Bah.

it can be done

yes...

1210831296_0428081400.jpg

just ghost ride it from your car.

I wouldn't even DREAM of putting a moped, let alone a rack, on top of that nice VW.

My friend Adam had this amazing Pontiac Le Mans for a minute. It had a crazy ramp equiped roof rack that someone welded up. The sole purpose of the rack was to move Vespas from point A to point B. Yes, full sized metal scooters. Crazy as balls, but kind of awesome. I don't think he could go over 45mph without the whole car shaking.

damn....i would kill for that scirocco.

it's been done, but I would'nt recommend it on your nice ride.

get a hidden hitch and pull a small trailer.

I think something like this would be cool to haul your custom shit around to rallies and camp in.

its no big deal. i got my vespa si home on a roof rack on a 1981 rabbit. and the motobecane d52 i used to have came home on a 98 golf. both on yakima racks. just be careful getting them up there. the d52 tipped when we were putting it up, and it dented the roof of the golf pretty easy.

yay people who take some risks around here! ok cool. thanks to the people who actually answered my questions. I'm still not sure about this Idea. but a lot a research would be done before I even attempt it. I like the hitch idea because it seems much more practical. and easier to load the bike. but I don't know if I can pull off a hitch on that car. its very very low. I'll have to look into that. but damned if a moped on a roof rack doesn't look cool. thanks for the comments. and answers.

I centered my rack on the load bars. I Used ratchet straps from the handle bars down to the end of the bars to hold it upright. I also used another strap in the rear to counter the forward pull of the bars to end strap. I drove From Kalamazoo, MI, to Grand Rapids, About an hour drive. Doing 70 the whole time. It was a bit nerve wrecking, but she is home now.

no groms no blasters /

I thought all passenger cars with roofs had rollover protection built in. If so, wouldn't the roof be able to support the weight of the car?

Its is a vw... those germans know how to make things structurally sound... too bad they cant do the same with the electronics... anyway, do it up.

Well, the convertible top on my Saab 900 can support 4000lbs, I've hauled canoes with it. Targa LX is where I think the problem exists. A solex, Yamahopper, Fa50, or Express would work very well this way I think as they are all small and light. I hauled a Derbi Variant (heavy and huge) from FL to MI with a Saturn SL. I removed the engine and threw it in a gym bag, the wheels came off and went in a suitcase. This left me with a pretty empty frame that didn't weigh very much. I hung that from one of those bike carriers that strap to the trunk, they should also work with a fast-back. This worked extremely well though it took an hour to disassemble and another to re-assemble. Packing up the wheels and engine in luggage kept my trunk nice. I am assuming that your rear seats fold down, at this point you could probably slip the frame into a large duffel bag (military surplus) Then put the 3 pieces into your car. This would be worth the effort for a weekend of riding but for a couple hours of cruising probably not.

i think you just want to show off your car. i like your car, but be realistic... get a trailer. otherwise, i will follow you and scoop up your fancy targa when it tears sheet metal and falls off.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account