Re: Fastest Stock Moped Ever Made

Overpriced Parts /

I third Morini engine powered bikes,

Late 70s I bought a brand new Italavo moped with a Morini engine, basically I just popped out the two restrictor plugs in the air cleaner and it went 40mph. Did the same to my friends pacer, we had the fastest mopeds in the neighborhood Beating local Mobys Garrelli‘s, Tomos and Freespirits

Some Derbis if you remove the restrictor in the exhaust and Rejet the 12.12 they’ll go 40 easy

Safaris remove the plugs in the air cleaner and tune/remove supertrap exhaust disks and those bikes go 40 easy too.

I'd second the carabela. The beat to crap motomatic I had did about 35 stock, and 43 with a mild pipe and a bored out sha.

And that was after it sat for 20+ years. Imagine having one fresh out of the crate.

I disagree with the morini powered bikes. My cuyuna scorpion did 30 on a good day with the mo2. Same with a pacer supersport I rode. No guts, no power.

Overpriced Parts /

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'd second the carabela. The beat to crap motomatic I had did about 35

> stock, and 43 with a mild pipe and a bored out sha.

>

> And that was after it sat for 20+ years. Imagine having one fresh out of

> the crate.

>

> I disagree with the morini powered bikes. My cuyuna scorpion did 30 on a

> good day with the mo2. Same with a pacer supersport I rode. No guts, no

> power.

Not talking about the mo2 but the single speed engine that has way less moving parts and it also depends on what head design and rear sprocket you have on a Morini engine bike.

The ones that came with a high compression head that basically was just a chamber big enough for the spark plug to go in and if it came with a small rear sprocket mattered too. both the late 70s Italavo and the pacer step through came with the same set up,High compression head and small sprocket

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Remember. Stock.

Portuguese and Spanish sis Sachs and Puch legends were birthed there due to lack of EU laws.

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> I third Morini engine powered bikes,

>

> Late 70s I bought a brand new Italavo moped with a Morini engine,

> basically I just popped out the two restrictor plugs in the air cleaner

> and it went 40mph. Did the same to my friends pacer, we had the fastest

> mopeds in the neighborhood Beating local Mobys Garrelli‘s, Tomos and

> Freespirits

>

> Some Derbis if you remove the restrictor in the exhaust and Rejet the

> 12.12 they’ll go 40 easy

>

> Safaris remove the plugs in the air cleaner and tune/remove supertrap

> exhaust disks and those bikes go 40 easy too.

I owned a new pacer ss in 1980. Was pulled over more than once for going over 40mph. It was stock and would out run any other ped on top end.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Monza cobras...

It might have had a alpine climber e50 and was stock wheel sprocket and drive sprocket.

I THINK a Raleigh RM5 Supermatic was rated at 40MPH. I would have to re-check a manual or some dealer brochures.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Board track and proto mopeds aside...

It is hard to discern the line. I mean you could have a mtd you cobbled together added pedals lawnmower Sears minibike you put 16s on or 18s

New Jersey Tomos is the fastest stock bike

♣Slew Foot♣ /

All mopeds gain 5 mph in NJ and sections of PA due to avg altitude temp and humidity. Add the flatness of it. PA is full of hills so the effect isn't as profound. A stock a3 tinkered with ie carb and pipe could hit 45.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

So a Puch legend would do 50.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

This is a trick question because before around 1965 there were no speed restrictions on mopeds, so there were numerous 45-50mph versions out there like my Moby D50R.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Tomos d9 125 mph.

5 June 1943 the BMA (bicyclettes a moteur auxilliare) class of cycles were split into cyclomoteurs (less than 50 cc) and velomoteurs (50cc to 125cc)

The speed restrictions were enacted on 1 November 1963 for cyclomoteur class bikes in France.

> Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. Wrote:

> This is a trick question because before around 1965 there were no speed

> restrictions on mopeds, so there were numerous 45-50mph versions out

> there like my Moby D50R.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account