NC50 Express Broken Spokes

I have a 1983 Honda Express that I bought in June. Last month I had to replace several Spokes on the rear wheel. Now today, I notice I have 2 more broken spokes on the same wheel. Im starting to think I might be to heavy for my little Honda. I weigh 210. Could this be the problem? Is my ass to fat for a moped?

Re: NC50 Express Broken Spokes

Look at the vin plate, i think it says max. capacity is like 170lbs.

I weigh in at about 175-180 and I'm busting spokes on mine to; but mine are due to an excessive amount of power, not my fat ass.

I have a friend that rides expresses a bunch he's pushing 220, he hasn't had a spoke problem but he's killed at least one 1st gear clutch on an 81.

geeze derek way to make the guy feel good lol jk

idk hardly anything yet since i just started but can you buy stonger rims that would be hareder to break?

just a suggestion

you frigging lightweights. im 310 and jump my express. havent broken a spoke yet, make sure you go thru and tighten them all down.

NC50 Express Broken Spokes

Its common for these spokes to loosen up every now and then. retighten and ride again. Unfortunately your rim is missing too many spokes now. replace the spokes or the whole rim. You can check spoke tension by tapping the spokes with a wrench and listenimng for a flat sound. Tight spokes will ring better.

It's not your ass!

Sorry, but I had to say that.

Seriously, though, the weight limitation on an Express has nothing to do with the spoked wheels. The smaller wheels on the Express use the same diameter spokes as the bigger wheels on other bikes - this means that an Express wheel should actually be stronger than the larger one you'd find on a Puch of similar vintage.

Looking at my Express (which I ride just fine at 190 lbs) I can see that the single-sided rear axle support contributes part of the weight limit. The single main frame tube is actually very strong, but the head tube on the Express is a bit thinner and there is no triple tree. Finally, if someone was to weigh 300 pounds, the brakes on this machine probably wouldn't work at all.

Sorry I didn't mean to be jerk...

Try to find thicker spokes (industrial), lace the wheel looser, maybe put a fatter tire on.

Ok.... So I will rule out my weight. since Im less than 300 pounds and do not do any Jumping! Last month a orderd Spokes from the local Honda dealer, As for stronger indusrial spokes... Any recomendations on where to find them? and what are my options for replacing the stock Honda express tire with something fatter? Oh, and i forgot to mention that a couple days ago I totaly nailed the pot hole from hell on the way to work... Im sure this is when they broke.

"lace the wheel looser"

Exactly! Well, sorta...

Spokes can break for any number of reasons, but if you break spokes immediately after building a new wheel or replacing other spokes, your problem is probably spoke tension. Wildly different spoke tensions put strange stresses on the whole assembly - imagine it like a spoked wagon wheel on which one spoke is too long or too short.

I would suggest sticking with your existing wheels, buying some more replacement spokes, and then taking one extra step when you install them:

After you have installed replacement spokes, loosen all of them. You don't have to loosen them all the way, just to the sort of baseline condition that a newly-built wheel is in before you tension the spokes.

Once you have a loosely laced wheel, begin tensioning all of the spokes on the wheel - the result will be much more evenly tensioned than a wheel that just had a few replaced.

When you do this with a straight rim you shouldn't have to do much truing afterwards.

Spoked Wheel Theory

this post is just a rant on theory

Has anyone else read any of John Forester's articles about bicycle construction?

"link":http://www.johnforester.com/

In one, he explained how we first determined that bicycles "walk" on their spokes rather than "hang" from them.

Basically, when a wheel rotates along with your forward travel, one spoke is directly underneath the hub, and another is directly above it. Originally, we (yes, all of us) believed that this meant that the weight of the bicycle, on the hub, was suspended from the rim.

John Forester attached tension indicators to the spokes of various wheels, and found that the tension of the upper spokes - the ones generally believed to be supporting the weight of the bicycle - actually remained unchanged. Instead, the tension of the _bottom_ spokes, underneath the hub, decreased.

So, the weight put on a hub in a spoked wheel is actually supported by a decrease in tension along the lower run of spokes (instead of an increase in tension along the top of the rim). This tension is actually quite significant. If you were to remove the tension on a lower run of spokes (keep a bike perfectly still, and undo the spoke nipples along the bottom half of a wheel), the weight would indeed try to hang from the top of the rim. This would break some top spokes and bend the rim.

Spoked wheels are something that people invented without having any idea of how they really worked.

Uroš Dornik /

Hi,

does anyone know how much tension is best for 2,6 mm or 3 mm moped spokes on 19" wheel?

If testing with spoke tension meter.

> Uroš Dornik Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> does anyone know how much tension is best for 2,6 mm or 3 mm moped

> spokes on 19" wheel?

>

> If testing with spoke tension meter.

What does your manual say? also it's best to start a new tread rather then ad on a old one.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account