Re: California Registration, no paper work, plates...

That's correct. There is no expiration date.

Thomas Lennard /

Thanks Jake

Is that because it is a moped? And if it were a scooter or bigger bike then I would have then been given tags?

Yup. If it doesn't qualify as a moped, you have to register it as a motorcycle, or a motor-driven cycle if it's under 150ccs.

Then you get stickers and a yearly registration.

Mopeds just get the plate and lifetime registration.

If you ever sell it, make sure you include the signed over registration, or a bill of sale if you lose the paperwork, otherwise it's a big hassle to get it registered for the buyer.

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Mopeds just get the plate and lifetime registration.

>

I guess California figures Mopeds won't last much more than a year ???

I dunno, but the registration does. Sent in the forms for my carabela and got a letter back saying it was already registered to somebody.

The girl I got it from got it from her shop teacher in high school as a summer project. Someone donated it to the school. The girl is in her late 20's. So the bike is still registered to someone from over ten years ago.

But I just had to send in a statement of facts saying where I got it. I also sent this picture. My new plate is on the way.

IMG_20200519_171715.jpg

Dave Thacker /

Do you have to be a resident of California to get this magical lifetime plate and registration?

Technically, yes. Now, if a person happened to have a friend or an address in ca they could use, they could hypothetically have the registration and plate sent there, and the remailed to wherever they wanted, but only some unscrupulous person would consider breaking the law like that, and I'm definitely not recommending anyone try such a dishonest thing.

no groms no blasters /

you don't have to be a resident of californa.

you just have to have an address in california where the moped lives.

then you just tell the dmv your mailing/residence address.

it's your state that cares whether or not you're paying taxes to fund roads there, not California.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account