Re: California Registration, no paper work, plates

A long time ago the DMV started asking for engine numbers on motorcycle registrations because a lot of bikes were stolen just for the engines. Then when they stopped a low-life riding a beater with a new engine there was no way to track it.

First let me say that this forum has offered a great amount of helpful information. That being said; there's seems to be conflicting information in this forum, regarding the REG230 form.

If attempting to register a moped and assuming that it may have already been registered, but i do not have the previous registration (or plates) or any contact with said person. Which sections of the form should I fill out? Should I fill out sections A & D only? Or, should I fill out sections B & D only. Or, should I fill out sections C & D only. The top of the REG230 form ask you to do one of each of these options, but the form is confusing on which should be done.

Could someone please clarify this for me? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mickey Bill Moore /

woodlum,

first thing you need to do is find out if it has been registered before which you can do by attempting to send it in with sections A & D filled out

if the bike has already been registered, according to section C the 230 form you need to fill out sections B, C, & D:

"The ID Card is the transfer document. If it is lost complete Section B, sign Release of Ownership section (SELLER Signs) and have the new owner(s) complete the information in this section and sign on new owner signature line."

in section B you need to mark both the "Substitute Plate" and "Duplicate ID Card" boxes and then mark the box for "Lost/Stolen"

in section C you'll need to have the person who sold it to you sign on the line titled "releasing signature of owner" (the one with the X on it), then you will print your name under "Registered Owner(s) (Last/First/Middle)" along with your address county city state and zip

and finally in section D you will sign on only the line titled "Signature of New Owner" (the first line with an X)

as long as the bike has been registered before and is not reported as stolen you will get a new ID card for you moped

hope that helps

Mickey Bill Moore /

sorry i meant to refer to burscha, not woodlum

read the past posts incorrectly

I am filling out sections B,C & D. Do I attach only the 19 dollars? Do I pay 19+19 because I am doing a transfer of ownership & requesting new plates?

^bump

Hepatitis J [OFMC] /

im not entirely sure but i think transfer of ownership gets you plates. i sent in 38 bones when i registered my bike and i got a $19 check in the mail from the dmv.

no groms no blasters /

Have you noticed how nobody at the DMV knows anything about mopeds or Reg 230? I like the idea that, out of thousands of employees, there's only one old man hidden away someplace who knows how to do mopeds. He sits in a cubicle in a corner in a dark room somewhere surrounded by stacks of crates of moped license plates left over from 1981.

HA! thanks guys

Favorite advice on this thread.....

spacerockkid: "if you see a cop PEDAL!!! you want to show the cops that you are a MOPED and not a small motorcycle" :)

-Honest- so what's the deal with Insurance in Cali....do you need it for a ped?

Hey thanks for the info...quick question I just bought a 78 vespa from a swap meet ...it has original florida advertisment sign where the plate goes you know like when you buy a car from dealer in 1978 it also has (florida riva vespa) dealer sticker on the frame..Im in Cali...what would you guys do as far as filling out the form..should i treat this as transfer?

P.S. why not fill out the whole form...what happens if its never been registered?

what a pain in the ass. in MA all you need is bill of sale to register, doesn't have to be from the last person who registered it.

One last thing according to this post the person selling dosnt fill out his or her address anywhere on the form?

no groms no blasters /

wrong state, fuckface.

Didja just call me a fuckityface!

Jbone, is this a vespa scooter??? if it doesn't have pedals, then it's not a Moped in California.

no groms no blasters /

no, I called the guy from massachusetts a fuckface

Re: California Registration, no paper work, plates...

Orin Alexander /

Would you be able to use this identification card in another state to get a title reissued?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

yes. at least for some states anyway. when i first moved to ca, some washington friends of mine would reg their bikes through my new address and i would send their plates and paperwork up. some transferred them to wa reg, others just rocked the ca plates.

I think it depends whom at the DMV opens your envelope with the paperwork and check. For one of mine I needed a chp guy to stop by my house to verify the vin plus I needed the bill of sale connecting all previous owners. So again don't take anything written above as absolute truth because its kind of capricious.

14th amendment the other states have to honor each others laws. If you title a vehicle in one state it is valid in another state just like drivers licenses and crap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Protection_Clause

Aaron Lusteg /

Does anyone know if this article still applies to California laws today? Im hoping not much has changed because I might be in the same situation. Thanks in advance for a response!

^^ Did you get a bill of sale from the person you bought it from?

Send that in with your Reg230 and you SHOULD be fine.

I've sent in reg230s without a bill of sale before and turned out okay.

DO NOT go to the DMV. They'll want to inspect it, and do all this other crap that isnt procedure if they don't know what a moped is.

If anything you can get a statement of facts and bill of sale that the buyer bought it used from another person, and you bought it from him. That should clear you and allow you to register if its not stolen.

If it is stolen and you take it to the DMV, good luck. you'll be asked to step into a room, and questioned about how you received stolen property(someone told me the story recently) and they'll take the bike.

snail-mail the reg230 and see what happens! more paperwork the better.

Reg 230 and a check made out for $21 (the fee just went up) and you should be golden, pony boy.

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Where does everyone see that the CA fee went up? I keep looking on the CA DMV site and all I see is 19$.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/fees/mopeds.htm

California is not really good on updating stuff. I sent them $24 and I think it's 22$? I'll look later .... In any case I got my plate in less then 1 week no joke..... They used the extra $$ to rush mail it to me ... Hey I'm not complaining .... Haha

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Well I just sent them 19$ a few weeks ago and I see that they deposited it. Let's see if I get a plate.

It was $20 stated on the registration

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Got the plate today. Guess 19$ still works!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account