Re: California Registration, no paper work, plates...

I am fully reporting both of you.

I feel it's my duty.

Can anyone give some guidance? Ive bought a moped off a friend who was gifted it by a random family who was cleaning out their garage. I have no clue who they are.

Anyways, it doesn't have free spinning pedals but does have a California "C0_____" license plate.

What should I fill out on the 230 form? If I apply for the duplicate ID card, will it be in my name or whoever registered it and got the plates?

Thank you. you are THEE man.

Which sections did you fill out? Sections A and D for new application, substitute card/plate, or transfer ownership? I'm about to buy a moped with no paperwork from a shop that closed and they kept the bike who it belonged to because the customer never picked it up. (stolen maybe? idk) Could I still fill the form with this shop mechanic or do you think I'll have to contact the original owner? Thanks for your time!

Just do it as a bike that has never been registerd in the state. That is where you start. Look here.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/California_Moped_registration_for_dummies

When I get a bike with no plate or papers I fill out form 230 then go to the DMV. After they are done sctatching their heads they tell me I have to do it through the mail.

I tell them that I bought it at a swapmeet and needed to know if it was in the computer,

When they say no, your golden to just do the mail in process.

Or you can roll the dice and send it right off in the mail but if it turns up stinky then you have your 22.00 floating in space and they will not send it back. (edited)

Princess Rapunzel /

It's been about 3 months since I've sent off my check and 230 form. Nothing. Nada.

Last mail dmv took me months too. I always make a photocopy

Of the previous registration if I am mailing it in. I'm not sure how useful that would be but I assume it would.

Princess Rapunzel /

Yeah, I've got a photocopy of mine, but I'm just hoping I didn't send too little money in. I sent in $19, which is what the DMV site told me the fee for new reggo would be, so fuck them if they don't take it.

It's never been registered in California either, so it's not a problem there...

I bought a bike 3 years ago. The previous owner gave me the original registration papers but didn't fill in the sold date, he just signed it. I've been riding it around like that all these years but finally decided I wanted to get a new plate for it because the one it came with is kinda janky. So I mailed in the form and a $19 check just like usual. This time though I also checked the box that said the plates were damaged/destroyed/lost. I was hoping the $19 would cover the registration and replacement plates since it does when you mark the "never registered in the state of CA box". Well two weeks later and I only got the registration paper back. I called the DMV's 1-800 number and they said I could just go into my local office as all offices in CA have moped plates. Off I went after work on Friday. The clerk didn't know about the moped plates being on hand, but she asked her supervisor who affirmed they had them "in the lock box". She demanded I fill out another form for lost plates and pay another $20. I told her WTF. She didn't care. I then paid the man and got my new plate which had a really old number which was cool. I think those plates have been sitting in the lock box for years.

TLDR? - You can pick up plates/register your moped in CA at ANY DMV office.

Carlos Spicy Wiener /

I dunno Kenny... I'm detecting bullshit.

You paid the $19 and then YOU paided another $20? That's sorta like getting blood from a stone. I find it hard to believe they got more money out of your cheap ass. Just saying... You're a tightwad...

Princess Rapunzel /

Ken Thomas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> TLDR? - You can pick up plates/register your moped

> in CA at ANY DMV office.

TLDR? - You CAN'T, retard.

Just because some person on the phone told you that you can doesn't mean it's true. I know because I tried.

Princess - Retard? That's pretty mature of you. Well they may not know they can, they may not realize they have the plates, but they can. Speak to a manager if they question it. They had no problem pulling up my registration, printing off a new paper and handing me new plates. Or mail it in if you can wait to get your plates. I had nothing better to do on a Friday than sit around with a 100 angry strangers.

Levi - I drink expensive beer. I'm not always cheap. :) PS: Wanna rebuild that ZA now that I have the crank back? *HUGS N KISSES*

Princess Rapunzel Wrote:

> Ken Thomas Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > TLDR? - You can pick up plates/register your

> moped

> > in CA at ANY DMV office.

>

>

> TLDR? - You CAN'T, retard.

>

> Just because some person on the phone told you

> that you can doesn't mean it's true. I know

> because I tried.

Princess Rapunzel /

Ken Thomas Wrote:

> Princess - Retard? That's pretty mature of you.

> Well they may not know they can, they may not

> realize they have the plates, but they can. Speak

> to a manager if they question it. They had no

> problem pulling up my registration, printing off a

> new paper and handing me new plates.

When I went there, the lady told me she had never seen that kind of registration before, then talked to the manager just to make sure and she said I had to mail it.

I guess I should go back and talk to the manager again, because every knows the DMV's really smart and you should totally believe everything they say. You just got lucky.

received my plate after 3 weeks..... I registered a yamaha lc50 champ as a moped :-) ...I know I know not exact a moped however close enough thanks all so much for all the info I dont think I would have ever registered it if it had not been for this amazing site...

Re: California Registration, no paper work, plates

FUCK THAT NOPED BUIsNEss I JUsT REGGED MY MB5 AND MY DT50w As Mopeds.

I bought a red maxi n in Ames, ia dude was cool about a month later he mailed me a plate now it's registered in CA with a forever tag I'm guessing. Don't need it in MO but it's neat.

UPDATE: for 2018

Sent Cali DMV an old ass WAMU check for $21 (Been Chase for years now!)

They processed it within a week... still took 2 weeks to get my plate.

OYA I didn't put down my drivers license info!

-Honest™

Elijah Sanford /

Is there anything i can do with a scratched out VIN? am i screwed?

Pics of your stolen bike?

Thank you for the heads up

Elija, post a couple pictures of your ped, we may be able to help you

JBots right!

I was helping this kid dope out his bike issues by Email. Today the cops showed up at my house asking questions ans flashing this mugshot.

I think the kid might be a crook.

Oh you're still here?

That's his mug shot while in a penitentiary? Is that guy casting for the part of James Dean in a remake? I didn't know they provided a makeup artist for those convicted.

Brian Skinner /

Just wanted to say thanks, and it still works--very happy :) Got this bad boy plated thanks to you!

IMG_4879.JPG

But...that’s not a moped...

Brian Skinner /

What would it be then....a Noped? Under 50cc (electric), 30mph +/-. Cali DMV says it's an electric bike/ Moped. Help a brother out :)

Captain Janeway /

> Brian Skinner Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> What would it be then....a Noped? Under 50cc (electric), 30mph +/-. Cali

> DMV says it's an electric bike/ Moped. Help a brother out :)

what did they charge you to call it an e-bike?

Oh ok, if it’s electric and under 30 than you can technically register it as a moped in CA (Thanks to Scoot in SF).

Thomas Lennard /

This is very helpful. I received the plates and paper but no little tags to go on the plates. Is that correct?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account