Rare? Malaguti Toptank

Just acquired it, I am pretty sure it is not even on the moped list under Moped Owners Directory, no pictures of it anywhere online. I'd like to know more about it, maybe someone has one? I don't even know what model it is, Road Pilot? All I know is that it has a Franco Morini engine labeled as a Malaguti engine, not sure if it's a one speed or two speed.

Re: Rare? Malaguti Toptank

Looks like the MO2 two-speed engine. Pretty rad bike though. Grats.

rock finally shredding pow /

i had one it was super fucked up. i guess the gears in the motor were all broken. i traded it to moped jay for a derbi ds50

i love how it looks and stuff, and its got a 2 speed malaguti. so tiny too. ill try and get a picture up later of the one i had. i never did find a picture of another one, well except this one. haha

folks probably can tell you about it on this forum

I had one that was missing a ton of parts. It never ran. I was never able to find a picture or another one either... It is good to see that there are more out there.

So I am assuming the model is "Pilot Road" or "Road Pilot"

If a Commuter or Commuter II were the other models, the name 'Pilot' would make sense. Please tell us if thsoe PILOT decals look original and are on both sides!

The Pilot decals are on both sides, they appear to go with the styling of the bike, so yes I think it is called a Malaguti Pilot.

I really miss when people used to post moped discoveries like this!

oh my god that thing is fucking amazing. i want that. i want that so bad. SO BAD. please.

I had one of those in the 80s. Morini Franco MO2 and she did 35 at least bone stock. Malaguti casts the engine side covers in some magnesium alloy, so they are a slightly different color if you look up close. You can speed it up even more by drilling out the intake a bit, and a pipe of course, but I would keep her stock, she is a rare and beautiful machine. Good luck with it.

Rare? Malaguti Toptank

derbeez ryderz /

o/t but salty where did you get that timing tool? i'm pretty sure only yamaha used those in the 70's and they're awesome.

Looks like a rebadged cosmo colt with a M02 instead of the M101.

I have two of the colts with the M101 on them.

I have the same bike (check out my profile). I have the original manual as well and the manual is from the "Malaguti Commuter" even though this model is a top tank Pilot. I had mine running yesterday but it needs some serious cleanout before I can see if the carbs are fouled and the plug needs replace. Mine only has 600 original miles though!

Good luck. Keep me posted on any hiccups you have come across!

well i guess i'll never be cool without a top tank, haha

Fish tits Krauthamer /

WAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAA

Çhåvëz • /

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Looks nice, I want the attached

malaguti.jpg

Barbara Rosyski /

Would love to get a copy of the manual or if you know where I can find a link online... been searching for weeks. Trying to get a 1978 up and running. Changed the spark, engine is not seized but it won’t kick over.... newly divorced and attempting my 2nd ever carb clean out. Manual would be great to help diagnose any other issues.

image.jpg

> Barbara Rosyski Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Would love to get a copy of the manual or if you know where I can find a

> link online... been searching for weeks. Trying to get a 1978 up and

> running. Changed the spark, engine is not seized but it won’t kick

> over.... newly divorced and attempting my 2nd ever carb clean out.

> Manual would be great to help diagnose any other issues.

Go to this site. https://www.thewanderingpacer.com/

look in the resources tab and you can find a manual. your motor is most likely the Franco Morini M02 engine.

> Barbara Rosyski Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Would love to get a copy of the manual or if you know where I can find a

> link online... been searching for weeks. Trying to get a 1978 up and

> running. Changed the spark, engine is not seized but it won’t kick

> over.... newly divorced and attempting my 2nd ever carb clean out.

> Manual would be great to help diagnose any other issues.

i start by finding spark. do you have spark? read freds guide in the wiki as well. spark, fuel flow, air flow.

GREAT bike! Get a coupla great mag wheels for it.

Barbara Rosyski /

Will do. Thanks.

Barbara Rosyski /

Thank you!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account