1978 Motobecane 7 Value

Hello. I was looking for a solid moped to putt around with and came across a local 1978 Motobecane 7 with 400 original miles. It appears to be in excellent condition and I was told that everything works. I believe it is the 25mph version. My question is, I know the 7 is not as popular as the 40/50 but for $250, would it be a good value and would it hold its value for the next year or two? Also, I may be interested in a slight performance increase say, 35mph or so. Could this be achieved by the carb replacement or the fast Moby piston? Thanks!

1285882362_1978motobecane71.jpg

Re: 1978 Motobecane 7 Value

Second pic.

1285882401_1978motobecane72.jpg

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

mopeds do not "hold value," especially not in the hand of those who don't know them well. to a select few, 7's are great. to everyone else they're garbage.

If it runs and rides I would pay $250 for it. you need title and plates where you live make sure it has them or offer lower$ if it does not. Motobecane model "7" are not garbage (sorry Rob) But as noted they are no 50v either. Check the tires carefully as they are an odd size and hard to replace. If it runs get it.

Thanks. That's understandable. What do you think would be a fair price?

It does run. It was my understanding that in Ohio, a bill of sale is sufficient to register and obtain plates.

All good then, I have a "7" (non running) for lack of time, I see your footboards are white? Mine are navy blue...hmmm does that denote the 25mph model? I think mine has mph listed on the id plate. I think these are very nice machines, very well built, you may need to replace the condensor at some point, a common Motobecane failure item. Handybikes/1977 mopeds carries many parts for the "7". Mine is in beautiful condition, looks like it was inside all it's life. 2,114 miles on it. If the one you want only has 400 miles on it and runs rides snap it up. Nerdzilla on here owns and races one, he can help you with speed upgrades if you feel you need them. The stock pre-mix ratio for these bikes is 32:1 or 4oz oil to 1 gallon of gasoline. Castrol 2t is an excellent choice for affordable but quality oil. Like all mopeds inspect the inside of the fuel tank for rust as this is bad for the carb. The stock petcock is kind of an oddball as well, see that it works/does not leak. These bikes were not built to haul ass, although they can be made to, they are however solid transportation. Check the tires carefully, they are a wierd size and somewhat hard to replace. Best of luck! I have a parts manual for this bike if you get it and need something would be happy to help you with any info. Also check out www.mabecanemobylette.com for all things Motobecane.

GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

i have had 2... still have one...all you could ever want in new old stock available @ handybikes.

250 sounds like a fair price.

ha. things have def changed on pricing in 10 years.

Model "7" don't hold a lot of value, being hard tail and all, and the engine is not like the standard av-7, one good pot-hole can really f you up...but I still have mine, it runs now...I could not see asking more than $400 for one and mine is titled and plated. They are fun run-around neighborhood vehicles, or camp-ground bikes.

yup! just meant for peds overall too. twice the price (from original post) is quite a jump.

Agreed, seen lots of 1k bikes that should be 5-600....oh well. They cost more now than new most of them, but they are "vintage" :D

Pushrod Fifty /

I wouldnt kick it out my bed.

> Pushrod Fifty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I wouldnt kick it out my bed.

I've slept next to my bike many times , but , never in bed . ;)

Ranger 7 are excellent bikes to tune with a goodly port job to get the revs up. If you shop a Pug bb-vct pulley in France you can throw on a variator and have a very spirited bike.

^ I wish I had the nerve/skill to try porting....I know my limits though, what does that pulley do for you? Would a 50v variator fit on the "7" I thought they would not...? This bike would be a blast with more power, I see about 27-28 wot on flats, it is a B cyl. Feels faster 'cuz bike is tiny. Have to be so careful of it, we have civic eating potholes around here, would destroy a "7". :/

Larry Picarello /

I was a Motobecane dealer.

The 7 was a hard sell, most people preferred the original full size frame.

I did like the simplicity of the 7.

^ I do too, they just seem so fragile...? Back in the day when life was slower, I'm sure they were fine, I love the lines of mine. If you go on you-tube and put in Motobecane 7 there is a short clip of mine running, the guy who looked her over made it and posted it here, he and his son were master Motobecane guys, even though they were borderline illiterate. They used to advertise on cl, I let them take the bike away in their van, it was not titled or plated at the time...I thought nothing of it, until I told my Dad, he asked what makes you think they will bring it back? Awkward pause....I had no idea! I got the bike for free though, so no loss if they did not...but the idea never occurred to me...they were cool, I paid the nominal charge they asked and still have the bike today. Moped and air cooled VW people are by far some of the coolest people I have ever met. I'm grateful for this hobby, it's fun and you can commute on it! :) There was a Motobecane dealership in the city I live in, and I never saw a "7" in it, never knew about them until '98 when I joined this site.(edited)

For the rest of the world, the Ranger 7 replaced the Cady (Mini-Moby in some markets) as Motobecane's light weight entry level moped. Because there was no Cady commercially imported into USA the dealerships seemed to be bit lost on how to bring attention of the right people to the cycle.

> Larry Picarello Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I was a Motobecane dealer.

>

> The 7 was a hard sell, most people preferred the original full size

> frame.

>

> I did like the simplicity of the 7.

Interesting, the one I have was sold at the dealership in my city, but I haunted that place as a kid and never saw one there.

Holy shit, I'm rich! :D my floor rests and the strips on the tank are blue, most I have seen are white, does the different color designate anything?

NICE... just not 1499$ (or 67$ a month x 24 month) worth of fun...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account