Punk Iberico 1980-1983 (Buscando En La Basura vol.3) Fucking insane punk

Re: 1980's Music Thread

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Bannan Split par Lio, 1980

Lio a few years later….

Accidents never happen, Blondie 1980:

They called her the Garbo (Greta Garbo) of PunK….

Here is your enlightenment

Okay, you asked for some enlightenment on 80’s music. In 1979 I was 13 years old. From my perspective the “New Wave” which included generally, New Wave, Punk, Rockabilly, Ska, Metal, Speed Metal, Hair bands, etc. and perhaps RAP was a musical and somewhat cultural “counter-revolution. ”

As Morrisey so eloquently put it later in the 80’s: “Burn down the Disco, Hang the blessed DJ, because the music that they constantly play, it says NOTHING to me about MY LIFE.” And much of the music of the 70’s truly did not say much to the young teens at the end of the decade.

The popular music of the time was often the complex musical virtuosity of Stadium Rock like Led Zep, Journey, R&B. Hedonism returned with a vengeance with the arrival of Disco in the late 1970’s but that was for adults. We were too young to get into the Discos, too unskilled to play Stadium Rock, etc.

We were born at the end of the conservative early and mid-1960s and the whole world had gone sideways since. Everything traditional was suspect including anyone over 30. We’d been constantly pumped full of guilt and social responsibility from early childhood by self-righteous preachers in purple socks and Birkenstocks who expected our generation so solve all the world’s problems.

We needed to breath, we needed a music that “moved” which was simpler and more fun, less political and actually playable by unskilled young teens. We wanted to be “cool” and “fashionable” again. As a result, many of us looked back for inspiration at simpler times, our parents’ generations, the late 50’s and early 60’s, the first youth driven musical revolution. We wore out our parents’ 45 records….

Though the roots of the New Wave go back to the mid 1970s it really exploded at the beginning of the 1980s……and we LOVED IT! By the end of the decade New Wave had burnt itself out and much of it degenerated into what we rebelled against…..

In any case, I count myself lucky to have been there in the early days….. Anyone else from early Gen X, please add your thoughts.

Early 80's Rockabilly:

Early 80's PuNk:

Early 80's New Wave:

Re: Here is your enlightenment

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

I turned 21 in 1981, drinking age, and was in a bar for all of the 80's. The good music didn't really stop until after 1992.

Nice vid, I remember that one. I think every epoch has it's good music but I agree it got a lot harder to find as the 90's wore on.

I actually really like Michèle's early stuff, but yes d'accord, a bit long in the tooth for 0zzy….:

Patrick Keaton /

By that quote of Morrisey sounds like a statement of a rich person who grew up in a gated community and had no interaction with the poor.

Disco may or may not have been for adults.I was in the forth grade,might have been before that,and was into disco.If you were too young to get into disco,that shows how mature you were at the time.

Overpriced Parts /

This thread crashes my iPhone

usually on the first page

Patrick Keaton /

Patrick Keaton /

In the early 1980s Kids into subculture in my area of So Cal (and most were not) tended to define themselves generally either Metal or New Wave/Punk/Rockabilly, etc and perhaps 5% at high school dressed the part. Some of us took it more seriously than others but it was all part of being young. Yet, there was always a lot of cross-over in listening tastes. Even what is now called "Classic Rock" from the 1970s was still widely listened to for example.

Here are some more samples of the early, mid and late 80s genres:

The Stadium Rock, complex guitar solos, etc never died after the 1970.... just got a whole lot faster and more agressive.

Speed Metal, Scorpons originally from 1982.

In the mid 1980's Glam Rock appeared and a lot of guys in I knew in bands played this stuff.

Glam Rock: Poison's Talk Dirty to Me 1986

RAP/HipHop: Push it Salt N Pepper 1987

Cross-over hit from the late 1980s. Played to death at the dance clubs...

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Did someone say dance?

Nice hits DHH, so you were in the clubs/bars through the 1980s, must have been fun. I had buddys that doored at local So Cal establishments so I went on occaision in the late 80s.

However, during the early 80's when I was too young to get into regular clubs there were these underground "traveling" clubs....usually set up by folks in their early 20s, invite only and always in a different local every time so the cops couldn't find us. Beer was cheap, music was usually more Rockabilly/New Wave/Punk etc and the girls came really dolled up in the 80s version of Mod/50s/PUnk decor.....it was like heaven for underage teens, LOL!

You'd hear stuff like this played by these folks or other kids like them:

(edited)

Patrick Keaton /

(edited)

Patrick Keaton /

(edited)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Can't have the 80's without Catwoman,

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

the 80's really was a great decade for music. the 60's and 70s' were not that long ago then. the birth and of rock n roll, pop, punk, metal, arena rock, etc.... classic rock artists like the stones, the who, pink floyd, led zeppelin were still relevant. you had huge groups like AC/DC, the eagles, talking heads, billy joel, Wings, rush, genesis, journey, foreigner, yes, reo speedwagon touring all over. it was diverse too. you had madonna, and jimmy buffett, and rick james, springsteen, the grateful dead, the police, prince.........

and then along came MTV. and i think that is what really helped put the 80's over the top. before mtv, you might not have ever seen an artist. and it gave rise to a whole new breed of pop star........tears for fears, the go-gos, soft cell, simple minds, men at work, a-ha, tommy tutone, dexys midnight runners. and all these artists put a ton of effort into their videos. pure pop at its finest. it gave them an identity. and it was so much fun.

you had casey's top 10 on tv, and solid gold every week.

movies too, helped a lot of artists/songs get airplay. breakfast club, and St elmos fire and others, had huge soundtracks.

this was before the internet, before youtube, before PC's really. before the voice, and america's next pop star, (or whatever its called). you could not just pull up a song whenever you wanted to. you had to listen to, and call, the radio station to request a song. , or make a mix tape, or buy the 45 or LP. CD's were brand new.........and not cheap. no MP3's or downloads.

just a great time for music. the artists put out full albums, not just 1 clip on youtube. they made crazy videos for Mtv. they toured all summer and sold out huge arenas. we did not choose our next pop star by voting on tv. they had to actually earn it in real life.

the 80's were a great decade for music for sure.

Nice summary :-)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

........................... and then there was this,

fallout Survivor /

Robert Palmer: Simply Irresistable and ....

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

im 300

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account