Re: Drip-fed waste oil heat

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

The pressure vessel holds 5 gallons of oil. I added a water separator with built in screen, and a cutoff solenoid to be controlled by a flame-out circuit.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm using the flue wrap to pe-heat the air now instead of using it to pre-heat the oil.

Quick connects on the burner assembly for both oil and air to make removal of the burner assembly much easier.

A few wraps in the oil line close to the stove with thoughts of heating the oil even more before finally entering the nozzle. Does it actually help? Who knows.

A shot of the pan. I haven't cleaned it in weeks.

image.jpg

I'll finish out the season with this setup, but hope to have a serious heat exchanger setup ready for next year as well as better insulation in the barn.

Trying to remember what the retention ring on the nozzle adaptor is from? Arcoliner? Yes better off with the old stuff w/less air. Coins to adjust ? That much of a draft? Nice.

The flame retention head was a cooling fan from an industrial shopvac motor that i cut the center out of and welded it to a friction-fit mount i made from a piece of steel tubing.

And yes, i've got plenty of draft and the doors of the potbelly don't seal very well as can be seen in the pics.

The adjustable draft on the burner tube assembly i made from a pair of junction box covers that i put a few too many holes in.

image.jpg

My Pop liked to cherry his pot belly w/coal. Warped the door too. Remember getting anthracite in burlap next town over. If you burn out that tube got a few carlin or beckett complete, one of which you can have for shipping, although yours look stronger.

Wow this is getting complicated! Like the shot of the pan there. Reading through this makes me wish I had a good use for a waste oil burner.

Score. A free 151,000 btu oil fired boiler with a beckett AFII burner and all of the boiler doodad accessories to make it work. i know they use beckett AF and AFG burners to do the conversions, so i don't know if this AFII is the same thing or not, so i've got some research to do.

I wanted to do forced air just for it's simplicity, but i'll check in to the boiler system to see if i'll go with it instead, but at least i've got a beckett to go either way with. I've got a few months to figure it out.

I had to remove some of the tin to hoist it off of my truck.

image.jpg

The bottom.

image.jpg

I

Looks like a Vaillent five section. Back hurts just looking. Like the warm air ideal better too. Good luck with that.

Yes, a very heavy vaillent. And yeah, i am a bit crazy and safety second motivated, but the idea of working around pressurized scalding hot water just ain't my thing. I don't feel that a couple radiators placed around a drafty old barn would be very effective either. Being able to direct warm air towards the area i'm working just makes more sense.

I like the idea of a cast iron burn chamber. It never oxidizes and flakes away to nothing like steel does when it gets too hot. On the other hand, if i've got plenty of air flow over it, it shouldn't need to be glowing red to pull some good heat off of it.

I've been tossing around the idea of the pot belly being orientated in a horizontal position with a large heat exchanger following it.

Similar to this, only a lot more exchangin' goin' on.

I have a larger pot belly that has no door like this small one, which would allow it to be sealed up nice, but i wouldn't be able to peek in to have a look at how it's burning.

Here's the bigger one. I'd be removing the top and lower portions.

image.jpg

Yeah, i know, i've got a few too many stoves. I like to be warm.

I sure will miss this thing though.

image.jpg

(edited)

I can’t believe this is the 4th winter running this setup. I’ve only made a few minor changes to it since the last post and it’s been very reliable.

58C529B1-A7FE-4D8E-AD85-B53CFC4314FE.jpeg

Yeah that's awesome! I have a house furnace in my shop right now and nat gas so it's tough to walk away from that but I would love to try this on a small scale.

I keep having ideas of somehow trying to scavenge the heat exchanger out of a furnace and use that with some kind of reactor and plenum? I dunno, crazy thoughts.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I can’t believe this is the 4th winter running this setup. I’ve only

> made a few minor changes to it since the last post and it’s been very

> reliable.

> >

Doesn't look hot enough to me.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I can’t believe this is the 4th winter running this setup. I’ve only

>

> > made a few minor changes to it since the last post and it’s been very

>

> > reliable.

>

> > >

>

> Doesn't look hot enough to me.

Haha, that thing looks terrifying. I'll stick to my miller trailer furnace.

Can anyone here translate Russian from a youtube video? I really like this burner concept and i’d like to hear his ideas of its design.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account