Re: Fishing

Overpriced Parts /

Very cool color, the ones in my lake are very brown color.

Carp is edible if it comes from a clean source of water !

What I’ve done before is fillet it, careful not to hit the Mud vein which is just under the skin then being careful to remove that with skin (it also helps if you soak fish in a little salty water for a day or two in the refrigerator if you’re going to got it try cooking it whole but I’ve never done that)

Cut in chunks, season them, put in some flour egg wash and throw it in hot peanut oil,

I’ve pulled chunks of meat off avoiding the vain yes you’ll waste some of the fish but it’s not like they’re not plentiful,

I’ve had people eat them and they thought they were eating striped bass Ha ha

Unlike Hungarians, I don't eat carp. At the lake i fished at you used to be able to take home all the small carp for consumption but the owner got fed up with all the Hungarians (gypsies) lying about how much carp they caught so now its only sport fishing.

The carp in the picture is the only one of that kind i caught, all the other ones where like this but there was noone around to take pictures of me with the carp.

IMG_20190925_125150.jpg

This one was 70cm or "a couple of feet and some inches" in your crazy system.

That mirror carp is awesome, nice catch!

𝐿𝑖𝑘𝑎-𝐿𝑜𝑡𝑎𝑠𝑎𝑢𝑟 𝑀𝑒𝑔𝑎𝑝𝑢𝑠 🦖 /

Tasty!

Overpriced Parts /

> Ana L. of the Aurora Roras Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tasty!

Yep being naturalist, outdoorsman, hunter, fisherman being able to live off the land anybody is dumb as a box of rocks if you don’t eat that fish or wild vegetables whatever to live

A few nice bass from the past few weeks

IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG

Any of y'all been doing any fishing this year? The bite up here is just starting to pick up with water temps around 50*

IMG_2720.JPG

In maine they let us start fishing early and dont need to get a licence because of the virus. Haven't been yet but hopefully soon.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I live about 100 yards from a major river here in northwestern NJ (Muskonetcong). They stock the trout right down the street and I’ve never gone fishing there in the 23 years I’ve lived here. Just never got into it as a kid. (edited)

Lucky you! Our idiot governor closed ALL waters in the state to all fishing. Asshole.

I'm still waiting for outdoor temps to go up, i can usually start fishing at the end of april.

> Seth B Wrote:

> Lucky you! Our idiot governor closed ALL waters in the state to all

> fishing. Asshole.

I'm pretty sure it's to get people outside not in public and mabye to get some free food since the stores shelves were empty. (edited)

They opened fishing season early here in CT as well, unfortunately (fortunately) I'm still working so I haven't been able to get out on the water much.

But water temps are still hovering around 50* so the fishing hasn't been great yet. Which is a good thing, otherwise I wouldn't have as much free time to finish my winter moped projects!

Pushrod Fifty /

I like to get blue crabs in the marshes off of Barn Island on Stonington, CT. I usually anchor out in my sailboat for the weekend and go out around 4AM with my dingy and a flashlight and net them in the shallow water. I steam them up for breakfast and drink a beer and watch the sun rise.

Also at low ride I can dive down and grab a quohaug and stuff my pockets with them, get enough to steam up as an afternoon snack.

I used to use a big strainer basket, crack open a few clams, let the crabs climb in to get em and hoist em out. Not much meat on the near-shore guys but we got some decent size doing this off a bridge by boothbay

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> I used to use a big strainer basket, crack open a few clams, let the

> crabs climb in to get em and hoist em out. Not much meat on the

> near-shore guys but we got some decent size doing this off a bridge by

> boothbay

Boothbay maine? I'm not far from there. We take an old 10 speed rim tied up so it stayed flat when u pulled it up. Tie some chicken bones to it and toss it off the dock. Crabs love it. You could use a moped rim also. (edited)

Nothing impressive, but i did catch this baby Asp, they're a new species that only got here recently due to the Danube-Mainz canal.

Part of the fun in fishing for me is catching rare types of fish, no matter what size they are.

IMG_20200410_170014.jpg
IMG_20200505_172342.jpg

Our dumdum governor just opened fishing back up in Washington state yesterday. It’s hardly worth buying a license for now. Spring Chinook are done. Spring Steelhead is over. There’s a few trout in the lakes, but it’ll be too hot in another month. Covid killed fishing 2020.

How much is a fishing license and do all fish suddenly disappear in June?

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> How much is a fishing license and do all fish suddenly disappear in

> June?

It depends what you fish for and where. Salmon, steelhead, salt water or fresh all affect cost. But if you want the full deal, with everything, it’ll set you back damn near $100.

Some fish disappear- the good ones do. You won’t catch a salmon or steelhead again in the rivers until oct-nov. I don’t fish in October or November, too damn cold. Th bite for trout is not nearly as good when the weather is hot either, and standing on the lake shore in 110* heat sucks too. The best fishing here is March through May, the rest of the time is just meh. We’ve got about one more month of decent lake fishing. Hardly worth buying a license for.

Closed fishing didn’t stop me though. This is how I got away with fishing during lockdown.

44259DAB-8F65-43BA-A447-08B877A84C0A.jpeg

Camouflage. Here someone caught me sneaking back to the truck for more bait. I had to find a new spot after this image appeared on FB. Think I’ll go have lunch with ‘Squatch.

100$ for a year? That's pretty hefty although I've been to countries that were even worse. Over here its about 15$ for a small license and 40$ for a license to fish with multiple rods (for a year in about 95% of all the rivers, lakes etc. in the country) I know Germany is stupid expensive so all those guys come here to fish Carp.

In the summer when it's hot you've got to change your tactics to catch fish. Depending on conditions fish will float to the surface or lay on the bottom so you know where to find them. On really hot days i go carp fishing with breadcrust, it's oldschool but still does the trick.

Overpriced Parts /

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> 100$ for a year? That's pretty hefty although I've been to countries

> that were even worse. Over here its about 15$ for a small license and

> 40$ for a license to fish with multiple rods (for a year in about 95% of

> all the rivers, lakes etc. in the country) I know Germany is stupid

> expensive so all those guys come here to fish Carp.

>

> In the summer when it's hot you've got to change your tactics to catch

> fish. Depending on conditions fish will float to the surface or lay on

> the bottom so you know where to find them. On really hot days i go carp

> fishing with breadcrust, it's oldschool but still does the trick.

Where I live it’s private, no license required here, white and black crappie and perfect size for eating channel catfish have been a good source of protein the past several weeks for many people,

The other day somebody came in with 20 yellow perch that were good eating size but he didn’t say where he caught them, damn I only caught a few eating size perch in this lake in 25years!

In Lake Erie I/the whole boat would limit out in an hour,

Yeah, that’s for a year. It sucks, but they charge separately for everything. Salt, fresh, multi pole, salmon license, steelhead license, shellfish license- all separate charges. So if you’re an avid angler, it costs a fortune. Washington state sucks that way. Way over regulated. I won’t even mention hunting. Good grief.

Pan fried cat-fish rocks....I can't stand the sight of the things alive, but sure can eat them! We are allowed to fish in MN. Not sure if they are even doing licences this year?

made a mess of crappie, wild asparagus, fried morels, fiddle head salad two days ago. no pics....my brother loves to take pics of him, and his catch..i dont get it.

The spawn has arrived in the northeast! Anyone else getting some big ol' bass lately?

IMG_2857.JPG

Overpriced Parts /

> Dirty Mike Wrote:

> The spawn has arrived in the northeast! Anyone else getting some big

> ol' bass lately?

> >

Yeah almost near that size but it’s catch and release until 15 June on my lake and they’re not good eating anyway that size!

watch who you communicate with! phishing all over this web site!

I don't eat freshwater fish anyway, ocean(l.i. Sound) is only an hour away and there are plenty of black sea bass to eat there. I don't eat too much fish though, I catch for sport and release most everything

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account