Re: Shit you find on the roads

I always pick up nails and screws off of the road. Usually with my tires sometimes with my fingers

Rock bar or spud bar? I always called them spud bar.

Either/or great tool to have around.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Known as a digging iron in these parts.

Also, shit of nightmares to be riding down the road and something like that rolls off an oncoming work truck.

Glad nobody got dead.

Jesse Nordlander /

Oh man, beechcraft bonanza 35. AKA the forked tail doctor killer. Sweet planes though

> Papa _ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Rock bar or spud bar? I always called them spud bar.

>

> Either/or great tool to have around.

Yes ive heard em called spud bar too. Excellent find. I dont like the new ones that lowes and home depot sell.

They're used for ice too. Anyway here's lowes garbage...

Screenshot_2021-05-04-19-00-01.png

I find the tip you have to be superior.

Screenshot_2021-05-04-19-17-15.png

20 bucks and a 14k ring

IMG_1465.jpg

^ for the win!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

My bud used to weld a huge monkey wrench on the diamond plate on the tail of the truck so ppl wouldn't tailgate him.

I was coming back from town with a brand new roll of Red Brand barbed wire, when lo and behold, right there on the shoulder of the road is an identical brand new roll. I stopped and picked it up and did a u-turn and returned the roll I just bought and got my 50 bucks back !!

I also got a swell telescope on the tripod and everything and took it home and looked at the craters on the moon. I've also found a lot of hand tools, a massive brass plumb bob, a brand new shovel and OMG I almost forgot.....I was in a play at The Palo Duro Amphitheater and out by the dumpster was an enormous late 70s era Yamaha 1000 powered mixing console in the Anvil Case that had been the sound system for the Amphitheater. I grabbed another cast member and we put the console in it's Anvil Case in the back of his truck.

It's huge and weighs a bazillion lbs and it's with my other gear now. That was a score !!!!!

Lest we forget rich folk's trash day, but that's another animal. I will always pick up stuff by the side of the road. What a bountiful place the side of the road is........

Resampled_2012-01-08_16-00-55_874.jpg

found these dudes in the road

IMG_3150.jpg

found this in the road. watched it fly off a truck, and the driver kept on going. some of the craziest shit ive seen. for the life of me i could not figure out how to get it in my possession riding my azuki 10 speed. couple bucks laying there. i rolled back by there an hour later and the city employees were just starting to clean it up. i always wondered when the driver figured out it was gone........hahaha

Here's a story from my archive of weird shit that's happened to me.

My crew and I were driving to a remote cell site in the California desert, when we got a flat tire.

Pulled off the shoulder of the freeway, and me, being the crew chief, stood around and had a smoke and kicked rocks while my crew changed the tire.

About ten feet from the truck, on the shoulder, there were three little sun dried sausages side by side.

On closer inspection, the sausages had fingernails. They weren't sausages. They were fingers. And they'd been there a while.

They were arranged in a pattern that looked like someone had placed their hand on the ground and chopped them off. Or someone else chopped them off.

We were also next to a big reservoir.

My first thought was to scoop them up and put them in a jar to display with my other weird shit (I didn't have, and still don't have, any body parts in my "weird shit" collection, in case you're wondering,) but I figured that could get me into a lot of trouble if the rest of the body was ever found.

So I called the cops. A CHP showed up, then he called a forensics guy, and soon there were 5 official vehicles and law enforcement of all types wandering around the desert while we were being detained and questioned on the side of the road and the truck was searched.

We were asked stupid questions, like why we chose that exact spot to pull over to fix a flat, like we had other options?

Although obvious that we weren't involved, the person who finds the body, (or parts, in this case,) is the first suspect.

We were let go after about an hour and a half, and went on our way.

Out of curiosity, I called the sherriff's department a few weeks later to see if they solved the mystery of the three fingers, and was told they have no idea what I was talking about, so I left it at that.

And this was 2000, maybe 2001, before camera phones, so I have no pictures of three sun dried sausages with fingernails by the side of the road....

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I always wondered d when I see shoes or boots just one.....

> ID OD Wrote:

> 20 bucks and a 14k ring

> >

$20.01 by the looks of it, unless you just left that penny

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> I always wondered d when I see shoes or boots just one.....

It's always just one. Never a pair.

azuki! neat, I think those were made by the same company as nishiki, I have a weird old kawamura frame that was branded omni but it's my favorite bike i've ever had, and i've had some real fancy high end stuff and real custom built bikes that I thought were everything i could want, but that old japan steel roady is my truest love.

> baird co Wrote:

> > ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I always wondered d when I see shoes or boots just one.....

>

> It's always just one. Never a pair.

Spike Jonze made a short film about this topic haha:

The keebler elves grow them on trees in Ar then pick them in season and distribute them around the country roadways in the wee hours of the night.I thought everybody knew.

Screenshot_2021-05-05-14-41-17.png

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> > ID OD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > 20 bucks and a 14k ring

>

> > >

>

> $20.01 by the looks of it, unless you just left that penny

no i stop for pennies every time. it was actually picking up all the change that led me to the big score. it must be a cultural thing, maybe symbolic or something. folks around here set Lincoln free. the roads here deplorable, however paved with change. 30 to 50 bucks every month, when im out with that mission in mind. it's paid for my moped gas, and oil for years.

i've got a 70's concord i really love, but the azuki is slightly lighter, and faster. Ive never bought a bike, people throw them away. nicer bikes than i could ever think about stealing. ive never stole a bike either. true story...my dad used to beat me with a dress navy belt, trying to get me to confess to stealing shit i found in trash or where ever. the guy never had a clue of my gift at being in the right place at the right time, finding stuff. reselling bikes found is feeble, and fruitless, so ive scraped thousands if i couldnt give them away. my nephew still has the bianchi i gave him. that was nice road bike, plucked from the trash.

I don’t know why, maybe genetics and a history of lots of hiking, but I tend to watch the ground carefully and see where I put my feet.

My dad finds 4 leaf clovers like a savant. It is a type of gift.

Well, nobody would need to be especially skilled to find this:

Outside of the Dayton Greek Festival, laying on the sidewalk. By measurements, it should be a .6 carat diamond. It is real, had it checked. Set in platinum with rose gold lower band.

I left my info at the event office and was never contacted. So, it’s ours now. Just haven’t found a use for it yet.

*It didn’t have any fingers around it either, so that’s nice. (edited)

C724F506-74EE-4041-98D5-62066D6EB5BC.jpeg

You should really put a little work into finding the actual owner of that. Probably has some significant sentiment attached. Leaving your name with event staff is not really adequate; they don’t care. Post it up on community pages, etc. Maybe contact a local jeweler. Put in some effort.

The girl is probably.still.pissed at the guy and doesn't want it back...lol

my wife lost her ring, it's pretty sad: it was a handmade custom piece by our friends, a couple who are jewlry and metalsmithing professors and now run a shop in Detroit:

https://www.radicaljewelrymakeover.org/gabriel-craig-amy-weiks

They're total badasses in their field and did this commission for us for almost nothing, a granulated gold and sapphire ring with twin smaller diamonds, all from my mom's old ring and grandmothers earrings.

and it wound up on the side of the road somewhere for someone hopefulyl to find, though they could never know it's provenance nor significance

That ring was found probably 10 years ago.

The little old lady, who’s withered hand it fell off of, probably has passed by now.

If someone cared enough, they would have come back and asked. The office was in the church that hosts the event. So, not like it would have been at all difficult to walk in and ask if anyone found a lost piece of jewelry.

I was going to run an ad in the paper, but it’s Dayton. I would have been spammed with 1000’s of fake claims to it a day. If I wanted to be responsible (make sure the actual owner got it) I would have had to ask questions like: what does it look like, where did you lose it, etc.

I do agree though, something sentimental should be returned to the owner. No finders keepers.

Thanks for the context. Understood.

> Papa _ Wrote:

> I don’t know why, maybe genetics and a history of lots of hiking, but I

> tend to watch the ground carefully and see where I put my feet.

>

> My dad finds 4 leaf clovers like a savant. It is a type of gift.

>

> Well, nobody would need to be especially skilled to find this:

>

> Outside of the Dayton Greek Festival, laying on the sidewalk. By

> measurements, it should be a .6 carat diamond. It is real, had it

> checked. Set in platinum with rose gold lower band.

>

> I left my info at the event office and was never contacted. So, it’s

> ours now. Just haven’t found a use for it yet.

>

> *It didn’t have any fingers around it either, so that’s nice.

hahaha i found ten dollar bill at the dayton greek festival one year. the wife and i ride mopeds to the dayton greek fest for many, many years. same for all the other ones too. i.e. October, celtic, reggae, blues, funk, hispanic festivals. we use the shit out of those little mopeds.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account