WHO KILLED SEARS

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

Re: WHO KILLED SEARS

Andrew Squiggman /

Sears killed sears. Their power tools turned to total shit in the last 25 years. The appliances are garbage. The younger buyers noticed. The older customers were brainwashed from their childhood thinking it was quality. Now it looks like Lowe’s is taking over craftsman. So long Lowes.

Andrew Squiggman /

What bank?

> Yucka Plant Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I don't care. It doesn't matter. It's not important. (of course, I

> didn't work for Sears and find myself out of work.) But, I guess, I'm

> going to bump this thread, 'cause I don't have anything better to do.

> Jesus Saves.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

terminal freight, part of sears, supported ours for 35 years. sears alstate...

a storm is coming.

> Ron Duggles Wrote:

> What bank?

Good one Ron! Jesus needs to put some of that cash back for a rainy day. Might as well be saved in a bank. LOL!

Professor Plum, in the board room, with the 10k.

yeah it's kind of strange Sears and Roebuck started out on the right path by having a catalog in which you can order things on which was very Advanced for its time.

they had a good quality of the service but then they started to fuck everybody over including the inventors and small vendors they would buy from them for a short. Of time and then they would have it manufactured themselves without obtaining the rights.

this put them into a lot of legal action some of which caught up to them and basically word got out that Sears could not be trusted as a vendor for your product.

Sears Denver really got with the rest of the world and changing things and their customer service just got shittier and shittier trying to still survive on what it used to be 50 years ago.

My grandfather worked for them for almost 30 years.

after he had retired and looking back you wish she had quit many years earlier but they kept promising him to be in charge of the entire automotive department for the last 10 years of his employment but it never happened so his retirement was not what it should have been but he was so far invested that he couldn't leave or he would not have a pension.

I know if people who invented toys for kids and basically after working with Sears for for 5 years he got shafted over and Sears was actually manufacturing the toys behind his back and not paying royalties.

All of their tool manufacturing will send overseas at the stuff was absolute fucking junk.

They also constantly ran ads for things to be on sale like the floor jack for $99 but when you tried to go get one they never had any in stock they were really bad at having ads for things on sale that were not even in the inventory just to get you in the door that was another thing that burned a lot of customers.

they're consistent bait-and-switch method of dealing with customers didn't go over very well either the general public isn't as stupid as they were in 1905.

The bottom line is Sears committed Financial suicide and they don't deserve to be in business anymore.

So fuck Sears they could choke on a bag of dicks for all I care.

> Sean Zuggles Wrote:

> yeah it's kind of strange Sears and Roebuck started out on the right

> path by having a catalog in which you can order things on which was very

> Advanced for its time.

>

> they had a good quality of the service but then they started to fuck

> everybody over including the inventors and small vendors they would buy

> from them for a short. Of time and then they would have it manufactured

> themselves without obtaining the rights.

>

> this put them into a lot of legal action some of which caught up to them

> and basically word got out that Sears could not be trusted as a vendor

> for your product.

>

> Sears Denver really got with the rest of the world and changing things

> and their customer service just got shittier and shittier trying to

> still survive on what it used to be 50 years ago.

>

> My grandfather worked for them for almost 30 years.

>

> after he had retired and looking back you wish she had quit many years

> earlier but they kept promising him to be in charge of the entire

> automotive department for the last 10 years of his employment but it

> never happened so his retirement was not what it should have been but he

> was so far invested that he couldn't leave or he would not have a

> pension.

>

> I know if people who invented toys for kids and basically after working

> with Sears for for 5 years he got shafted over and Sears was actually

> manufacturing the toys behind his back and not paying royalties.

>

> All of their tool manufacturing will send overseas at the stuff was

> absolute fucking junk.

>

> They also constantly ran ads for things to be on sale like the floor

> jack for $99 but when you tried to go get one they never had any in

> stock they were really bad at having ads for things on sale that were

> not even in the inventory just to get you in the door that was another

> thing that burned a lot of customers.

>

> they're consistent bait-and-switch method of dealing with customers

> didn't go over very well either the general public isn't as stupid as

> they were in 1905.

>

> The bottom line is Sears committed Financial suicide and they don't

> deserve to be in business anymore.

>

>

>

> So fuck Sears they could choke on a bag of dicks for all I care.

duh, everybodys gone downhill. mostly because you chose to shop at walmart.

Old fishing buddy of mine always told me a story about how Sears had financial advisors of some sort come in..they told Sears to get rid of all brick and mortar... keeping the catalog. Which is now how everybody shops... Amazon or whatever. So a tale that I heard...is they offed themselves. I've never paid attention to this matter or researched any of it..

> Brandon H Wrote:

> Old fishing buddy of mine always told me a story about how Sears had

> financial advisors of some sort come in..they told Sears to get rid of

> all brick and mortar... keeping the catalog. Which is now how everybody

> shops... Amazon or whatever. So a tale that I heard...is they offed

> themselves. I've never paid attention to this matter or researched any

> of it..

the irony there, the catalogue, purposely made smaller then most as to be on top of the pile, got goods to every household. you could even buy a house.

i thumbed through it many times growing up. we shopped at the oak brook il. store four flours high. headquarters was in oak brook.....home, sigh .

online is killing retail though something started long ago. i dont remember but its why they transfered him to nashville. (before the internet, 70's)

seeing the changes in the one we shopped at here you could see sears was dieing.

Online means more shipping. Shipping means more boxes. Where is all that cardboard going to come from. You can only recycle cardboard so many times.

I don't think trees will grow fast enough to meet the greed.

Not a eco tree hugger but does anyone else think this is going to be a future "whoops"

> cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> Online means more shipping. Shipping means more boxes. Where is all that

> cardboard going to come from. You can only recycle cardboard so many

> times.

>

> I don't think trees will grow fast enough to meet the greed.

>

> Not a eco tree hugger but does anyone else think this is going to be a

> future "whoops"

Check out Columbia Pulp and Sustainable Fiber Technologies. This is how were doing it where I live.

http://www.columbiapulp.net/

https://www.sustainablefibertechnologies.com/

Thomas Timmermann /

Sears sold my 20 year old credit account to Chase bank raised the rate almost 20 points. Closed the account and said goodbye to Sears. RIP

It's interesting if you look at their history Sears killed a good chunk of American history. They we're heavily responsible for the Swiss taking the watch industry away from American companies.

Poor management. Sears got divided on two fronts; Wal-Mart on the bricks and Amazon online. They devoted too much floor space to clothing and were over diversified. And they stayed in the malls. I think that allowed Wal-Mart to slice a piece off. I'm not sure when the US stores began selling groceries but that was probably the nail in the coffin for Sears.

If Sears had gambled everything on the online market when they had the chance I don't think there's any doubt they would be the biggest company in the world today. They had the delivery infrastructure and warehousing to do online sales. They just didn't pursue it (Sears.ca website sucked, and only got worse) while fending off B&M competitors and the rest is history.

Craftsman hand tools have always served me well. They might not have been Snap-On quality, but they were close and had a lifetime guarantee.

I think I saw an ad on TV where Lowes has the craftsman brand now?!? It is sad to see Sears go, but they did not keep up, plain and simple, not that I think new is better, but the world does, and that is that. I do miss the Sears, and JcPenny wishbook catalogs, the sears one had the mopeds and go-carts and mini-bikes. :) Fun times, long gone.

Andrew Squiggman /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I think I saw an ad on TV where Lowes has the craftsman brand now?!? It

> is sad to see Sears go, but they did not keep up, plain and simple, not

> that I think new is better, but the world does, and that is that. I do

> miss the Sears, and JcPenny wishbook catalogs, the sears one had the

> mopeds and go-carts and mini-bikes. :) Fun times, long gone.

And ace hardware

Maybe a better question is, What will kill Amazon? Because Amazon is killing brick and mortar small businesses all across this country. Talk about using a lot of trees to make boxes!

Other than hand tools, I have no outstanding warranties on Sears stuff. Glad of that!

Always bought my Self-propelled mowers from Sears.

Last one is probably 5 yrs old now and doing okay.

I will miss Sears.

I have a 1908 concrete tool I bought off an old guy I poured a patio for years ago. It was a roller made of bronze, studded with pyramids all over to embed gravel and could leave a rough indented pyramid pattern. Still have it, still works.

Baron Von Hamilton /

> And ace hardware

Damn I went to ACE 3 times 2 days ago. I have 2 ratchets I need to swap out.

Anyone have any experience trading in tools to Lowe’s or Ace? Sears was easy. Always hated when I broke one of my dads old tools because he had his name etched in all of them....but it is nice to get a replacement instead of throwing it out.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I've been to three lowes stores and none of them had individual screwdrivers, ratchets, etc. All they had were packaged tool sets. I haven't been to Ace, but I suspect the same. Last week I did find an open Sears Hardware store about 30 minutes away and was able to replace all my bad screwdrivers and broken 1/2" ratchet with new ones. I think some of the Sears hardware stores are individually owned, that's why they are still open.

ephraim zimbalist jr /

are they guaranteed for life? like they used to be. probably not...just answer my own question

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Yes they still are, but you have to find a shop that sells individual craftsman tools.

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> Yes they still are, but you have to find a shop that sells individual

> craftsman tools.

yea, but they are china crap .

« Go to Topic — end of thread