Car for moped prices...

100$ '94 Toyota Tercel, owner was asking $500, was rough so offered $100, he laughed until no-one offered more, his AAA even paid to have it towed here..lol, there are none of these in MN as the rust consumes them, this one has only been here 2 years, and you can see the rust over the rear wheel well...dude drove this thing here from 'Vegas 2 yrs ago with no cruise control! I have put about $300 into it so far, new exhaust pipe from manifold to cat, front brakes, did myself, reminded me why I hate doing that, and a new battery. Tranny was slipping hard when I got it, turns out it was 3 quarts low on fluid...good god, some people should not own cars...full now and shifts nice at 199,150 miles...I had one of these in the past but it was a stick as all these buckets should be...hell, even put $40.00 of wiper blades on it, I know, I know, but Bosch Icons are the shit, already helped in our early snow...Changed the oil and tightened up all the belts, this thing just hums....are there "kits"? Lol it is light and under powered, but the AC works. I commute on my mopeds in the summer, but in the winter...yeah. My beloved Crown Vic has developed a BAD fuel leak, and in pricing a new tank and the labor, I'm still money ahead. There are deals out there, keep your eyes open, your tools clean and you can ride for cheap. I'm a Chevy guy from way back, come to accept Fords, but I tell you what, Toyota, FTW. Not had one in years, now I wonder why I have bought anything else.

001.jpg

Re: Car for moped prices...

Andrew Squiggman /

You over paid

nice score. i had a 1981 tercel 4wd wagon. great little car.

in 2009, i bought a running 1982 mercedes-benz 240D w/ a manual transmission for $200. drove it home, and drove it to my first moped rally in LA (1300 mile round trip). I sold it to my friend for the same price, bought it back for that price, drove it to another rally 600 miles away, then finally sold it for good. the only thing i ever did to that car was change the oil and put in a new set of glow plugs.Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/18 10:03AM by kevcmc.

Bad Cadillac™ /

"Tranny was slipping hard when I got it, turns out it was 3 quarts low on fluid...good god, some people should not own cars...full now and shifts nice"

Trans fluid just does not disappear. You got an issue somewhere!

> Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Trans fluid just does not disappear. You got an issue somewhere!

duly noted, though the issue may be that the fluid had not been checked since 1996.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I had the chance to buy a 1978 Triumph Spitfire for $70..

I used to have one, It was earlier though, still carburetor. maybe 89?

I forget now but I got it VERY LITERALLY for moped prices - I trade a ciao for it.

Was a decent car though, insane gas mileage >40mpg, we drove it up to NH from ATL when we got married, and driving it back stayed a nice hotel with valet parking, it was such a pain to start we had to have the valet guy just show us where it was parked.

Andrew Squiggman /

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> I had the chance to buy a 1978 Triumph Spitfire for $70..

Good thing you passed

It looks like you just drove it up from the Mexican border did you look in the trunk!!

man those cars are rediculously long lived. a buddy of mine was a pizza delivery driver, he bought one that was totaled out, pulled the corner out of it and put a new control arm in the back (wheel was still visibly crooked) proceeded to drive that thing for like 3 more years, kept selling it to people, they would crash it, he would buy it back. it was hilarious. ran well over 300k miles and was 'totalled' by the insurance company no less than 3 times. if the rust dont get them they run forever.

> Ron Duggles Wrote:

> > Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I had the chance to buy a 1978 Triumph Spitfire for $70..

>

> Good thing you passed

Good one Ron! LOL!

> Sean Guggles Wrote:

> It looks like you just drove it up from the Mexican border did you look

> in the trunk!!

Good one Sean! LOL!

Come to think of it, Im missing a car that looks a lot like that.

> Sean Guggles Wrote:

> It looks like you just drove it up from the Mexican border did you look

> in the trunk!!

A) Illegal immigrants

B) Drugs

C) Dead bodies

D) All of the aboveEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/18 10:38PM by themotorhead.

Andrew Squiggman /

1. Tacos

2. Burritos

3. Senoritas

4. Tequila

Damotorhead, you are really negative.

> Ron Duggles Wrote:

> 1. Tacos

>

> 2. Burritos

>

> 3. Senoritas

>

> 4. Tequila

>

> Damotorhead, you are really negative.

Are you positive?

Andrew Squiggman /

Positively.

1- goat

2- chicken

3- El Chapo's head in a box

4- empty beer cans

5- the owner of the car.

6- all of the above including your mother-in-law.

1) 16 pounds of black tar heroin

2) 3 kilos of mexican ditch weed

3) 8 illegal immigrant border-crossers

4) don ohio's head in a box

5) all of the above

Andrew Squiggman /

Siggy. Now you sound like Don

> Sigmond Colón Wrote:

> 1) 16 pounds of black tar heroin

>

> 2) 3 kilos of mexican ditch weed

>

> 3) 8 illegal immigrant border-crossers

>

> 4) don ohio's head in a box

>

> 5) all of the above

I would say number 4 but I don't think Don's head has ever been out of the box.

No "treasures" in the trunk...I always go through cars when I get them, no telling what people may have left in there. @ Cadillac, I know, I was thinking the same thing, but it has yet to start leaking, fingers crossed, have several hundred miles on it already, if it survives the winter I may change the fluid and filter. Shifts nice now, trans will prob go forever, as the engine is not powerful enough to stress it! :) I wish it was a stick like my last one, much better mileage.

Good deal Stephen !

I consider a ok used car price (well actually a mini van, suv or truck) 800 to 1,000$ for every year of use including repairs so like 3-4,000$ for a vehicle I want to keep it for 5 years replacing only high wear items like tires brakes battery, wipers, headlights ect

My 03 Astro conversion van I paid 6,000$ out the door (not a bad price considering I bought it at a dealership, a one owner with only 60k some mi on it ) almost 10 years ago, it came with new tires brakes, exhaust and battery,

Over the years I Put a set of replacement tires, brakes, 1 exhaust, u joints, radiator (stupid plastic), intake gasket (factory recall far as I’m concerned but there wasn’t one on it) bulbs other few little things I spent around 8,600$ total including van for almost 10 years of use and hope to keep it a few more years for its still in ok shape, uses only about a cup of oil between oil changes and has only around 160k mi

Some work I did myself but the intake gasket, tires, universal joints and the one exhaust I had done by a shop, I did repair the exhaust just recently but it is still the same exhaust that was installed years ago just a couple bolts had rusted and snapped off so drilled out and replaced them,

I have had horrible brake rotor life due to rust and if not I could’ve save some money, van still has 09 battery in it and tires are close to being replaced,

I can’t work on cars like I used to so I don’t go for 100$ cars no more though I had many cars in the $50-$500 range in the day,

Next used smaller van or suv or truck I get I’m gonna be looking for something in the 10-12,000$ range, one owner with maintenance records,

It’s hard to find one owner vehicles that have maintenance records but when you do latch on to one you get good service life

^ sounds like you have done pretty well, I'm at he point where I dislike working on cars but for all the most minor stuff, but to save a buck... ;) In our winter though, no way. I wanted a van very badly this go around, but the one I had my sights on was sold/scrapped, and this was hard to pass up, awesome city car, easy to park good mpg and Toyota reliability, may do the timing belt in the spring if it lives that long, and I see it doing so. Not so awesome on the highway, is an automatic, 3spd, so winds a bit at 65..mpg suffers, compared to the stick shift version. Light wind affects it as do the half ass tires on it, got 2 "new" used ones to replace the illegal bald ones that came with it on the front, just noticed the other day no balance weight on the right rear...lol....beaters are fun, you don't have to care too much about them. Would be a great delivery car, IF I was 2 inches shorter, it is very low to the ground, the best pizza car ever built was the '90-2000 ish Toyota Corolla/Geo Prizim, a little bigger and a 4spd auto or better yet the 5 speed stick. I even waxed this thing, where the clear coat remained anyway, shined up real nice. I foresee several yrs of reliable service from this ride. Big fear is the trans, change the fluid/filter or not? Many times if you do on a car that has never had it done it dies. If a stick all you need is a clutch kit every 130k or so and dump the gear oil every 100k. Oh well, going to enjoy it. :) Crown Vic will be repaired by summer, have to decide if to do the body-work or sell it and trade up to a Town Car...mmm Town Car... :) I do so love a full frame RWD tank.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/18 01:39AM by keller_stephen.

Beast update, running better every day, did some highway driving, and will be damned if I didn't get 32.7 mpg @65 mph! Fucking impressive with a 3 spd automatic, or "slush box" as I call them. :) Rings must be worn as if you punch it hard on entrance ramps it will be down a little oil the next day, yes I check it a lot, total capacity is 2.9 quarts with filter. If you don't thrash it it uses next to no oil. Toyota, FTW. Had it going 70 for a while, but revs high as hell, but never gets hot....I LOVE this car, it is not a comfortable highway car, super light, but is a joy in the city. I really miss simple reliable cars like this, so glad I grabbed this. I may just splurge and get the body work done in the summer, not selling this until it dies. Rockers are super solid, og paint on the underside. :) 199.723, and counting! :) I moved the Crown Vic the other day, what a dichotomy.... Watch your CL all, f-a car payment. I get a lot of smiles and people asking me about this car, just like my mopeds. For the people who badmouth Sea-foam, the shit works, this thing had some bad lifter knock, added to the oil prior to the oil change, and 99% is gone, still a little tiny tap, but very faint, could be the timing belt tensioner, did the same to a friends 2010 Kia Forte, sounded awful, smooth as butter now. Post your beater cars! @ Will, I would LOVE a 240D, those are "forever cars" if you live in a salt free climate! Was yours a 5cyl or 4? I can't own a 5cyl anything, (ocd) :)

Yes, when I suspect dirt or varnish buildup, I add Sea-Foam to oil maybe 25 miles before changing oil. It helps.

I had never used it in the oil before, just the gas, but a friends Kia was banging away, only 120k too...wtf? So put it in for her, and within 15 minutes or so the lifters quieted right down, I was very impressed, she had the oil changed and it continues to be quiet. Threw some in the Tercel and same results.

Before I knew about sea-foam, I used to use transmission fluid (1 quart) for the last 100 miles before an oil change. It also helped with lifter noise.

A few years ago, I bought a 2001 Cavalier for $300. Over 200K miles. Had a blown head gasket, but ran great. Had the head machined and top end gaskets replaced for another$300. Drove the shit out of it all over East Kentucky for a year. Then loaded it down with everything I could put in it, and on top of it, and moved 2600 Miles away to WA. Drove it for another year before the water pump went out. I didn't want to do the job, so I put er up for sale for $600 as is, and ended up trading for a brand new Mossberg M500 and a Ruger 9mm. He hauled it off on a trailer.

Looks like my time to shine.

1982 Camaro, had some rust, needed a distributor cap, $114 on ebay, no reserve and they misspelled Chevrolet

1979 Coupe DeVille- Beat up, but ran great $300

1978 Sedan DeVille- Engine missed, had rust, but I drove it for years to college, $400

1979 Sedan Deville- Ran great, cold a/c, door jamb had a rust hole, $600

1985 Ford Crown Victoria, needed a fuel pump, $300

1991 Oldsmobile 88- Ran good, needed headliner, $500

1994 Oldsmobile 98- Low miles, looks good, needed ecm, water pump, $400 - Current Car-

1991- Pontiac Bonneville, needed a battery, ran good, eventually needed new A/C compressor, $500

2001 Buick lesabre- $600- Vacuum hose disconnected, plugged it back and it ran great, had dents and dings, nothing too bad

1997- Cadillac $600 DeVille Concours- Needed a hood and radiator- looked great

1993 Buick Century - 3.3Liter, torque converter solenoid went out, I unplugged the connection, and it ran great, no more lock up torque converter function.

2005- Ford Crown Vic P71 - $700 Needed Battery

1988 Cadillac Brougham- $500- 40k miles on it, needed paint and new top- rand greatEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/18 04:02PM by tomd4091.

I lose at this game.