Who Here Plays the....

Josiah Radebaugh /

Accordian.? And do any y'all know about repair of such?

Re: Who Here Plays the....

The eternal optimist was defined years ago as an accordion player with a pocket pager.

Deezy doesn't post here, anymore, but I'm pretty sure the accordion is one of his many talents.

O i do! Haven't in years though...water is the accorions mortal enemy. If your got wet I wouldn't waste a dime on it...

What do you have? Hohner? What's the problem?

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ah cool! Yeah water.... Mine isn't that far gone. The one the I've been playing the most is a 1947 Hohner 12bass. The issue is (I'm pretty sure it's ther valves) that when pushing in on bass C it has a very throaty sound until you either pull out of push a little harder. Also on the bass chords (A D and G) It is a bit quieter when pulling out. I know it needs a slight tune cause the vibrato is a little wonky. Now I really wish I could get another 120 bass because 12bass just isn't enough sometimes. I actually do have a 120 bass, a 1945 Franchini but it has tuberculosis... By that I mean some pretty small holes in the bellows. Ok so I bought this one off ebay for $45. The guy said it made some noise so I assumed he just meant it kinda plays just doesn't know how to play it. So I got it expecting some reed plates to be loose and some re-waxing to be done, you know the usual.. So I take it out of the box and looks pretty good Until I try to play it.... The was like zero resistance/pressure. And upon further inspection I saw something horrible..... Holes in the bellows....... I'll get some pictures later and what not of where it is and why I think it's repairable.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Ha, I got myself a 1927 menial and herald 120 bass, remember, we played together when we were uptown. It´s dry tuned with the classic white an gold decorum.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Oh yeah and the was that woman who played the violin and her friend also played the accordion.

Mama''s got a squeeze box she wears on her chest...

Pete Townsend

How about a little shovel man plan nn.

Jimbo "Chase Truck" Daddy /

The definition of perfect pitch is throwing an accordion in to a dumpster and having it land directly on a banjo.

My brother announced several weeks ago that, after lots of practice, he can play the banjo better than Roy Clark. Of course, Roy had just died, so anybody can play a banjo better than Roy Clark can now.

The reeds are mounted in hard wax, might be coming loose on the ones that sound off. I had a vintage Hohner piano accordion that my brother or one of his dickhead friends ruined by leaving in the weather and later a little cheap Russian made diatonic button box that was lots of fun.

The Russian one I had to take apart and fiddle with to get it properly playable so I taught myself a little about the mechanics of accordions.

That thing was fun, lost in an unpaid storage unit. I want another button box, every once in a while I get to looking at Cajun style accordians.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Well I know the reed plates are all in order. In fact it appears to have been rewaxed and re valved. I'm almost certain it is the valves because it was sitting trebel side facing the ground. So upsidedown. So they are now curled. It's only on the bass section and I think this is because the bass blocks have only leather valves. Im going to try either steaming and pressing the leather or buy new ones.

« Go to Topic — end of thread