I am dieing to work on bikes. how do you heat your garage?

i took a year off of mopeds to focus on getting my life together. i have anew job now, and i live in a new city. i moved all 21 of my bikes to my new garage. but just now i have come down with the sickness again. i need to get out and work on bikes asap. but its the dead of winter here :-(

how do you guys heat your garage? i have no electricity... should i go with a propane heater and risk death by fumes, or get a generator and used electric heat?

(2 car garage... i am big pimpin now lol)

Re: I am dieing to work on bikes. how do you heat your garage?

Just seal off a little space with a tarp. Work on your peds there with a small propane heater. Just don't catch anything afire.

I just turn up the thermostat, but I have an attached, insulated, and heated garage.

If I were you tho, I'd go with a kerosene/oil heater, or something that can burn used motor oil, i.e. A "drip furnace" . Exhaust it outside.

How cold is the garage is insulated are the doors insulated these can be big factors as to what to do post a couple pictures cuz it matters have a high ceiling or low ceiling is it just a Costco tent carport?

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

One of those kerosene jet heaters. Just crack the door every so often so you don't take an unplanned nap

Would tenting off an area and a heat lamp do the trick?

Dirty30 Dillon /

I run a kerosene heater in our one car space. Open front, in-home style.

Works great and there's barely any fumes once it's running

> Trent Anderson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Would tenting off an area and a heat lamp do the trick?

He said he had no electricity...……..I wouldn't run a generator for heating.

i like the idea of the jet heaters. but ive heard they need 120V to run the fans. the propane "Pan" style heaters could work, but i was worried it would blow the heat around enough.

i think i am getting a generator anyway to power my power tools. would it be stupid to try and run aheater off a 4000W generator? or maybe a cheap propane heater with some fans would be a better idea? :-/

garage is 20x24 with a peaked roof. id guess 14 ft at the peak. no insulation though. :-(

So the problem is, my dude, you're wanting to heat +/-5000 cubic feet of uninsulated space in St Paul freaking Minnesota in the dead of winter, without electricity. First step is to close off a smaller space, say 12 X 12. Frame it in rough, and insulate it. Ceiling too. The time and money you spend doing this you will save in heating fuel.

Also, can you run an extension cord to the shop from the house?

i could run an extension cord at my last apartment.... not this one though. :-(

ok... looks like i have more work to do. darnit!

and then i gotta tackle the lighting situation. dang... this is going to be expensive. man, i wish it was spring. :-(

Just tested a propane heater today... I got a one car garage lit it up, gave it 20 min. It was bearable.btw, I got it up to 38*Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/18 05:37PM by lrb.

I would put up a wall so that I had a 8 by whatever room on one side to work in and get a double sided wall heater so that I can keep the one-room super warm and the rest of the shop so so.

but without any installation there you're just basically pissing upwind.

^ this....bring a bike or the sub assembly of your choice inside, it is stupid cold this time of year. Over the summer insulate the garage, frame in the celing. Maybe one of the big propane buddy heaters? Nothing will be efficient if the space is not insulated.

Or you can use the Johnny double method.

Leave parked moped on rug with leaking fuel valve then attempt to start moped on gas soaked rug.

And whammo the shop is heated.

I brought the sub frame inside to finish the motor last winter. Lol didnt finish the bike since I quit my job and had to move to get this new job. So I just have to finish the assembly.

Thank you all for the input. I missed you guys. And i also missed mopeds very much.:-)

something like this helps a lot

X01BRN.jpg

Harbor freight 900watt 2stroke generator. They cost around $100 and I've powed a 40,000 btu fan forced heater, 2 4' 40 watt shop lights and most electric hand tools at the same time. It with even run a 3 gallon air compressor with no problem. Now if you get a 6 gallon air compressor you have to turn everything off but it will run it also. And I have 1/2 in drills and a electric 1/2" inpact and I have no problems. Oh and I'll run 6hrs on 1/2 gallons of gas.

^ always wondered if those things were worth a damn, impressive!

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ always wondered if those things were worth a damn, impressive!

I think he's just reading the side of the box.z

> Sean Zuggles Wrote:

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > ^ always wondered if those things were worth a damn, impressive!

>

> I think he's just reading the side of the box.z

Nope, I actually have one. I have a old 5000watt that's not so quiet so I only use it during the day and to run my welder. I use the harbor freight 900 watt late at night when the neighbors are sleeping. Like I said it works.

https://www.harborfreight.com/900-max-starting700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

It won't run a welder but a light, propane/kerosene fan forced heater and a drill, side grinder and other shit like that it can handle it.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 06:34AM by stephens.

Hell I've used the same generator at the Ride and Chatter thus year in RVA and used it to power a 300w heater and a queen size dual filiment electric blanket too keep warm at night in my truck

Long thick orange extension cord from house to garage. Electric heater. I just turn my electric heater on 30 minutes before I want to go out in the garage and it’s fine. And I won’t have to die of fumes.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

^ Just Dilithium crystals! :)

I'm givin' it all she's got, Captain.

I just started binge watching Star Trek. I got to the second disk of season one to the episode "Mudd''s Women" and they needed to replace their burned out Lithium Chrysals. Obviously, at some point they must have figured out that Dilthium Chrysalis were better.

I bought a big buddy heater for about $30.00 at Walmart. I think they had a glitch in the system then. I even bought the extended warrantee for an extra 2 dollars. Its a propane heater and I only used it on 3000btu but its capable of about 18000btu.

It has built in shut off sensors. You can but a battery powered carbon monoxide detector. Its not that dangerous with the safeguards.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I use a 175k btu kerosene torpedo heater. Heats up my big ass uninsulated pole barn in about

20 minutes. Has a thermostat, so it turns itself on and off as necessary to maintain the temperature. I keep my garage door open about 6" to vent out any emissions. I also have a CO2 detector in my garage as well. It's not ideal but it works. Just keep away from flammables.

You might want to just install a wood stove.

Swoop shop. Breathe deep before entering.

20181209_194042.jpg