Should I trade my n/r yamaha champ for a running kitted hobbit?

I have a beautiful non running yamaha champ. But I also have two. The other is red and has all the plastics.

Should I trade my non running blue one for a running dr kitted hobbit with a proma? Damn... it's such a hard decision. I want an army or running bikes for friends to come over. But I also like rare bikes. :'( what to do!? I am torn....

Re: Should I trade my n/r yamaha champ for a running kitted hobbit?

Trade that shit right now.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Trade that shit right now.

Really? You think? I am leaning that way too kinda. :-/

Can't wait to see who Scoops this one up.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

personally i would rather have a champ than a hobbit, but i think this comes down to preference. I find champs a bit easier to work on than hobbits as well. My old champ was a 2 speed that was good for 35mph stock.

He has 2 Champ's, and a trade of a non-runner for a running bike is a no brainer.... :)

^ this. Stephen nailed it.

Absolutely under no circumstance would I not do this.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

He has 2 Champ's, and a trade of a non-runner for a running bike is a no brainer.... :)

I can find hobbits all day long but champs are scarce. Plus they have 2 speed trannys on them that are hard to find. Hobbits are nice but more annoying to work on. Seriously how hard would it be to get the champ running??? It has CDI ignition, so long as it has spark then just clean the carb and change the plug.

Beyond that i have ridden both hobbits and champs. The champ is a smooth bike with that drive shaft. Great take off and a great cruising speed. The frame & suspension on the champ is more stout as well. It gets my vote!

Two non-running mopeds that are rare and difficult to obtain parts for trade for a running kitted Hobbit with promo pipe disc brakes new tires pull start with h p i........

BUMP

Jimmy Cincinnati /

running kitted Hobbit with promo pipe disc brakes new tires pull start with h p i

he said it had a DR kit but made no mention of the other $500 worth of crap you just blurted out. Yeah if it has that much money sunk into it then trade already.

A little champ history:

Sold in 1980 and 1981 only. They had a faulty lighting coil on the stator. So after about 500 miles they burn and you have to replace. But.. that means the ones you find have super low miles. I am hoping I can use a pw50 stator or a qt50 stator to get them running solid. And have not more intermittent spark issues. If it's an easy swap, i will probabaly be super sad about the trade. They are suuuuper rare bikes. I think they are much cuter than hobbits. But the damn ignition systems blow. I found a replacement coil in Japan and replace it. It lasted for 400 miles before burning out again.

hobbits are awesome, and there's cooler rare bikes than a yammy champ, IMHO.

> Dawn Fuggles Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Stephen Keller Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Trade that shit right now.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

hobbits are awesome, and there's cooler rare bikes than a yammy champ, IMHO.

Its not a Derbi Laguana or Puch Magnum LTD but they are cool. They are harder to find but they use alot of common parts that are standard for the yamaha line. You should be able to slap a QT50 stator on it as the motor is very closely related. I like them because they are small, well built, great take off, and good stock cruising speed. A stock champ will smoke my lightly modded QT50. Wish i still had my old one.

having owned both, im a hobbit fan. their engines have so much potential...

not being rare isnt a bad thing, parts are easier to come by, plus you can still build yours to be different then others

Jimmy Cincinnati /

not being rare isnt a bad thing, parts are easier to come by, plus you can still build yours to be different then others

I agree with that! I liked my champ not because it was hard to find but for other reasons mentioned above. Normally i sell off "rare" bikes as im too cheap to sink big dollars into something i want to beat around the neighborhood.

punkrock randy /

Hopefully I’m more lucky with my champ. Got it with 6,136 miles and I’ve put 700 more on it since acquiring it. It is a blast and I can’t wait to make it a bit quicker, but it’ll still exceed it’s top speed claim of 30 mph. Not bad for being 37 years old and stock:) That 2 spd tranny is the bee’s knees !!

« Go to Topic — end of thread