Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Just curious how those in the know might rate the quality, availability of parts, etc of various Honda bikes, for example; Super Cub/Passport, Express, Elite, Spree, Metropolitan, Ruckus?

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Yes I have a trolling opinion.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Well, it wouldn't be an off topic thread without the dozen or so regulars chiming in.

Play nice.

After I get all my mopeds operating by spring 2019, I think I want to get at least one small motorcycle, something no bigger than a Honda CB125, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling with this thread. There seem to be a bunch of the above mentioned bikes popping up between Toledo, Dayton, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Erie over the last year pricing under $1000.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Honda is one of the highest quality manufacturers of anything, parts avail is excellent as is reliability. I would not hesitate to purchase any Honda product.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Switch Brands and find yourself an old RD250

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

^ Great bike as well.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Dream bigger and

image.jpeg

1965 Honda Dream 305

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

^ Beautiful....

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Yes they are. My wife wants one badly. I told her I'd ride bitch on one of those. She has her MC endorsement, and sold her V-star 1100 before we moved from FL. She misses riding.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Hey Trent, if you wanna stay small, go with a Benelli. They're sexy. And Italian.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Dream bigger and

>

> 1965 Honda Dream 305

If that 305 is the bike I'm thinking of it's only a 4-speed not a 5-speed.

I remember when my dad was looking at Honda scramblers they had a 305 and a 175 and he went with the 175 because it had one more year to shift and was actually faster than the 305 due to the better gearing and being about 70 lb lighter.

the Honda I had that I really love for riding around town but can still buzzed down the freeway on what's a little cb400 4 cylinder 400 cc's.

It would rev out to 10 or 11 k no problem.

And the in town city driving was incredible when you had to make a right turn at a light you could do it at 20 miles an hour and stay in the lane it would lay down really quick and go.

But I really like my RD250 so much better.

After all it's a 2 stroke.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Yeah, the Dream is a four speed, but tops out around 100 stock. It's just sexy to look at.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

I do like the looks of those 60''s Dreams.

There's a guy in Akron listing 3 CA 160''s at $1200 apiece.

Well, then, are Hobbits and PA50''s good mopeds as well? I've been hung up on Minarelli V1 bikes for the last 40 years.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/18 01:40AM by tanderson78.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

My '78 Hobbit, PA-50II is hands down the most reliable moped I have ever had, owned since '98, when I got it the carb needed to be cleaned and one crank seal replaced, this year I put tires on it. That is all I have ever done to it in all these yrs. It fires up every spring, (with proper winter storage). I keep waiting for a failure, but runs out nice, 31-32 top end stock. down to 25-27 when I weighed 220, but lost some weight and back up to 31, quick off the line too. No where near as pretty as my Motobecanes, but I would ride it anywhere without thinking twice.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Just curious how those in the know might rate the quality, availability of parts, etc of various Honda bikes, for example; Super Cub/Passport, Express, Elite, Spree, Metropolitan, Ruckus?

Solid bikes. Depending on moped will determine how parts are looking. Something like a spree is cheap and plentiful, while other bikes like the dreams are getting pricey. Seems like OEM cables dry up for hondas and get expensive. My father is having a hard time finding cables for his Honda NC50.

I do like the looks of those 60''s Dreams.

Im not a fan. Just dont like the style. Nothing wrong with them but be warned that collectors are driving up prices for these and expect some expensive parts.

Well, then, are Hobbits and PA50''s good mopeds as well? I've been hung up on Minarelli V1 bikes for the last 40 years.

Yeah they are good, i just find them a bit more annoying to work on. You have to deal with the sub frame and the nice tight area they shoved the carb in. Not exactly a bike you can clean the carb quickly on when at the side of the road.

V1 stuff is well built and they use alot of standard components making stuff super obtainable. Its hard to knock that.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

i had a 305 dream. solid bike. they suck on curves with that leading link fork, but that's the only real complaint. that, and that seat is fugly. a $40. generic solo seat improves the looks 100%, and still looks period-correct, as they did offer a solo on those.

of course you could't ride bitch with your wife, and i don't understand why you'd want to, anyway.

yes, hobbits are awesome mopeds. dead-reliable, and able to go fast on the cheap and simple. contrary to what was said on this thread, i don't find them hard to work on--just different. it's a moped. albeit, it's not an E50 or a V1. IMHO, one of the best upgrades on a hobbit is an intake and a mikuni (both available thru treats) to get rid of the keihin that is buried in the subframe. of course, if you are rollin' stock, the keihin is a great carb. i can get it off in 15 minutes, and i'm slow. you can get close to 40 MPH out of a stocker by just upjetting, putting on a pipe, and modding the vario. if you do a small amount of port work, you can get over 40 easily.Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/18 08:16AM by kevcmc.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Jimmy Cincinnati /

i don't find them hard to work on--just different.

Do a breakdown. Clean the carb on a V1 bike then go and clean the carb on a Hobbit. Time both and send us a comparison. Not only is the V1 one so much quicker and easy to remove but that dellorto carb is alot less touchy than the hobbit carb.

Im not saying a Hobbit is a bad bike such as a french moped, im just saying it takes a little bit more time and effort to work on.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

I hate Honda's

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I had a CA 160. Bought it not running for $350. Cleaned the carb and replaced the headlight and then sold it for $950. Cool bike but it topped out at only 55.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I hate Honda's

I want to like them, but i feel mopeds should be simple. Mopeds = Moproblems. They need to be simple so that when all the quirky crap starts up you can get it moving down the street enough to get you home. In reality a properly built Hobbit will probably give little headache but i still perfer the simpler Puch E50 or Mineralli V1.

Ill throw 80's - 90's dellorto tomos bikes on that list as well. Love those bikes but when the dellorto is sitting under the frame its a real pain to jet and clean. Ive had my share of side of the road tomos issues.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

I'll take the Dellorto over any carb. I got at least 150 mpg and 28-30 mph from a stock Motomarina M1 engine, and also about the same from a stock Motomarina Sebring with a Minarelli V1.

These are not LIGHT, little mopeds.....and besides myself,they were weighed down heavily and sported large windshields.

Dellortos gave me very little trouble as long as I had my inline paper-pleated filter and used good quality gasoline and oil.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

> Dawn Fuggles Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i had a 305 dream. solid bike. they suck on curves with that leading

> link fork, but that's the only real complaint. that, and that seat is

> fugly. a $40. generic solo seat improves the looks 100%, and still

> looks period-correct, as they did offer a solo on those.

>

> of course you could't ride bitch with your wife, and i don't understand

> why you'd want to, anyway.

>

> yes, hobbits are awesome mopeds. dead-reliable, and able to go fast on

> the cheap and simple. contrary to what was said on this thread, i don't

> find them hard to work on--just different. it's a moped. albeit, it's

> not an E50 or a V1. IMHO, one of the best upgrades on a hobbit is an

> intake and a mikuni (both available thru treats) to get rid of the

> keihin that is buried in the subframe. of course, if you are rollin'

> stock, the keihin is a great carb. i can get it off in 15 minutes, and

> i'm slow. you can get close to 40 MPH out of a stocker by just

> upjetting, putting on a pipe, and modding the vario. if you do a small

> amount of port work, you can get over 40 easily.

Dont judge me ;) Prior injuries have left me physically unable to safely operate a motor vehicle on public motorways, and I no longer carry a DL, much less my MC endorsement. I miss the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth, and I trust her riding skills; I taught her. It sucks, but that's life. I still have fun and occasionally putt around on a farm access road thru a wheat field, if I have someone to go with me. I enjoy getting mopeds running, and sending them off with neighbors and friends kids. I hope to infiltrate this whole little town with kids on mopeds. I get almost as much satisfaction watching others ride as I did riding myself. Plus I can trade mopeds for yard work and landscaping duties that titanium and meds prevent me from doing. Working on mopeds gives me satisfaction and occupies my time; passing them on helps give me purpose. Win win. Hopefully I can spark some long term interest in mopeds with some of today's youth. Sure beats XBox and iPhones.

Meanwhile, I want a Dream for my wife, so I can shamelessly ride on the back, with my testicles intact.

A sidecar would be cool.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Dawn Fuggles Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > i had a 305 dream. solid bike. they suck on curves with that leading

>

> > link fork, but that's the only real complaint. that, and that seat is

>

> > fugly. a $40. generic solo seat improves the looks 100%, and still

>

> > looks period-correct, as they did offer a solo on those.

>

> >

>

> > of course you could't ride bitch with your wife, and i don't

> understand

>

> > why you'd want to, anyway.

>

> >

>

> > yes, hobbits are awesome mopeds. dead-reliable, and able to go fast

> on

>

> > the cheap and simple. contrary to what was said on this thread, i

> don't

>

> > find them hard to work on--just different. it's a moped. albeit,

> it's

>

> > not an E50 or a V1. IMHO, one of the best upgrades on a hobbit is an

>

> > intake and a mikuni (both available thru treats) to get rid of the

>

> > keihin that is buried in the subframe. of course, if you are rollin'

>

> > stock, the keihin is a great carb. i can get it off in 15 minutes,

> and

>

> > i'm slow. you can get close to 40 MPH out of a stocker by just

>

> > upjetting, putting on a pipe, and modding the vario. if you do a small

>

> > amount of port work, you can get over 40 easily.

>

> Dont judge me ;) Prior injuries have left me physically unable to safely

> operate a motor vehicle on public motorways, and I no longer carry a DL,

> much less my MC endorsement. I miss the wind in my hair and bugs in my

> teeth, and I trust her riding skills; I taught her. It sucks, but that's

> life. I still have fun and occasionally putt around on a farm access

> road thru a wheat field, if I have someone to go with me. I enjoy

> getting mopeds running, and sending them off with neighbors and friends

> kids. I hope to infiltrate this whole little town with kids on mopeds. I

> get almost as much satisfaction watching others ride as I did riding

> myself. Plus I can trade mopeds for yard work and landscaping duties

> that titanium and meds prevent me from doing. Working on mopeds gives me

> satisfaction and occupies my time; passing them on helps give me

> purpose. Win win. Hopefully I can spark some long term interest in

> mopeds with some of today's youth. Sure beats XBox and iPhones.

>

> Meanwhile, I want a Dream for my wife, so I can shamelessly ride on the

> back, with my testicles intact.

>

> A sidecar would be cool.

Well I wish you good luck with your dream of intact testicles riding in a sidecar.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Testicles be dragging on the ground in a sidecar.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

Besides, in a sidecar I can rig a throttle, and a BRAKE!

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> Dont judge me ;) Prior injuries have left me physically unable to safely

> operate a motor vehicle on public motorways, and I no longer carry a DL,

> much less my MC endorsement. I miss the wind in my hair and bugs in my

> teeth, and I trust her riding skills; I taught her. It sucks, but that's

> life. I still have fun and occasionally putt around on a farm access

> road thru a wheat field, if I have someone to go with me. I enjoy

> getting mopeds running, and sending them off with neighbors and friends

> kids. I hope to infiltrate this whole little town with kids on mopeds. I

> get almost as much satisfaction watching others ride as I did riding

> myself. Plus I can trade mopeds for yard work and landscaping duties

> that titanium and meds prevent me from doing. Working on mopeds gives me

> satisfaction and occupies my time; passing them on helps give me

> purpose. Win win. Hopefully I can spark some long term interest in

> mopeds with some of today's youth. Sure beats XBox and iPhones.

>

> Meanwhile, I want a Dream for my wife, so I can shamelessly ride on the

> back, with my testicles intact.

>

> A sidecar would be cool.

easy there, cowboy. no one's judging you.

i said i didn't understand. it's not as though you presented any of that information prior to now. leastwise, i never saw any posts if you did.

now that you presented the information you did, i understand.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/18 10:49PM by kevcmc.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

I'm an easy cowboy, that's why I smiled. No offense, you had no way of knowing. I don't generally advertise.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm an easy cowboy, that's why I smiled. No offense, you had no way of

> knowing. I don't generally advertise.

You had to say that didn't you I hate fucking Cowboys there ignorant for the most part or in love with their livestock.

They think they own the Earth the cows Sun Life stock ROM on yep won't pay the $4.50 year for them to do that.

so I guess that makes you a fucked up crippled and fucked up cowboy.

€80

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

I'm not really a cowboy. I don't even play one on TV. Kevin called me one, said "easy, cowboy".

Keep up. But I do have a pregnant cow, and a bull. I help my old man on his little six acre farm, and we raise our own grass fed Lowline Angus beef. But I don't ride a horse, and I listen to bluegrass, folk and southern rock. But I used to know a cowboy. And I'm still fucked up, crippled, and fucked up. And blind, Mostly.

Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not really a cowboy. I don't even play one on TV. Kevin called me

> one, said "easy, cowboy".

>

> Keep up. But I do have a pregnant cow, and a bull. I help my old man on

> his little six acre farm, and we raise our own grass fed Lowline Angus

> beef. But I don't ride a horse, and I listen to bluegrass, folk and

> southern rock. But I used to know a cowboy. And I'm still fucked up,

> crippled, and fucked up. And blind, Mostly.

Well hopefully the bull is the father of the calf in the cow.

I think you need to go to a rally if you can't ride bitch you can always ride in one of the vehicles used to pick up all the broken down mopeds or whatever I think you might enjoy it.

he'll bring the old lady with a sidecar and ride with us.

PS

make sure you duct tape your balls nice and tight so they don't drag on the ground okay.

Want to reply to this thread?

We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first you'll need to login (or create an account).