Re: Opinions on Hondas that are not mopeds

HA Will man i have not gone that far down the rabbit hole ever but i've brought back some hondas and man, the hatred... I feel ya.

My DT250 on the other hand, missing half the bolts, are any of them wackadoo wierd shit?? nope they are all off the shelf... Missing a clutch throwout bearing... is it weird shit? nope, just some random ass bearing ball i think i cut apart a 6204, close enough... is there wierd multi-phase electrical shit with contacts and regulators and batteries that melt if your tail light burns out? Nope! Just a basic ass moped wiring circuit.

Honda shit is just overly complicated, its good when its good but you get a bad one like that and you gotta punt!

That said, i finished up my Aero 80 (building it up for my cousin who wants a scooter to scoot to college) this weekend... damn that thing just loves to run! I hack and welded, and hacked, and welded, and more hacking a technigas q-tre scooty pipe to fit on there... pretty sick. Not as fast as it should be for an 80cc 2 stroke but the porting is pretty weak sauce. Starts first kick and shreds pretty good though. Maybe when my cousin is done with it, i'll take it back and port the cylinder.

fucker is tight in there... about 10 lbs of welding wire, a chunk of batavus header, and 3 hours later.

20190112_163121.jpg

sweeeet. I fixed up an old Honda 80 last year. only took an hour, don't even remember what, but I kept it a week just to "keep checking some things" so I could ride it to work. it was pretty satisfying. so goofy

^the 2 or the 4 stroke one?

2 stroke! but I've ridden the 4's and honestly there's not a bigdifference. the aero is maybe faster off the line but tops about the same. I felt like it was pretty restricted, and the dio elite 50's I've ridden seemed as fast or faster. but I suppose it's unfair to compare the derestricted 50 to as-received 80.

Moore Burns & Payne Crematorium /

Turned out nice!

yeah man, this thing is a doggy dog dog.

i bought a '19mm' carb off china with an electric choke to replace this one which is a '17'... turns out they are both dumbass oval keihns so the numbers mean nothing and they are the same damn carb.

i'll probably swop the china needle and float, just to get this working good, then make a determination on if the choke works, doesn't work, if the float is leaking, if the jetting is right, etc.

the exhaust port, just by looking at it, is probably like 155-160 ish timing max.

my thoughts is that they knew the Elite 80 was coming out in 2 years and they didn't want a two-year-old 1984 aero 80 to be WAY THE FUCK faster than the more expensive 'new' 1986 Elite 80 when it came out, so they choked it down with bad porting, tiny carb, haven't got to the reeds yet but it would be nice to wake them up too.

might try to trade for a used Zuma or TGB when my cousin is done with the Aero 80. It looks pretty good with the plastics on as long as it doesn't get stolen or crashed too bad. I think an offroad scooter would be an awesome beataround the farm bike, instead of a moto. Way easier to carry shit when you don't have to clutch and shift.

.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/19 10:53AM by ianfreeman.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

I recently got myself a honda metropolitan scooter. It's pretty lit. I love the style of it. I would never trade it for my vespa grande or batavus starflite though.

Last year when I swapped a Zuma front end onto my crashed Ruckus, I was impressed with the better design and quality of the Zuma fork. OTOH, I'd never buy a Zuma - or just about any other scooter for that matter - because of all that janky plastic. I drop my Ruckus like once a week and nothing ever breaks off.

I've worked on a few cubs, and they seem like decent bikes, although I don't like the idea of having to shift but not having control over the clutch. I'd rather have it the other way around - not worry about shifting, but have a clutch I can pull so I can coast downhill. Then I see this new one they're trying to sell has all these electronics I don't trust on it, and my interest is dead.

I think the only US bike of any make with a stock engine I'd be tempted to actually spend money on (my Ruckus was a gift) is a Big Ruckus. Step through, automatic, lots of places to strap things, looks like it can take some abuse, AND can keep up with traffic? It's got everything except for light weight... and hasn't been sold in 12 years.

Now, if they imported this 110cc delivery bike, I might be interested:

^ Wow, I would love something like that too!

HONDA cub sold more than any other bike to this date. semi auto has 2 clutches in them, allows for holding the lever mid shift until u pop it's 2nd clutch in, say 2nd gear and hole shot...

c100 = 49cc semi auto

c102 = 49cc elec start semi auto

You know Lia, i think you'd be really impressed with an early Zuma or the TGB Key West- which is actually in some regards a better bike despite being a clone.

The minarelli H platform is super solid and the big tires, good ground clearance, good suspension on the Zuma/TGB makes it a pretty killer combo. The TGBs are dumber looking but they have a bigger trunk and they go faster in stock trim.

Pre 2004? i think? the Zumas were built by MBK in france and the build quality on them is exceptional.

my first bike before getting into mopeds was an eton beamer, zuma clone. it was great.

Hm, that is reassuring anyway, if Minarelli made the motor. One thing I've considered doing is swapping the Zuma rear end on to the Ruckus. It's been done. I don't want to mess with some janky chinese GY6 anymore than I want to mess with the overcomplicated GEZ.

You see, the real dealbreaker for me on the Zuma was actually the legroom. Hauling 5-gallon propane and water tanks on the Ruckus is great because you can put it on the floorboard if you attach some footpegs elsewhere. That's why the Big Ruckus and the Benly are also acceptable candidate bikes, I probably can't fit a propane tank in the middle but they do have the big, low, flat rear deck perfect for a milk crate and a heavy load to go on.

With the Tomos, or any other bike, I had to haul propane in a trailer if I wanted to be reasonably safe, which would be fine except trailer registration is like $120 a year here! I'm planning on eventually circumventing that pesky tax by exploiting the loophole for sidecars :-D

Josiah Radebaugh /

Never ridden one, but I'm considering buying a Honda monkey. 125cc 50mph

Just talking about the new monkey in another thread. Had the chance to check one out next to the monkey and the new cub. personally the cub is way more my flavor, but the monkey looked halfassed compared to the grom despite being identical "under the hood" and sporting a nearly $800 higher pricetag.

still beats the kawasaki and other mini options but far from something i'd call worthwhile. I mean if you're willing to put some time down a used thrashed old original and actually classic monkey, plus a full set of new upgrades to brakes and tires and suspension and seat, plus a decently reputable clone motor spitting way more power than the Honda version is gonna set you back less than a new monkey and look arguably more classic. or shit there are full clones like the flashback from piranha. but I guess if you want the legit Honda it's cool, i'd still have a hard time paying that much more than the grom alone for a faux throwback repackage on a grom.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I would much rather have a a real vintage bike not a lookalike. This was mostly a "If I had to get a NEW bike, here is an option" I would take a real vintage bike over most new bikes. If I can find it Is I'd love to have a rd250. If not maybe another up to 350cc two stroke.

KYoot

20190126_165411.jpg

20190126_165418.jpg

I have an MB5, but it might as well be a moped, 50cc but no pedals and requires shifting.

9A1883B4-AE33-4AF6-926F-54AAEE3C95BE.jpeg

« Go to Topic — end of thread