Battle of the Mini's! grom, zx125, benelli 135, lifan 150...

So i've been on a mini kick recently, think im going to pick one up to teach the gf how to ride a shifty with a dck around on. practice wheelies, w/e. my question is, which to buy?

Grom's of course you cant go wrong... but pushing $3400 or so new

Kawi's are cool, havent seen as many of them around and they're close to the same

Then the chinese bikes... which i've heard pretty good things about

Benelli (SSR motorsports sister company, Guiytieng something in china..) TNT135, @ $2600, you get a LOT of tech and a 1 year warranty. 11hp or so, faster then a grom and better looking & a 5spd!! i was about to pull the trigger on this until i heard Lifan made a KP150 mini for ~ $2100, draw back on the lifan is it's carb'd, whereas all the rivals are efi. i did ride a Lifan last night, it's pretty cold blooded and i know i dont need to say it, but man all of these are dogshit slow lol

i didnt like the shifter on the lifan, i had my boots on as i rode up to the bike shop on my 06 yama vstar bobber and i really had to angle my tow down in the boot to get under the shifter. havent test rode the benelli yet....

i think kymco has one too but im not really interested in that

Secondly these prices dont include all the fees i hear they ad on. i wouldnt mind financing but i'll be dammed if im gonna pay $4k for a fcking slow ess 125-150 4stroke mini streetbike. 2500 is pushing it...

Im forever wishing KTM made a mini (EDIT, they have a Duke 125 but idt it's in the US :( ), they have the 300 but im looking for something grom sized

Then again i can buy used in teh 2500 range and probably can still finance through my credit union.

Can i get your opinion on them ? hence the off-topic section, yes mopeds are better, yes i can go faster for less. this is for myself as a fun pocket bike to take offroad, wheelie on and teach the gf how to ride something easy with clutchEdited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/18 06:50AM by sh00bs.

Re: Battle of the Mini's! grom, zx125, benelli 135, lifan 150...

*z125 and *Duke 390

Kymco k pipe usually comes in 3rd in the ratings behind the z and Grom.

A China bike you could engine swap with a Daytona, bbr, or takegawa engine.Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/18 08:33PM by andysimpson.

I would rock the kpipe any time.

^ Over a Honda? Interesting, I know you know more about bikes than I do, and I know Kymco make a great machine, got one running for an acquaintance, (scooter) the thing was nice well made, way ahead of the Chinese junk scooters, but always thought Honda was top of the heap. Thanks for the input.

Well I would willingly plunk down the cash for the new trail or cub after a positive test ride but I really have no love for the grom or it's ruckus loving fan club, and that much cash is painful to think about.

I came across the k pipe almost two years ago when I rolled past one in a parking lot and I had to go back and see what on Earth it was. The larger wheels and smaller size had me in love. I looked around and found some semi local dealers selling them at 2k msrp, but now I can find 2 year old models for as low as about $1200 and for what the bike offers I consider it to be very fair pricing. It doesn't have the same power as the Honda offering but on my list of needs in a bike that size I put power somewhere down around the 4th or 5th item.

^ Thanks for the info! I totally respect your opinion as a wrench, I'm much more of a rider, but you have given me very solid info on my Hobbit. For the price of a grom or others in this post I would prefer a Helix or a cm-400A

Yeah I just can't get beyond feeling like a gorilla on a tricycle that happens to cost more than some used cars. I would ride the hell out of it, but at the end of the day there would be buyers remorse and also the practicality isn't there. For something that I realistically will ride a few dozen time a year I would rather pay cash for it.

takegawa engine or the Daytona + a kpipe would be a Grom killer. The Takegawa is Japanese made, 148cc, has efi and a slipper clutch.

the Daytona 190 is also designed in japan and produced really nicely in China. It's carbureted and doesn't have a fancy clutch, but it puts out a clean 26bhp.

a $1,200 kpipe + a $1,200 daytona is cheaper than a grom and puts out 2.5x the hp for the about the same $Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/18 10:03AM by andysimpson.

> Dave & Bummerzz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> a $1,200 kpipe + a $1,200 daytona is cheaper than a grom and puts out

> 2.5x the hp for the about the same $

haha yeah man i had the same thought, holy shit that would rip.

I think all those 125's are pretty ok when they are geared super short like moped gears, but you get to the top two and there is just nothing left. Looks and setup wise that Kpipe has my vote, plus i really like the way kymco shit is made. really good quality on the mechanicals and all the extra crap they cut costs on (who gives a shit about cheap turn signals, they are gonna get broke off anyway)

i think anything in that size range i'd just get a TW200 or a XT250 (ttr 225, etc etc) something you can comfortably ride as a real motorcycle. I don't see the point if you're gonna plunk down 2500 bucks to just get a slightly heavier and more boring moped.

After going on a binge of research over the last week I would have to change my vote for one that was not mentioned but I feel is absolutely perfect for what you want out of a mini, The Kymco Spade. The kpipe is the look and size I want but scored dead last in every review or comparison for it's lack of feature for cost.

The SSR Razkull at the same MSRP beats the kpipe out all over the place and I like the look better than the Grom also, but the aesthetics look a bit cramped even if the ride isn't. The Spade just looks classy, has more power, a better transmission, cleaner looking gauges, a better seat and seating position, a usb charging port, and kymco build quality and reliability. I watched a youtube video of an owner that practically out of the crate took one on a 1,000 mile 24 hr ride and he reports it was nearly always at full throttle for the duration.

Oh also.. the Spade is EFI, which is significantly better for something you want to play with more than tinker with. The edit window expired on my post.

Local homie snagged the ssr clone by icebear for less than $1k. He loves it at least for the price. His friend has the ssr. They really aren't terribly different. He's the @half.percent guy on IG and he shares photos of him buttheading around on it occasionally.Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/18 08:01PM by blakea.

I do think the SSR offers an extreme value for the money, but I have two kymco dealers right here in town and they will finance the bike (or the difference between the others) and honor the 2 year warranty. You can't beat a thousand bucks for a used bike though.

> Blake MD No PM Plz Wrote:

> Local homie snagged the ssr clone by icebear for less than $1k. He loves

> it at least for the price. His friend has the ssr. They really aren't

> terribly different. He's the @half.percent guy on IG and he shares

> photos of him buttheading around on it occasionally.

not gonna lie i LOL'd. ssr makes clones of honda's essentially, now icebear is making clones of the clones hahaha i about spit out my drink. i guess due to ssr becoming a contendor soon against the big guys

Sooooooo as much as i wanted a benelli, and considered the ssr razkul, i got a deal on a grom -_____-

meh, honda reliability that's proven, efi, and it's brand new. well, 67 miles on it. 2017 model, female owned, couldnt pass her motorcycle license test after purchasing. i bought it for $2700, a little more then i wanted to pay but hey it's brand new! 67 miles? shut up it's still brand new

my ktm 2moke 300cc and 650 bobber get me my speed fix and down the highway. i bought a used yoshi pipe (100 miles on it) and then a u weld mid and i'll build my own header pipe.

Ordered stiffer clutch springs and a billet plate they said makes a world of difference

oh whale, a little over priced but it does put a huge smile on my face and will do 60mph stock. i ride my ktm to full potential and that power band is scary at times, i get just as much enjoyment outta pushing this guy to it's limit! tuning my metrakitted hobbit rn, i had my buddy on my grom and i fly by him while he was donig 52 lol

appreciate all the input, that spade is pretty cool and retro looking

GROM.jpg

My Mina powered sc@@ter has no problem running with Groms and cost me a lot less money, even factoring in the stack of Italian parts that are in it.

If I wanted a bike in the Grom class I'd probably buy a used Adly RT50 and build the engine.

My favorite of the little motorcycles on the market now though is the Suzuki VanVan.

that Adly RT50 is pretty cool looking

i like the suzuki looks but personally ive never been a suzuki fan

> Chris Szuba Wrote:

> that Adly RT50 is pretty cool looking

>

> i like the suzuki looks but personally ive never been a suzuki fan

I don’t know anythinh about the Suzuki other than I think it looks cool.

I’ve ridden a built RT50. A bit too stubby for my 6’3” frame, but lots of fun to throw around. Short enough wheelspan to be scary with a few hundred dollars worth of Stage 6 stuff swapped on. And according to the flowchart the rt50 isn’t a scooter, it’s a noped.

After finding that my tax return looks to be a massive increase from last year I moved forward from daydreaming and speculation on the Spade. I went to the only one of two dealers that actually had one on the floor even though it was the further drive.

I was astonished at how much bigger the bike was than any pictures or videos lede to believe. At 6'1" I had to put full arm extension out just to reach the bars if sitting bolt upright. My legs fit great and my knees are below the tank and well away from the bars. It feels so solid and smooth, but light enough to pick the rear up. I absolutely have to have one, but in matte black. The closer dealer said they could have it here within a week of dropping a deposit and I'll likely do that next week.

Decent deal on the Grom by the way.

IMG_20190102_174955.jpg

IMG_20190102_175517.jpg

IMG_20190102_174955.jpg

Doubled up that pic, oops.

IMG_20190102_175001.jpg

the tank and seat have a real 70's look to it. i like the billet foot pegs/shifter too. looks nice! maybe do a write up a few weeks/months/miles down the road on it?

Sounds like a good idea. On YouTube the vlogger "Dodgerider" (who is actually fairly interesting to watch) got one and has put up tons of videos on it and his experience with it. Nearly everything about it had him smitten.

The only element that most people complain about and I will try to clean up is the very basic and very ugly exhaust. I don't need loud but there's 3 freaking heat guards on the thing. The only aftermarket pipe is super loud but I saw someone hacked a cheap slip-on onto it and that's a good possibility. The O2 sensor is way upstream so it wouldn't be affected.

That's a really nice looking bike, agreed on the matte black, you said 02 sensor, injected? :D Definitely do a write up, I'm off to google!

Yes indeed it's a 12hp EFI 150cc 4 valve 5 speed.

^ super cool....I have never bought a "new" anything, but definitely want a look at one of these. I always regretted selling my M-B5.....

woah that is neat... 4 valve for real? doesn't look like the other off the shelf clone engines, looks interesting.

gotta say though, you're just inching your way up to a Van Van, TW200.... xt250, etc. the difference between being able to ride it on the highway or getting run over is huge for me, i wouldn't spend grown-up money on anything i couldn't ride on the highway.

Razkull is the most juggalo shit name

This came up a year prior or two and I was curious to see what folks thought now, doesnt seem anything's changed tho.

Personally I think they're all gonna be essentially the same, the differences are minute enough you can have the same fun on any of em.

I like the bigger wheels style wise on the kimco

I like the lifan for specs and value

And the honda and kawi, especially bought secondhand will keep value best. Like get a slightly used grom for 2k from some dude upgrading bigger, ride it for a decade and sell it for 2k

The Van Van is $1500 more and still not highway legal here. Needs another 25cc.

just pointing out the benelli is the only 5spd and 4valve, besides maybe the kymco? @135cc, i was pretty sold until i found the used grom