Put The Wall Up Myself

In my dining room. Well, actually did it with dad’s help. Was just a plain wall previously. Turned out pretty good for a couple of old cripples. Got the Barnwood from the dump. Actually, it’s all old, rough-cut, circle-sawn, red fir 1x8 fence boards that were rotten on the bottom, so we just squared the ends and put them up. We framed the border with rough 2x4 Cedar.

82EF829E-AF41-4684-83BE-70690621E7FE.jpeg

Re: Put The Wall Up Myself

recycle, reduce, reuse, repurpose.....proud to ya!

I'm not a huge proponent of recycling, due to the cost. I also understand the cost of NOT recycling. But re-using and repurposing, hell yes. I don't throw squat away, if I can maybe use it later. Extra points if I reuse it on a moped.

Looks good Seth!

dump eh? good score. My old man had some guy come pay him to reside his barn, just cuz they wanted to use the old weathered wood. it was a pretty penny too

Jimmy Cincinnati /

That looks great! Nicely done, now please come to my house it needs alot of work.

Kinda gives me some ideas about surrounding my indoor AC/furnace. Thanks!

Thanks, guys. Glad ya like it.

Rand Jacobson /

Looks sweet! I'd like to do something like this at the "head side" of my bedroom. Make the mrs. think we sleep in a cabin in the woods.

Are you flush on the studs or did you build off a little?

> Rand Jacobson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Looks sweet! I'd like to do something like this at the "head side" of my

> bedroom. Make the mrs. think we sleep in a cabin in the woods.

>

> Are you flush on the studs or did you build off a little?

The headboard end of the bed is coming soon, since I have some leftover material. I just screwed it right to the studs, over the sheetrock. I cut a notch out of the back of the 2x4 border, so the barn boards slide under. I used some of the boards to put up in a corner in the kitchen, too. Then I hung some old grain elevator doors on it for pot racks. I left a more uneven, staggered edge here. Less 'refined'. Gonna build a butcher-block-top cabinet to go in this spot next.

image.jpg

I painted the wall a dark flat purple first. It's kinda the color of a shadow, so you can't see it behind the boards. Since they are old, rough boards with cracks, knot holes and gaps, I didn't want light colored paint showing through.

Rand Jacobson /

Gah what deal. Looks awesome. Some people pay good money for that barn wood. Used to know a guy that got filthy rich tearing up floor boards from 100+ year old homes in St. Augustine. From the dump. Some luck!

I was just in the right spot at the right time, when the right employee was working and let me load up my trailer I just emptied of yard debris. i went home with a bigger load than I took there. I took it home and pressure washed it, and put it in the garage to dry for a year. It won't warp, shrink, or crack now.

Folks are selling that stuff for 3-4 bucks a linear foot around here.

« Go to Topic — end of thread